RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Craig Symes

How good are the stripes ?

How good are the stripes employed to do the job.

I know that if I was as bad at my job I wouldn't be employed for that long.

I refer this to their ability to both read a race and then act on it within the rule book.

As I've been told before they are there to uphold the  integrity of the sport.

Yesterday at Auckland was a prime example of a complete failing of all the above when reading the stripes report .

Race 2   C0  318m

No.3 Baymax.

Jump to a clear lead and should have run away to win by a large margin,  But it didn't, 

Why , because the ONLY time in the whole race that it was chasing was when the winner of the race went under neat it and gave it something to chase.

Being the favorite for the race you would think that the stripes would be taking a good look at why the dog jumps, leads clearly, doesn't chase the lure, only starts chasing when overtaken by another runner, and at lure doesn't want a bar of anything but finding the handler.

Its not rocket science , just do the job properly that they are paid to do. 

Rant over and pocket a lot lighter.

It will be interesting to see  how they report the concluding stages of Race 9 at Wanganui today....

You can see now if you'd like.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11651/stewards-report.aspx

"Entering the final straight MARAMARUA JACK turned its head towards MORE SALT NEEDED and in doing so failed to pursue the lure. MARAMARUA JACK was stood down for 28 days and until the completion of a satisfactory trial."

One thing I did see that I really liked, was a different name on the bottom of the report. I don't have a comment towards any particular steward as an individual, but I think it's a excellent decision to have them shuffle around a bit between the venues.

I thought maramarua jack was a repeat offender, I thought it was 3 strikes and hes all done..? Obviously not. I haven't really looked into it that was just what I thought when I saw him today.

He should have had a ticket by now that's for sure. If Deb can get this guy chasing properly it would be quite an achievement. Must be rather frustrating owning a dog of his ability who only has interest in fighting others.

" An investigation was opened and adjourned into the racing manners of MARAMARUA JACK rounding the final bend and over the concluding stages. A post race veterinary examination of MARAMARUA JACK revealed no abnormalities."

"MARAMARUA JACK appeared to run greenly down the home straight when racing beside JETSUN STORM these two runners filled the minor placings at the line The Stewards reviewed the head on coverage of the run down the home straight ,the coverage of the head on run down the home straight was not of a good quality to take further . MARAMARUA JACK was referred to the vet for assessment where he was found to have suffered a hip support injury where a 10 day stand down was imposed ."

He should have had a ticket by now that's for sure. If Deb can get this guy chasing properly it would be quite an achievement. Must be rather frustrating owning a dog of his ability who only has interest in fighting others.

" An investigation was opened and adjourned into the racing manners of MARAMARUA JACK rounding the final bend and over the concluding stages. A post race veterinary examination of MARAMARUA JACK revealed no abnormalities."

"MARAMARUA JACK appeared to run greenly down the home straight when racing beside JETSUN STORM these two runners filled the minor placings at the line The Stewards reviewed the head on coverage of the run down the home straight ,the coverage of the head on run down the home straight was not of a good quality to take further . MARAMARUA JACK was referred to the vet for assessment where he was found to have suffered a hip support injury where a 10 day stand down was imposed ."

This might spark a memory for you Reilly.

http://www.jca.org.nz/non-race-day-hearings/appeal-sp-clark-v-riu-decision-dated-16-september-2014

As I can't log in to Race Café could you post this for me please.

Jack had previously been stood down under rule 79.1b. That decision was overturned on appeal when the head on footage of the race was viewed. The head on footage was not available at the time he was ticketed.

Jack had not raced since the 26/10/2014. He has always displayed phenomenal race speed in trials. The owners and I discussed the possibility of him coming to the CD as the noisy lures could focus his attentions during racing. It was decided to give him one shot, and I agreed his speed warranted the effort.

Jack had been here in the CD for 2 months prior to yesterday's start. He had been clocking sub 26.30's at Manawatu, and sub 30's at Wanganui. His potential was great. He was either going to play or win yesterday, he chose to play. He received a 28 day stand down rule under 79.1b, and a 10 day stand down for a gracillus injury. He has now been retired.

Do I regret the decision to take him on, no. He deserved one last shot.

Deb Edlin.

As I can't log in to Race Café could you post this for me please.

Jack had previously been stood down under rule 79.1b. That decision was overturned on appeal when the head on footage of the race was viewed. The head on footage was not available at the time he was ticketed.

