RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
GOM

Silver Collar spectacular

The exact result most people expected, the silver collar race lived up all the expectations. Huge effort and the result was in the bag going past the sprint boxes.

What about the after race , I found that as amazing as the race itself. After watching many many group one races I have never seen the winner whisked off to a tap to be attended to by more than one individual. I wonder what would have happened if Paul had been there on his own without SII I reckon he would have been charged.  How Bizzare

Did you see it in the heats? have you ever seen it before? Were those two dogs welfare more important this week compared with last  week and if so why weren't all the dogs there?

How long ago was it on this very site that a discussion was going on about a swab being invalid because the dog was not isolated from spectators or people other than the handler after the race.

Some dogs can be distressed after a sprint. I may have been ignorant of the facts but does this mean it would have been legal to run off to the nearest tap over the years to protect the dogs interest.

Good point though Reilly I have a 457 dog that struggles after his races. The tap it will be from now on I but only when he wins.

Where was Mike Austin when we needed him?

Interesting last paragraph... Charged with what exactly? For caring about the dogs welfare after running 800m?!

Don't think there's any dog that wants a bucket of water shoved down it's throat, even if it was a distance. Again the swab comes to mind.

Did you see it in the heats? have you ever seen it before? Were those two dogs welfare more important this week compared with last  week and if so why weren't all the dogs there?

How long ago was it on this very site that a discussion was going on about a swab being invalid because the dog was not isolated from spectators or people other than the handler after the race.

Some dogs can be distressed after a sprint. I may have been ignorant of the facts but does this mean it would have been legal to run off to the nearest tap over the years to protect the dogs interest.

Good point though Reilly I have a 457 dog that struggles after his races. The tap it will be from now on I but only when he wins.

Where was Mike Austin when we needed him?

How many other people touched the dog? Braden and Karen? What I saw on TV was a very thirsty dog that just gave her all on the track.

I'm sure all unplaced runners that went back to the kennel block straight after the race would have had a drink straight away?

I'm assuming there's no rules regarding a dog drinking water before being swabbed so what exactly would you be charging them with?

Shouldn't water be available to every dog within a minute or so of finishing their races anyway? I don't know about you but if I tried sprinting 800m, I'm pretty sure i would feel like a drink immediately after.

There's been 2 swabs that have been invalid over the last year or so from what I'm aware of, both at Wanganui. The most recent the security guard never told the handler the dog was selected and the one before that a large group of 'sponsors' were told not to touch the dog but still did so the swab was invalid as well.

Good question GOM. Never ever seen this before. But again it's not what you know but who

.Makes a mockery of the swabbing.

Ivory tower comes to mind.

I must admit my non greyhound racing friend I watched the Collar with made a tongue and cheek comment about the dog receiving a hose in its mouth after the race. If there's a rule saying a dog isn't allowed to drink water before a swab then it is obviously an integrity issue.

Bit OTT saying a 'bucket' of water shoved down its throat. I'm no doctor dolittle but the dog seemed to want a drink IMO.

A brilliant race for sure! It was good to see the dogs welfare being the most important part but really did Braden need a hand just to give the dog a drink? Its not allowed in any other swabbing case, Karen really didn't need to be there to hand him the hose IMO,  Freeman stood back and waited which was the right thing to do.

Officials were way in the background Corey. I repeat have you ever seen it happen before. I am sure every other dog that has ever won the silver collar would feel the same.

Reilly, watch the whole thing again, the dog had no option but to drink because The hose was being squirted down it's throat so drink it had to whether it wanted it or not.  Watch what happens from now on because everyone that gets a swab will be able to head for the nearest tap with an assistant waiting.

By the way I have sprinted 800m many times and was never allowed a drink immediately at the end of it. In the first 20 or 30 times the race officials wouldn't allow it and the other time the policeman wouldn't let me.

One other error on your part, Modest Mouse is not a non greyhound racing person, in fact Mouse was probably racing them before you were backing them.

Officials were way in the background Corey. I repeat have you ever seen it happen before. I am sure every other dog that has ever won the silver collar would feel the same.

Reilly, watch the whole thing again, the dog had no option but to drink because The hose was being squirted down it's throat so drink it had to whether it wanted it or not.  Watch what happens from now on because everyone that gets a swab will be able to head for the nearest tap with an assistant waiting.

By the way I have sprinted 800m many times and was never allowed a drink immediately at the end of it. In the first 20 or 30 times the race officials wouldn't allow it and the other time the policeman wouldn't let me.

