RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Hound Fan

wow has our board lost the plot or what ???

14 noms for a group one distance ( yes 14 noms ) and what does our racing committee say no heats it is a straight final ...gezz  we have last years top stayer as reserve ( little teegan )  we have 6 dogs that won't get a chance to prepare for the silver collar , but hey guess what ? we have ten sprint races on the card with a lot of the racing committee's  dogs in these races . I think if we had asked  the racing board what they think they would say run the two group one heats ( did anyone in greyhound racing committee ask this??? ) it's okay I have the answer from one of them ( racing board ) and no they were not asked . my big question who on the board made this decision ?????I believe our lp rep had a major part in this decision is that as lp's what  we really want ?? and should our lp rep be on any committee or should he be independent and working for us as we voted him in , Shame on you Grahame if it was you that made this call , you work for us not the board .

From what I hear, we have criteria GRNZ have to meet to get their % of total turn over but should this effect group 1 races?  Lucky there is no sponsor for this race at it would be a disgrace!!  But what about owners/punters and trainers??  it has been proven that distance far exceeds any other race in turn over.  There are very few races that a distance dog can prepare for in a season and this reduces their opportunities even further.  These heats are a build up to Silver Collar.  Up and coming dogs ... trainers need to know if they are worthy but some will never know after this extremely poor decision.  How can Clubs control their destinies when decisions are taken away from them.  So as a result of this pathetic decision, Wanganui have 10 sprints and 2 middle distance.... Yeh.  How exciting.  The owners of their distance dogs will have to wait until June ... for goodness sake.  How is this looking after our industry. 

Standing back and watching how our industry is progressing, I would have to say (although it sounds like a conspiracy) that someone at the top (ie GRNZ) is working for the animal activists.  What a clever way to infiltrate our industry and destroy it from within.  As this is how it appears.  In my opinion of course.

This has been asked many times, but never united.  Time for our board to stand down and start again.  We will never go forward when no one in control is even qualified to run an industry of this magnitude.  Pay Peanuts get Monkey's. 

Whether you realise it or not, too many of us are effected by those in control who are not qualified to make these decisions.  Again, this is my opinion but I will stand by it.

Kathy

Good decision I say, you have a dog in the emergency list called  Cawbourne Miami who has only ever won  once over 645m, and not beyond that distance, so the rest of the nominations could not have been that  hot to see out  the Extreme distance at Wanganui

The Distance dogs are weak in NZ at the moment and I am struggling to see a field of distance dogs that could run  beyond 700 without looking as though they have broken down in a heap

Winning over 645 is a cop out, and these dogs have virtually no chance to win a 700 metre race

And 14 nominations does not cut the mustard for 2 heats, because I can see there being scratchings and no emergencies available

I had always thought a key part of winning a G1 extreme distance race was much more than having the endurance to run a 700+ metre race, it was the ability to back it up one week later and do it all over again. Shamefully, not in Wanganui this year.

Last year saw two heats with 10 dogs listed for each race.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11201/88256/result-detail.aspx

However, it could be suggested that two 779m trials over two weeks in Manukau could be time better spent if silver is the ultimate goal. It seemed to work charms for Brando last year.

Houndfan, I could add to your statement about Little Teegan, that she was the winner of this G1 last year. 

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11210/88583/result-detail.aspx

This year, the returning champ could very well be parked in a van next to the track listening to the race, because the humans didn't let her have a chance. That'll be a sad day for our sport!

A very clear fact about Little Teegan.

The punters love & rate her.

Simply have a look over her last five 700m+ starts.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/greyhounds/profiles.aspx?AnimalID=23803

T McDonald Cup, over 747m Cambridge. $2.80 second favourite.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11663/94152/result-detail.aspx

Stayers Cup, over 779m Manukau. $1.80 favourite.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11589/93798/result-detail.aspx

NZRSdf, over 755m Wanganui. $2.00 favourite.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11560/93198/result-detail.aspx

Kingston Cup Final, 732m Addington. $1.90 favorite.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11390/90711/result-detail.aspx

Kingston Cup Heat, 732m Addington. $1.80 favorite.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11381/91870/result-detail.aspx

One further thought, could those in charge of setting up the group & features be creating segregation between the islands?

Today the Bruce Stirling Memorial Stayers Run Final over 630m in Invercargill.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11650/94400/field-detail.aspx

Then three days later the qualifying heats for the G1 Wanganui Distance are to be run.

It's not like there is an abundance of distance dogs in our country. It'd be an incredibly big ask for a dog to run in both.

Don't they know that it's the dogs that run the "distance", not the number of km's that can be traveled between venues.  :rolleyes:

What were they thinking? 

It happens all the time with feature races, time after time you have to choose what one to go in rather than be given the opportunity to go in both, hopefully the dates committee has used their brains this time around and dont cram everything together, I won't hold my breath though.

DC9...

The KPI's are a target but are not compulsory. The compulsion comes from the NZGRA Board.

Take a look at the numbers in races run by the equine codes.

These codes also have similar KPI's but run their industries to suit not just their cloth, but also their interests.

The Board of the NZGRA grovels to the NZRB because they need the corrupt protection that they receive from this organisation.

The corruption practised by the NZGRA Board would fill volumes of encyclopedias.

Watching former NZGRA Board Chairman Trevor Deed grovelling to representatives of the NZRB was positively vomit-inducing but it saved him after the so-termed Dutch Book affair, though the cost to the greyhound industry was monumental.

All the best.

Ashoka

This decision would normally be a major surprise.......but no its not and you may ask why??? and the answer is the decision was made by one or possibly more people that know nothing about greyhound racing or just dont have the ability to be able to make sensible decisions.I was told, at some stage today they decided to re open noms for the heats on Fri! A whole day after they closed! what a joke!

