RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
beerwithduncan

Read form...or watch form?

For many years I purchased racebooks every week. I often found the form write up's very misleading. We were tipped into a horse and told it was a certainty beaten at it's previous start. I was shown a VHS video replay of the race and could see the horse was bolting and never got a crack at them. Was climbing over the top of everything but just couldn't get a run.

Went to the TAB..put all I could afford on the horse and went home. Stopped on the way and bought a racebook. Checked out the form write up on the horse in question and was stunned. "Midfield,battled fairly". How could they get that so wrong. To me it was one of two choices. Deception from the form writer to inflate the horses price or pure incompetence.

I expected the horse to pay around $1.80 to $2.20. It won easily and paid $6. I was stoked but questioned how many people had been put off by the form write up. After a few more similar examples I stopped buying racebooks in the mid 90's.

Two weeks ago we were told about a horse racing at the upcoming Nelson meeting called Happy As Larry. The tip was back it for a place on the first day and unload on the second day. 

Happy As Larry was running on strongly on day one when the Dexter Dunn drive Go Fella Go moved out sharply and collected Happy As Larry resulting in that runner going off stride and finishing fifth. I was hopeful Happy As Larry would have run into third placing at the time it was wiped out. Two things I was certain of. Go fella Go was 100% responsible for Happy As Larry going off stride and that situation unquestionably cost Happy As Larry a better placing. I understand the rules have changed regarding protests of this nature and the less said about that the better.

Here is the replay of that race.

http://harness.hrnz.co.nz/gas/wa/r/infohorsewahr/wsd01x?Arg=hrnzg-Ptype&Arg=RaceVideo&Arg=hrnzg-RacehdrID&Arg=210981

Here's what the stewards say happened.

HAPPY AS LARRY (J Cox) broke with 100 metres remaining when awkwardly placed to the outside of GO FELLA GO (D Dunn). After viewing available films with Drivers Dunn and Cox it was established that GO FELLA GO had ducked outwards abruptly onto HAPPY AS LARRY after being improved to make a run despite the corrective measures of Mr Dunn. Taking this into account no action was required other than to warn the racing manners of GO FELLA GO

It's perplexing to me that stewards would say in their report that Happy As Larry broke when awkwardly placed to the outside of Go Fella Go. Happy As Larry was not awkwardly placed at all. How is it possible that any horse on a NZ racetrack driven by any driver can demolish the prospects of a potentially placed horse and suffer no consequences whatsoever for those actions especially when those actions allowed offending horse to finish in second placing? This situation is just wrong and close to a rort.

So today is the second day of the meeting at Nelson. I take the advice given a few weeks ago and punt Happy As Larry on the second day. Knowing what happened on the first day gave me even more confidence. Put my bet on with two offshore betting agencies as I've lost confidence in the NZ TAB.

Sat back to watch the race and was surprised the horse was paying so well so took a quick look at the way the NZ form writer had described the run of Happy as Larry on the first day on the NZ TAB site. Expected to read something similar to "Unluckily knocked over on the first day when running on strongly"

Instead I read the following "Cost himself with a late break here on Friday. Eachway claims"

How could anyone watch that race and say Happy As Larry cost himself with a late break? That description leaves those who didn't actually see the race believing the horse is it's own worst enemy. I believe that to be inaccurate at best. Surely form writers have a responsibility to make the effort to get it right? 

Reminded me why I haven't purchased a NZ racebook for over 20 years. Anyone who values their betting money needs to do their form via video replay and throw the racebook in the bin.

Hard to have confidence when Mickey Mouse is in charge.

So beerwithduncan I agree with you about race book comments & styps reports they are misleading unless you see the race in the flesh..........but

....Yes but why post this you blithering idiot after the horse had won today at 11.41am.....no balls duncan!!

So beerwithduncan I agree with you about race book comments & styps reports they are misleading unless you see the race in the flesh..........but

....Yes but why post this you blithering idiot after the horse had won today at 11.41am.....no balls duncan!!

