RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

ANZAC DAY...over it.

I think we are all aware of the importance of ANZAC Day to the NZ culture,however when has it become a crime not to wear a poppy.

The look of sadness on the face s of the sellers when i refuse to buy one is of great concern.

Lets be clear.The RSA as far as my family are concerned may be the poster boys for Anzac Day but they haven't always covered themselves in glory and the reason i don't go to Dawn Parades and wear the Poppy is because of the way they treated my late father in his last years.

Another thing is i am sick of private school educated 10 year olds been trundled out every night on TV,radio and print telling me about their great great grandfathers and other relatives experiences during the war.

Most of them speak with a plum in their mouths,the little sh..ts,and wouldn't know the first thing about war.

They all look so sombre it's as though McDonalds has closed or even worse their parents SUV has broken down and they have to use the Audi.

Guess i'm just getting old.

Part of me agrees with you Crusty but only part. Most people these days are busy feathering their own nest. The chances of them putting their hand up to go abroad and fight for NZ is virtually nil. In years gone by people did more than just leave their loved ones and life behind. They made the ultimate sacrifice so we and our children etc etc can live with freedom. Their sacrifice needs to be recognized and appreciated.

The whole using Children to sell love or war can be a pain in the arse. What would they know about either when just out of nappies? I find it almost contemptible when they smugly tell me about either.  Having said that it's the Children that will carry Anzac day into the future. I know that many people get great satisfaction from the visits etc of Children to places like Gallipoli. As usual the media get the balance completely wrong as some wet behind the ears suit in a boardroom attempts to educate and sell Gallipoli to NZ.

I must admit my attitude toward war has changed over the years. I'm all in favour of fighting Muslim extremists who will be the enemy of this world for hundreds of years to come but I place very high value on the life of my three sons. Muslim extremists place no value on human life. They enjoy death as much as we embrace life. The thought of my loved one being killed in action in some hell hole in the Middle East seems less than pointless.

We now have hundreds of thousands of "new" New Zealanders that are here because politicians opened the floodgates to them. These people need to understand why NZ is the country that it is. Would any of them lift a finger to preserve what many of our ancestors gave their life for? I believe they they are in great need of being educated.

Then we need to look at what's the point of war anyway. In WWII the Japanese took great pride and satisfaction in brutalizing and murdering our grandfathers and uncles etc. Using live P.O.W's for bayonet practice was a favourite. A few generations later Japan is one of our biggest trading partners. Where does it start and end?

I also have 3 sons and feel the same way you do.

Iam reminded of a speech given bY the matriarch of the Kennedy clan in 1938.

Part of what he said was''Í should like to ask you all if you know of any dispute or controversy existing in the world which is worth the life of your son,or of anyone elses son''

From memory he may have been addressing the senate or congress and was given after Hitler invaded CZECHOSlOVAKIA.

You are also correct about these muslim extremists.

We should fold away the welcome mat for these nuts.

Part of me agrees with you Crusty but only part. Most people these days are busy feathering their own nest. The chances of them putting their hand up to go abroad and fight for NZ is virtually nil. In years gone by people did more than just leave their loved ones and life behind. They made the ultimate sacrifice so we and our children etc etc can live with freedom. Their sacrifice needs to be recognized and appreciated.

The whole using Children to sell love or war can be a pain in the arse. What would they know about either when just out of nappies? I find it almost contemptible when they smugly tell me about either.  Having said that it's the Children that will carry Anzac day into the future. I know that many people get great satisfaction from the visits etc of Children to places like Gallipoli. As usual the media get the balance completely wrong as some wet behind the ears suit in a boardroom attempts to educate and sell Gallipoli to NZ.

I must admit my attitude toward war has changed over the years. I'm all in favour of fighting Muslim extremists who will be the enemy of this world for hundreds of years to come but I place very high value on the life of my three sons. Muslim extremists place no value on human life. They enjoy death as much as we embrace life. The thought of my loved one being killed in action in some hell hole in the Middle East seems less than pointless.

We now have hundreds of thousands of "new" New Zealanders that are here because politicians opened the floodgates to them. These people need to understand why NZ is the country that it is. Would any of them lift a finger to preserve what many of our ancestors gave their life for? I believe they they are in great need of being educated.

Then we need to look at what's the point of war anyway. In WWII the Japanese took great pride and satisfaction in brutalizing and murdering our grandfathers and uncles etc. Using live P.O.W's for bayonet practice was a favourite. A few generations later Japan is one of our biggest trading partners. Where does it start and end?

Duncan, while I embrace our fighting forces to get rid of Muslim extremists,we need to remember that there was no bloody reason for our troops to have gone to fight a flagging Imperialist war for the British,under extreme conditions and totally incompetent /outdated commandership. Lambs to the slaughter poor devils,and not so freedom could reign. The Turks gunned the British ships so that we had no option but to land at Gallipoli history has shown.

I have no problem with commemorating their sacrifice but please can we stop glorifying a complete and needless disaster and tell the real story.

At the risk of being picky, that would be the "Patriarch" Crusty.

At the risk of being picky, that would be the "Patriarch" Crusty.

Of course you are correct.At the time of writing i couldn't for the life of me think any other word to take the place of matriarch my mind hand gone blank as it does so often.

Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Duncan, while I embrace our fighting forces to get rid of Muslim extremists,we need to remember that there was no bloody reason for our troops to have gone to fight a flagging Imperialist war for the British,under extreme conditions and totally incompetent /outdated commandership. Lambs to the slaughter poor devils,and not so freedom could reign. The Turks gunned the British ships so that we had no option but to land at Gallipoli history has shown.

I have no problem with commemorating their sacrifice but please can we stop glorifying a complete and needless disaster and tell the real story.

Stiff upper lip and jolly good show and all that shite.

One thing my dad always mentioned was the officers treatment of the soldier.

All those public school educated toffs were a bunch of tossers.They are so much like many of our politicians.WEKNOW BEST.

The British commanders,and not for the first time used Anzac troops as cannon fodder. "yes they will kill thousands of these men but some must get through"..what a crock !  Same people that felt it was excellent motivation for the troops to have soldiers shot for cowardice if they expressed reservations about "The plan". Arrogant wankers! Families of these murdered men have been fighting ever since to clear the name of their loved one.

That aside nobody is glorifying Gallipoli in my opinion. The soldiers that fought and died there did so on our behalf. It's right to acknowledge them,to respect them,to thank them and to honour them. They are indeed NZ Hero's. Instead we honour the All Black winger instead who scored the match winning try.

Isn't it cringe worthy when you hear a rugby commentator saythat ''it's a tragedy when an All BLACK goes off injured.

What a load of shite.

Or when the same commentator say's that an'' All Black put their body on the line'' or when they say ''they gave their all.

Nobody heard of Gallipoli,Dunkirk etc.

Going out on the rugby field to play for your country is a great honour...but these guys are being paid handsomely and have the chance to bask in glory. They don't have machine guns aimed directly at them with the expressed intention of blowing their head off. What's the worst thing that will happen to them? The team loses? The sun will still rise the following day. They get injured? Their injury will heal and if that fails to occur their insurance against injury etc will ensure they are very well compensated.

I'm not anti sports stars. I applaud them but they and a few rock stars are the hero's our young people look up to. This is as good a time as ever to show them perspective.