One other error on your part, Modest Mouse is not a non greyhound racing person, in fact Mouse was probably racing them before you were backing them.

I'm aware of who modest mouse is, and yep your right she was racing them before I was backing them! Try reading what I wrote again before pointing out my 'errors'.

I'm sure anyone in professional sport using PED's isn't going to rely on water as a masking agent!!

I've seen quite a few photos on twitter of dogs getting a drink from a hose at Sandown park after big races, in fact theirs one of Sweet It Is having a drink, oh no!!

I was on track and present at the presentation for both the heats and final. After the heat Braden did not want to wait on the dais for the photos stating he had to get the girl a drink. Several times he said this and as soon as able he was off to the tap. Coming back after for the TV interview. I presume it was prearranged for the final I can assure you that Zoe was looking for that water.

Maybe they do things differently in Australia. On trackside for G1 races at the Meadows I have seen the presentation held sometime later indoors under the stand. Maybe we can learn something from this.

I do not normally ask/let my dogs drink from a hose but at the moment have 3 youngsters that after both 318 or 527 races on entering the kennel block tow me to the hoses.

Gordon "Jetsun" Wilson.

I remember one of the collars we were in , not sure which one it was but I think it was one of Goodies Aqua dogs that won this race and the whole field went up into the main stand straight after the race  for the presentation, after complaining about the dogs needing a drink they were all brought a jug of water from the bar !!!!!

Yes so true  Craig  and I ran second with Rewa Monsoon.. I refused to do the presentation until my girl  got a drink!!!.. I walked out and was charged and fined..   very humiliating dealing with it, I can assure you, but my girl that almost was a runaway winner apart from the last few  strides was deserving of being looked after as a matter of priority. Clarkie

Yes it is a welfare issue and water is always made available to all greyhounds directly after any feature race in Australia and presentations are not done until the dogs are properly cooled down. Hoses  are available at the catching pen areas at most tracks even on normal racedays, in hot weather tubs of ice water are placed handily to the pen.

So long as the dog is always under supervision, within sight of stewards or officials and even under video or camera surveillance there should not be any problem. 

In the Dapto Megastar last year the winner was still a bit hot on the dais so a couple of bottles of Mount Franklin water was grabbed from the bar and squirted all over him and down his throat during the presentation.

The only stipulation is that the water must be from the natural supply and from the same source as that used in the wash bay. A trainer is not permitted to use his own water or electolytes prior to a swab( as the source may not be verified) however unopened commercially available bottled water is allowed when there is no other alternative.  

Times are a changing and fortunately for the better so let's not make an issue out of something trivial.

Shaky,  The trainers that come on here that obviously do not care about their dogs welfare because they do not rush off to a hose immediately after a race include your boss who didn't appear to be worrying about the same  when Brando won the collar.

Howdy Bunyarra,

Thanks for the info about what goes on in Australia. I think with the temperatures in Aus being far above what we race in here ( hot enough to call the meeting off for example) it makes sense to have water available quickly and maybe we could review what we do here and see if there is a need for the same. However we are talking about a winters day in NZ where there has never been a problem before.

In my experience most dogs that have really tried hard during a race drink very little immediately after finishing and in humans it is advised not to drink a lot of water immediately after a race or exertion. Even in heat stress it is quite dangerous to drink a lot of water immediately. I presume a lot of the water you are talking about is for cooling the animal.

I am quite certain that Arch's bitch came to no harm being hosed down and watered in the normal manner.

I'm not quite sure Mike, The charge was heard in house that night of the race!  .A Track steward wearing shorts and a white short coat at the time tried to Bully me into taking my dog back into the Stadium all the way to the wash area  and I  flatly refused, which become part of the charge... I  was under the rules wrong!!!.and I admitted that in the hearing. (I am trying to think of the name of the Stipependary representation). He was a real neat man that was from the Standardbred Code and we used to talk about breeding lots and I trusted him naturally because  he was genuine . He actually came to my defence that night.!!!   I can't honestly remember Mike, the charges and fine I copped  ..It was honestly,  immaterial, in thoughts at the time .,    Principles and the love of my dog was on the only issue apart from the emotion that is experienced when your dog  rewards you for the hours and hours of input ..... Anyway you know ..what I'm on about? ...you  experienced the rewarding feeling over and over with Your Boy....I'm still trying to get to that  performance from any of my dogs, but I'm just so rapt to have had, a home bred puppy win first up for a new owner today..  Clarkie