RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Spikecity

whatever happened to or where are these people nowadays?

mike drives the truck for Richard collet in the mornings he rightly or wrongly got soured on the industry  during the  milkshaking era. I keep offering a horse and hope one day he will make a comeback. He was my first trainer and a really great guy and a top trainer- if I need advice which is always Mike can help

he has kept his hand in by siring ANNA and MATT-  Anna had a good career as a junior and Matt is a good amateur driver and of course brother James is a top liner.

Cagy bugger at the start- he was always the last one in and first out.

mike drives the truck for Richard collet in the mornings he rightly or wrongly got soured on the industry  during the  milkshaking era. I keep offering a horse and hope one day he will make a comeback. He was my first trainer and a really great guy and a top trainer- if I need advice which is always Mike can help

he has kept his hand in by siring ANNA and MATT-  Anna had a good career as a junior and Matt is a good amateur driver and of course brother James is a top liner.

Cagy bugger at the start- he was always the last one in and first out.

B Notman, Brian .......?(use to be private trainer for K Burley), Michael Close, Mike Barry, Peter Shand, B Saunders, John Cooney, Mike Stormont, Ian Hilliard?

I think Brian Saunders grazing in retirement in the Tasman area.

Top of the South....if there were more jobs in the area ,everyone would live there.

Pop around to visit Torch and /or Hedley for a cuppa !

Reaching back in to my sketchy memory banks on some of this, but the sequence of Gary Hillier, Brian Pretious and Don Dwyer is pretty right I believe.

Mike Close was a damned good junior reinsmen himself in my opinion, and Robbie looks like he should go on with it pretty well.

The Burley's used to have a grand home and farm on the road to Whitford, which is about to be consumed as East Auckland sprawls up the hill. Time moves on!

Last I knew Ian was working for Geoff Small but this may have changed according to a previous post. His property bordered that of Brian Notman and pretty sure they may have shared the track back in the days of Victoria Star, Grand Return etc A TOP trainer in his own right !

Not sure about Mike Barry but seeing his name bought up memories of that fine grey filly Dawn Mist. I think it was a father and son team of Bob and Mike that trained together out in Ardmore. 

I don't intend to send the post off course, but while on the subject of what's happened to,and private trainers, I wonder what became of Brian O'Meara?

I think he came north as private trainer for (National Bloodstock??) and had some amazing top liners in his training career. To this day he remains in my memory as consistently producing horses in the most amazing condition on race night.

Cheers

Phil

Reaching back in to my sketchy memory banks on some of this, but the sequence of Gary Hillier, Brian Pretious and Don Dwyer is pretty right I believe.

I don't intend to send the post off course, but while on the subject of what's happened to,and private trainers, I wonder what became of Brian O'Meara?

I think he came north as private trainer for (National Bloodstock??) and had some amazing top liners in his training career. To this day he remains in my memory as consistently producing horses in the most amazing condition on race night.

Brian is alive and well and living somewhere in Canterbury (Kirwee last time I saw him, but I think he's moved).  Retired, but still trains the odd horse--Mach Winger, Bettor Man, and one or two others.

His real success, of course, came after he returned from the NI--with the incomparable Christian Cullen (plus other good horses like Cigar, Spirit of Zeus, Not This Time etc).

Have you tried placing the names of the people you are looking for in Google and Google.com.au - advanced search from Australia?

It's one way of reconnecting with those you may have lost touch with or want to track down.

Brian is alive and well and living somewhere in Canterbury (Kirwee last time I saw him, but I think he's moved).  Retired, but still trains the odd horse--Mach Winger, Bettor Man, and one or two others.

His real success, of course, came after he returned from the NI--with the incomparable Christian Cullen (plus other good horses like Cigar, Spirit of Zeus, Not This Time etc).

He also trained some fabulous horses before he went to the North Island.

Naval Officer

Trident

Tuapeka Knight

Captain Cavalla

Sir Ivanhoe

Really Honkin (I wonder how good he could have been)