RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
IWMC

Breeding advice please. Free 5% share on offer.

I am seeking your opinions on a prospective stallion for my maiden broodmare Ekstra Special.

She is a 9yo by Ekraar out of Kapai Sun. A chestnut who stands 16 hands.

Race wise she started 63 times for 29 placings including 3 wins and 5 seconds.

I have had success breeding trotters and any guidance you can provide in this code with this thoroughbred mare would be appreciated.

I am not tied to a price bracket as I believe a maiden mare must be served by a quality or in vogue stallion to kick off the breeding line.

Besides Phil Cataldo told me once when discussing the costs of a service fee for a trot sire.…"you only pay the service fee once."

Thank you for your advice.

To show you how serous and genuine I am i will give a free 5% share of the foal if I accept your mating recommendation.

If it was me, I'd be going with Giants Step's at Linwood Park without hesitation.  Champion 3yr old in Chile, he is from the same family as Ekraar and reinforces Ekraar's dam Sacahuista nicely (US Champion 3yr old filly).  Also brings together a son and daughter of Roberto and reinforces Nasrullah further back too.  I also like the two lines of Storm Cat with Green Desert, reinforcing Somethingroyal.  Price is great too!

Phil Cataldo is one of the best in the business. I would ask which stallion he likes. Somehow I doubt it would be Giant Steps.

Storm Cat over Storm Cat could be a bit intense and am not sure how strong the form is in Chile.

Consider something that has form in Australia. It has been the most consistent ingredient for NZ stallion success in the last 10 years.

Am not saying all horses with Group Australian form but it is clear to see that a greater proportion have done well.

I like Makfi,  I start by looking at the male lines of the dams in Ekstra Specials female line. Like to see them duplicated in a stallion somehow , through females or if not possible then as brood-mare sires in the stallion. 

post-8706-0-16614500-1432266913_thumb.jp

A great example of using the male lines of the mares and duplicating them through the brood-mare sires in a stallion.  I like the fact that their are duplications on both sides of the stallion and the mares pedigree. 

post-8706-0-97165100-1432267518_thumb.jp

Personnally I find it hard to go past the 2 x Storm Cat cross of Giants Steps with Green Desert.  Green Desert is a proven cross with Storm Cat's family (Crimson Saint). Black Caviar (Royal Academy) and more recently Able Friend (Storm Cat) being good examples of this.  This is the way I'd go if focussing purely on race speed rather than the sales ring.

Giants Steps also adds a lot more to Ekraar than Makfi imo.  Ekraar is from the Roberto sire line.  Roberto is from a Nashua mare and his dam sire Bull Lea is from the 9-f family.  Ekraar's 3rd dam Nalee is also a Nasua mare out of the 9-f family which would appear to be the key to his pedigree.  Giants Steps reinforces this Roberto (Nashua/9-f) / 9-f female line cross build up in Ekraar superbly.

Thank all of you who have given advice. It is very much appreciated. 

The existence and links to Giant Steps was news to me.The stallions details don't appear on the studs website as yet.I will post the stallions name when the decision is made and honor my 5% offer after foaling if your nom is used.

If it was me, I'd be going with Giants Step's at Linwood Park without hesitation.  Champion 3yr old in Chile, he is from the same family as Ekraar and reinforces Ekraar's dam Sacahuista nicely (US Champion 3yr old filly).  Also brings together a son and daughter of Roberto and reinforces Nasrullah further back too.  I also like the two lines of Storm Cat with Green Desert, reinforcing Somethingroyal.  Price is great too!

Ditto.  Sacahuista was a good race mare as well as a superior producer.  Sitting right in the middle of your proposed pedigree.  It is good when studs get a stallion in to support the mares by their former stallions.  White Robe do this all the time as do other VG successful Studs.

Yes Huey ,he did .

In IWMC topic above he is looking at taking his mare to a suitable stallion and not buying at the sales.He's in it for the long haul whether he sells or races and is "not tied to a price bracket" on service fee.

Thanks guys for the advice to date.

What i omitted to say when referring to Phils advice in my original post was that he also said " the costs to raise a yearling were the same thereafter" as SWOOPA posted above.

The responses have created food for thought. 

If the call I make with Ekstra Special is as good as I have made with my trotting mares then i will be extremely happy. 

My 3yo trotting filly (Harriet of Mot) won her third in a row yesterday by 7.5 lengths and looks extra special.? 

IWMC...

No need for a question mark, in my opinion.

She simply jogged it yesterday.

I note that her grandma left Earl Of Mot, who held the Australasian race mile record for a time.

Big shoes to fill, but her footwear is growing in stature with every start.

All the best.

Ashoka

SWOOPA.

I am syndicating her third foal called Muscles Galore, a yearling colt by a top US sire Muscles Mass for $50k plus gst and have 20% left.

Her first foal was Bert Powell who won $29k.( 31 -3-5-4 ) before he broke down..

Harriet of Mot is her second foal.

I do have shares for sale in a yearling colt by Muscles Mass out of Harriets grandmother (Eilish Mac)

She left Earl of Mot who won the Breeders Crown in Melbourne, over 40 wins and $700k.

This family is related to former top trotter "Tussle"

For more information email me at ivan@speckos.co.nz. Thank you

IWMC

I know the family well, but unfortunately the bank is closed for this season as I have interest's in weanlings and broodmares in Aus.

My apologies as I was asking about your thoroughbred mare in the above thread.

Makfi for me looks a solid investment.

Saw him race, he's a lovely individual with a great turn of foot.

Cheers.

I have decided to go to Jakkalberry which no one nominated. I like his race record, compatibility, his gutsy performances, the fact he has won in Europe, UK and USA and placed in the Melbourne Cup under our conditions. Thank you all.