Nice way for me to bring up my 1000th and final post on Racecafe.

I thought my message was well thought out and reasoned. I highlighted Stewards turning a blind eye to a situation that unquestionably impacted on the result of a race and how form writers can prove to be more a hindrance than a help to punters. For this I'm described as a blithering idiot with no balls. You've even got someone else agreeing with you.

Thank you for that. You've just obliterated my interest in Racecafe.

My message was not about tipping people into a winner. I've done that many times on this website while I was here.

It was about things far more important than one single race result.

Good luck all.

Duncan 

C'mon Dunc....surely you are not that thin skinned...??!!

My post was tongue in cheek, and Moose posted after 7.30pm so was probably pissed or high as a kite, or both...

Your posts are always worth a read...replies are always good natured on here, so don't give it up mate.....;)

Cubes once got very offended when Zelda called Cubes an idiot .

We had a sulk .

Then Cubes realised Zelda called just about everyone an idiot .

And Cube's 2nd ever post was about how we thought the NZTR website was OK and posters got stuck into Cubes big time and said why don't we all sit 'round a campfire and sing "Kumbaya" and even von S posted a music video of it and Cubes had hurt feelings then too .

But BeerwithDuncan you must realise we think your posts are very well written , a lot of time and effort goes into them , you are obviously intelligent and an astute observer , and have much to add to the Racecafe community .

Please

Take a deep breath and reconsider

Your friend (though we have meet )

Cubes (the third)

I know where you're coming from B'Dunc and your post was informative, and as I know you, I hope you will see and remember :) that forum members will post all sorts of things on here, often it's not meant personally because they don't really know you, it is just what might come into their head at the time when they read one specific thing in a post, I think I might have even called you an idiot at one time or another :D    and you talked to me again :P    Hope to see you posting again sooner rather than later big guy, the forum would be the poorer for it :)

Moosey can get thin skinned after a skinfull and has been known to pull the blithering idiot card out at short notice,just words nothing malicious. I will get him on the speights mid ales for a while and bobs your uncle

:) you mean... and B'Dunc's your Uncle :)  (did you see that.. see that play on words?... class that .. )

Yep Ohokaman hit the nail on the head...not that high stuff thow...so Dunc you can call off the taka police :)...was rather nit picking than picking on mate. Im only a baby on here with teething probs (300 odd 1 sentence posts, compared too 1000 multi paragraph posts!)

I believe I owe you a beer Duncan... :D

Cubes once got very offended when Zelda called Cubes an idiot .

We had a sulk .

Then Cubes realised Zelda called just about everyone an idiot .

And Cube's 2nd ever post was about how we thought the NZTR website was OK and posters got stuck into Cubes big time and said why don't we all sit 'round a campfire and sing "Kumbaya" and even von S posted a music video of it and Cubes had hurt feelings then too .

But BeerwithDuncan you must realise we think your posts are very well written , a lot of time and effort goes into them , you are obviously intelligent and an astute observer , and have much to add to the Racecafe community .

Please

Take a deep breath and reconsider

Your friend (though we have meet )

Cubes (the third)

From Zelda that would be idoit not idiot

A fine line

On 6/7/2015 at 9:08 PM, beerwithduncan said:

Nice way for me to bring up my 1000th and final post on Racecafe.

I thought my message was well thought out and reasoned. I highlighted Stewards turning a blind eye to a situation that unquestionably impacted on the result of a race and how form writers can prove to be more a hindrance than a help to punters. For this I'm described as a blithering idiot with no balls. You've even got someone else agreeing with you.

Thank you for that. You've just obliterated my interest in Racecafe.

My message was not about tipping people into a winner. I've done that many times on this website while I was here.

It was about things far more important than one single race result.

Good luck all.

Duncan 

But you will continue to morph into another name to go along with your many others and abuse the privilege elsewhere. Joe Kidd being the latest on the sewer site

For those of you who wanted to know what happened to this character