RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

Kentucky Derby

American Pharoah won the 141st renewal of the Kentucky Derby this morning.Fourth Derby for trainer Bob Baffert and back to back Derbies for jockey Victor Espinoza following Californian Chrome last year.I think American Pharoah can win the Preakness in a fortnight but doubt whether he will get the 2400m trip of the Belmont.Unbridled and Storm Cat in his third line may limit his stamina.

American Pharoah won the 141st renewal of the Kentucky Derby this morning.Fourth Derby for trainer Bob Baffert and back to back Derbies for jockey Victor Espinoza following Californian Chrome last year.I think American Pharoah can win the Preakness in a fortnight but doubt whether he will get the 2400m trip of the Belmont.Unbridled and Storm Cat in his third line may limit his stamina.

Today was about the worst ever coverage we have had of the Derby.

The commentator was pathetic..what happened to Trevor Denman?

Dean Lester waqs shocking!!

why could we not get some pre race talks??the build up used to be great especially when the race was on ESPN

We did not even get the song   "our old Kentucky Home"

poor show trackside   Michael Dore i will be chasing you tomorrow  It is not bloody good enough

I think American Pharaoh's win was terrific. See if you can catch a replay of the race. See how much extra ground that horse covered. He was taken 6 wide into the stretch (home straight) when there were only 2 horses inside him. He was also wide on the first turn, but that can't be blamed on the jockey, who did well from such a wide barrier in the first 400 metres.

Dortmund disappointed. He was given the run of the race, and was lucky to hold 3rd. If his Belmont Stakes odds are less than 100/1 the bookie is a burglar.

why could we not get some pre race talks??the build up used to be great especially when the race was on ESPN

poor show trackside   Michael Dore i will be chasing you tomorrow  It is not bloody good enough

Dean Lester really does have a face for radio.

I stopped betting on the United States races covered by Trackside because I found Lester intolerable. He offers absolutely nothing to viewers. His unquestionable goal is to secure his own employment so he does everything he can to praise his colleagues in the background who are simply magnificent and to suck up to Trackside bosses to the point of being obsequious.

Lester clearly believes punters should not do their own homework on horse racing. They should just put their money on what the tipster picks. As soon as they cross the line he is all over the tipster who managed to tip the winner in his four picks in the six horse field.

His own contribution to assisting punters is limited to naming umteen generations of breeding that has no relevance in the claimer anyways as the bulk of punters have never even heard of those horses.

Eventually I gave up on it as Lester removed any pleasure to be had on said races. 

In addition to that Trackside have a get out of jail card by always blaming every error on their "international broadcast partners"

I did have a crack at the Kentucky Derby today but only because I knew it was on ESPN and I was confident the coverage and presenters would be first class and it was.

Strange comments above.

The coverage I watched went on for ever and a day. Typically American, one might say, in so many ways but they certainly targeted the "right" people, namely trainer, Bob Baffert and family, and jockey, Vincent Epinoza.

I believe I would have seen more of the race, let alone the build-up, than many of the 170,513 people in attendance.

I suggest that the clip of the young Bodie jumping up and down over the last 100 metres will be shown many a time over the next 10 Kentucky Derbys.

jape again...

I find your comments strange.

Coverage was typically American, you say...what a big surprise that is, then, given that it was of America's iconic horse race...

You say that you believe that you would have seen more of the race and the coverage than those on course...ever been to the Melbourne Cup?

The same applies to most who frequent Christchurch during Cup Week.

However, my bet is that there are monitors all over the course showing what is being shown on television.

Try getting that on our tracks...

Cheers.

Ashoka

I've got used to Sat and Sun morning NA racing as I tune in every weekend because of personal NA interests, and I don't mind the over pronounciations :) ... perhaps it's a "getting cosy with him over a long length of time" moment :) .. and I'm often doing paperwork or other stuff at the same time anyway .. I do find the music choice weird though..

Just in case you can't get the missus to sing you to sleep with it Rumpole, here ya go: http://www.kentuckyderby.com/experience/traditions/song-my-old-kentucky-home

Brilliant coverage on NBC.

The race was on channel 61 ESPN. Why Trackside needed its own man for its dismal coverage beyond me.

Best American  call I have heard was last years Preakness Stakes I think by Larry Collmus. The racecaller there streets ahead of any other.

I didn't see the race on Trackside but a better question would be which international races do Trackside do well? Their coverage of races like the Arc/Japan Cup/Royal Ascot/Dubai usually leaves me disappointed as a racing fan. 

Just expanding on what others have already said in this thread....

Yep, the main coverage was shown on Australasian ESPN 2. Coverage started at 4am NZ time, giving six hours of pre-derby action as well as the undercard.

I say Australasian ESPN because the host broadcaster was NBC in the states.  Throughout the week, the ESPN 2 channel was promoting the coverage as being "exclusively on ESPN".  Consequently, I didn't even think of switching over to Trackside.

Because ESPN comes under the SKY TV umbrella of channels, would trackside have even been able to broadcast the race at all if they hadn't left the freeview platform and switched allegiances to SKY ???  Did Trackside promote the coverage on ESPN?  What would they lose by doing so???

Was there a different commentator on the Trackside Coverage? Perhaps they had the on-course commentator and NBC used their own commentator.

Interesting point about the Preakness - being in Baltimore and all.  Perhaps the charges laid will help alleviate the tension.

Comments about Dortmund perhaps a tad harsh. The Preakness is 100m shorter than the derby and A-P only got the better of the other two in the final stages. But clearly, A-P is overall the best horse in this crop.

Frosted is my pick too - not for the Preakness but for the Belmont, the third leg of the triple crown, run in New York over a mile and a half. Frosted is based in NY (I think) and reminds me a little of a previous horse his trainer Kieran McGlaughlan had. Jazil ran on late in Babaro's 2006 derby, skipped the Preakness and then won the Belmont.