Jack had not raced since the 26/10/2014. He has always displayed phenomenal race speed in trials. The owners and I discussed the possibility of him coming to the CD as the noisy lures could focus his attentions during racing. It was decided to give him one shot, and I agreed his speed warranted the effort.

Jack had been here in the CD for 2 months prior to yesterday's start. He had been clocking sub 26.30's at Manawatu, and sub 30's at Wanganui. His potential was great. He was either going to play or win yesterday, he chose to play. He received a 28 day stand down rule under 79.1b, and a 10 day stand down for a gracillus injury. He has now been retired.

Do I regret the decision to take him on, no. He deserved one last shot.

Deb Edlin.

Good on ya Deb, you do a mighty fine job with your team and it's a shame you don't get some of the quality dogs other trainers get. I remember my first time at Wanganui with a few mates and your partner ( not sure if he still is ) was a breath of fresh air and gave us plenty of his time and even let us pat Moody Man in the back of the van. Keep up the great work!

Well it was lucky he didn't do worse than to "have a play" as you put it, racing dogs you know are dodgy puts others hard work at risk when your dog attacks it in or after a race, they deserve a decent shot too without bent interfered with, kudos for retiring the dog FINALLY though.

Yes, sometimes you get drawn into a race with a dodgy dog. So pull yours out? 28 day stand-down maybe, take it if your that concerned.

Deb knew that the dog may be a bit shady on occasions, so she, as a trainer, took the dog under her wing to see if her training style rectified any issues.

Unfortunately on this occasion it did not.

There was only one way to find out.

She could have trialled with another dog, wouldn't have done a thing, as he is a sub 30 dog at Wanganui over the 520m.

Not many people are lucky enough to have them.

It is a lot different in a field where he has more dogs in front of him, meaning he is more likely to get distracted.

Whoknows, you must be luck to never have been associated with a dog that is questionable.

Finally retiring, jeepers, id love deb or the syndicate to ask me if id like a go, because imagine if someone got his mind on the job, what a great greyhound he will be. Why give up on a dog with this ability.

Well done Deb, you gave it your best shot, and have made a decision im sure Lynx will enjoy, a nice roomy couch.

Well it was lucky he didn't do worse than to "have a play" as you put it, racing dogs you know are dodgy puts others hard work at risk when your dog attacks it in or after a race, they deserve a decent shot too without bent interfered with, kudos for retiring the dog FINALLY though.

I guess I'm playing monkey in the middle here.

Debs words~ 

Reply to Who Knows. Jack was put out for failing to pursue, he did not attack the other dog. There was no head contact, and a charge of marring was not tabled by the stipendiary steward in charge. He pushed toward the rail and eased, he then finished the race running alongside the other dog without making contact. Dogs who do marr significantly past the post run weekly without stand down. There is a difference in intent and the charge. Dogs often deliberately take out others during racing to stop the rival getting ahead of them, it's called shouldering. They can be seen going off line to do so. During that act they are technically failing to pursue. Failing to pursue and marring are two different actions.

Johhnybooy or should we say Hayden....Do you enjoy making stories up ? where did you hear the trainer talked the stipes out of charging the dog ? The trainer appealed the charge so the dog was  charged and the trainer won  at a jca hearing , and yankiwi you are as bad as the same stipe that charged the dog at Auckland was the same stipe that  charged him at Wanganui ........but it's always  the same thing with you two....don't let a good story get in front of the truth.....Don't know about yankiwi but for you johnnybooy there is a pill called prosac  you should get some .

Woah. Where did Johnnyboy make up a story steve ? You appealed the charge, you got the dog off. Good on ya if racing a fighter tickles ya fancy. If you had the dog yesterday it would of been off to!!! Be correct before you point fingers because you are wrong!!

and yankiwi you are as bad as the same stipe that charged the dog at Auckland was the same stipe that  charged him at Wanganui ........but it's always  the same thing with you two....don't let a good story get in front of the truth.....

Don't know about yankiwi but for you johnnybooy there is a pill called prosac  you should get some .

I'm not exactly sure what you're on about Hound Fan, nor do I understand why you've chose to attack my character.

I haven't made any reference to who put out any dog.

Is it of your opinion that the same steward should oversee the same meetings at the same venue week in & week out?

I believe Prozac is a prescription drug, is it not? If so, then prior to obtaining some, I would highly recommend Johnnybooy seeks medical advice from a medical professional and not act on the suggestion of a RaceCafe member.