From what I hear, we have criteria GRNZ have to meet to get their % of total turn over but should this effect group 1 races?  Lucky there is no sponsor for this race at it would be a disgrace!!  But what about owners/punters and trainers??  it has been proven that distance far exceeds any other race in turn over.  There are very few races that a distance dog can prepare for in a season and this reduces their opportunities even further.  These heats are a build up to Silver Collar.  Up and coming dogs ... trainers need to know if they are worthy but some will never know after this extremely poor decision.  How can Clubs control their destinies when decisions are taken away from them.  So as a result of this pathetic decision, Wanganui have 10 sprints and 2 middle distance.... Yeh.  How exciting.  The owners of their distance dogs will have to wait until June ... for goodness sake.  How is this looking after our industry. 

Standing back and watching how our industry is progressing, I would have to say (although it sounds like a conspiracy) that someone at the top (ie GRNZ) is working for the animal activists.  What a clever way to infiltrate our industry and destroy it from within.  As this is how it appears.  In my opinion of course.

This has been asked many times, but never united.  Time for our board to stand down and start again.  We will never go forward when no one in control is even qualified to run an industry of this magnitude.  Pay Peanuts get Monkey's. 

Whether you realise it or not, too many of us are effected by those in control who are not qualified to make these decisions.  Again, this is my opinion but I will stand by it.

Kathy

have to agrre but most greyhound people voted in there lp's dont they reflect what the board are doing or are they just a waste ov time

Have to say I cant believe people are not "up in arms" about this appauling decision to can the heats for a group 1 with 14 starters!!!....I think license holders deserve an answer as to who made this decision and what are the reasons! Total incompetance and someone needs to be held accountable

Have to say I cant believe people are not "up in arms" about this appauling decision to can the heats for a group 1 with 14 starters!!!....I think license holders deserve an answer as to who made this decision and what are the reasons! Total incompetance and someone needs to be held accountable

Rendle didn't sound too bothered on the radio yesterday, but he doesn't own any stayers does he?

It appears this decision had been made quite some time ago, according to the rule book.

46.8   A Club shall select Heats for Group Races and Feature Races of not less than 8 starters, unless otherwise approved by the Association.

Therefore it would make it very difficult to hold one person accountable I'd say.

Yankiwi...

Thank you for your last post.

Given the Rule, the following questions need to be answered, in my opinion. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted anything.

• Did the Wanganui GRC apply to the NZGRA for approval to run two heats of seven runners each? if so, who was the request sent to?
  • If approval for the two heats was sought, what was the reply and who sent it?

The answers to these questions would establish a basis from which further information and action could be pursued.

All the best.

Ashoka

Yankiwi...

Thank you for your last post.

Given the Rule, the following questions need to be answered, in my opinion. Please correct me if I have misinterpreted anything.

• Did the Wanganui GRC apply to the NZGRA for approval to run two heats of seven runners each? if so, who was the request sent to?
  • If approval for the two heats was sought, what was the reply and who sent it?

The answers to these questions would establish a basis from which further information and action could be pursued.

All the best.

Ashoka

I do not believe that the club is required to apply for approval if they chose not to run seven dog heats. Therefore, if the club decided to skip the heats and run a final only, what action could be pursued? Although It's not the choice I would make, at the end of the day it's their choice isn't it?

For a period prior to this past Wednesdays 645m race (and when the noms for Friday had already closed) the distance race fields with so many vacant boxes, were quite abysmal, in my opinion. Why would anyone believe it might be any better this time?

Yankiwi...

That is the reason for the first question.

If the Wanganui Club chose to run a final only without applying to run two seven dog heats, then the next step would be to inquire of the Club as to what factors did they take into account when arriving at the decision to act as they did.

The Club people who make the decisions do so on behalf of the Club members and all members of the said Club have the right to ask questions of those who act on their behalf.

All the best.

Ashoka

Perhaps those abysmally small feilds you speak of have had more far reaching consequences than some might have thought, I said at the time that the trainer in question was putting the future of distance racing in jeopardy. 1. The clubs would be nervous about getting scrathings after whats happened in the past and 2. The grnz would have more wiggle room on their KPI if it weren't for greedy, dodgy trainers being responsible for 3/4/5 dog feilds!

The press release on dogzone tonight seems crap IMO.

"The GRNZ board decided not to make an exception for the number of starters as it considered it could not be justified in the light of the effect on the KPI runner numbers vs the short term benefits to owners. This is always a difficult decision but we need to meet our commitments wherever possible. Clubs are well aware of this policy and should be encouraging participants to achieve targets set"

A) short term benefit to owners? How is allowing owners to gain stake money in heats short term as the money lost here doesn't help owners and trainers LONG term!!!

B) how is giving trainers the opportunity to get dogs fit and ready for the up coming silver collar short term !!!!!!

C)clubs are well aware of policy so should encourage participants!!!! So what should happen club do a ring around to get numbers up??

Wrong decision was made for sure no wonder IMO the NZGR is a joke!!!!!

Obviously the Racing Board/TAB has set a requirement for Greyhounds to endevour to achieve !00% KPI by having 8 starters in every race we run. Recently we have had meetings with only 11 races. Can anyone advise what the situation is with the other two codes. What number of races are they required to have each meeting and how many starters/race to achieve their KPI's. We regularly see 8 race, even less, meetings, often with 4 or 6 horse fields.

As I have mentioned previously the playing field is not level.

The Press release quoted above does not ring true.

The encouragement to participants was lost a few years ago when the Assn brought in the system of stakes' payments without giving due consideration to the number of times a sprinter, a middle distance greyhound and a stayer could race in any particular period of time.