RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
lid pinger

camb race 11

How could the starter not see box 1 was not fully closed clearly dogs can here the lure better and it pinged same argument of rotovegas sparky few months back it pinged as well seems easy enough to get away with might start doing it myself im sure carolyn new exactly what she was up to

The rule book seems to be quite clear about this.

72.3 When the Greyhounds arrive at the starting boxes for a Race they shall be deemed to be in the Starter’s hands.

72.9 The Starter shall be responsible for ensuring that:

b. The doors of the starting boxes are securely fastened after all the Greyhounds have been placed therein and no Greyhound is visibly held or caught by doors;

I still believe it is a huge advantage to the dog if the rear door is left partially open.

FFS you guys make it up as you go along and I shouldn't even dignify this with a reply but stuff you !. Just watched the replay to see what you were on about, I didn't even know it was slightly ajar until I read this and watched it. So as for doing deliberately you're way off the mark, some of you have very little minds. I remember pushing it down as far as it would go so maybe it stuck or something I don't know but to my knowledge it was down. I'll be more vigilant from now on though. It's very easy to pick it up on the replay after all the doors are shut but as he was in the front line and first boxed I had no shut door beside him to notice the difference. Oh and the dog is 38 kilos I'm sure he was going to escape under that little gap which looks to be about 50mm. 

Signed: A not too happy Carolyn !

These guys make up stories where there is none, obviously do not know much about greyhounds, they come up with some awful theories.

If the dog hadnt won, than they would not have cared, they dont mention this when the dog gets beaten. Bloody punters for you

To be frankly honest I've never even thought about it before now. That's merely your opinion and one I can't answer, it's arguable and who really knows whether it does. You seemed to think I did it deliberately, that too was your opinion and it was wrong so your not always right are you !.    

Never ceases to amaze me the contempt that some trainers / owners have for punters. Whether you like it or not, the viability of the sport relies on punting dollars.

When someone puts their money up to have a bet and sees something happen outside the rules, they should be entitled to have a voice on the matter - just like trainers express their opinions on things they see happen that they don't agree with.

I wouldnt have gone as far as to say that a trainer would do it on purpose. I also though am not prepared to say it doesn't give an advantage. As Yankiwi has shown, it is a rule that the doors shall be securely fastened.

It's pretty fundamental that the lids are doors are properly shut - if you make sure this happens then you won't open yourselves up to criticism.

Rules are there to protect the integrity of the sport, and that's all that punters have to rely on as they don't have control over anything else. If the standards start to slip, you can expect punters to slip away too.

The last time it occurred the stipes reminded the starter if his obligations.

Yet didn't reprimand him on this occasion.

Didn't see the race so can't comment on it.

Just speaking from previous case

This is probably a bit delayed but I have to laugh even more at the ridiculousness of the original assertion now. At his next two starts I made extra sure that the door was shut properly and Don't Talk has begun better off boxes 4 and 8 than he did the off the 1 the night that he was supposed to have had the so called benefit of the door being ajar.

So there's another theory that can be tossed out the window. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, he injured a hock in his second placing at Cambridge on Thursday so he won't be around to annoy anyone for a while.   

The Cambridge incident was nothing, in my opinion, when compared to the start of race #1 at Pamly last Wednesday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6LULuFt19M

How could this not even be mentioned in the stewards report?

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11660/stewards-report.aspx

Didn't either of the stewards see it?

Didn't the starter see it?

The camera sure saw it!

A disgrace that is wasn't even mentioned in the stipe report, should of at least got a warning, although the starter is as much to blame as once the dogs are in he should not let anyone back near the boxes, let alone holding the lid down...unbelievable!

I was standing at the boxes when this happened and the handler was holding the door just off the dogs tail to avoid the dog getting it's tail stuck or hurt. She had sat down in the boxes and her tail was right out of the door. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with what she did and the only advantage to the dog was not hurting her tail on the way out. When the dog was boxed only the tip of the tail was out but as the lure started and handler was walking away she sat. So what is the better option... Hold door or hold up race to reopen door and stand dog up?

iteruka...

Good on you for explaining what actually happened.

However, this incident should have been reported in the stipendiary steward report.

This would be necessary to preserve the integrity of the sport and industry...if there was any.

As it is, the negative is plainly visible to anyone who watches the replay.

The positive, the need for what happened and the logic behind it, is lost.

All the best.

Ashoka

I was standing at the boxes when this happened and the handler was holding the door just off the dogs tail to avoid the dog getting it's tail stuck or hurt. She had sat down in the boxes and her tail was right out of the door. In my opinion there was nothing wrong with what she did and the only advantage to the dog was not hurting her tail on the way out. When the dog was boxed only the tip of the tail was out but as the lure started and handler was walking away she sat. So what is the better option... Hold door or hold up race to reopen door and stand dog up?

There was no doubt in my mind why the handler walked back up to the boxes and held it open a bit. She had the best interest of the dog in mind.

The problem the way I see it is the way the incident was policed.

72.3 When the Greyhounds arrive at the starting boxes for a Race they shall be deemed to be in the Starter’s hands.

72.9 The Starter shall be responsible for ensuring that:

b. The doors of the starting boxes are securely fastened after all the Greyhounds have been placed therein and no Greyhound is visibly held or caught by doors;

c. Neither he/she nor any other person attracts the attention of any Greyhounds once they have been placed in the starting boxes;

72.12 Once a Greyhound has been placed in a starting box, its position in the box shall not be allowed to be corrected by any Person.

Why are the above rules in the rule book?

Why was the all clear sent to the lure driver?

Why wasn't the handler reprimanded?

Why wasn't the starter reprimanded?

Why wasn't the dog declared a late scratching/non starter or the entire race abandoned?

These are not picnic meeting being held for bragging rights. The people who fund greyhound racing (punters) have only the RIU to ensure integrity is being upheld and that their wagers had every fair chance at being successful. Was integrity upheld in this race?

In a horse race if the jockey is thrown off his horse during a race, tough break for the punter. But what if the jockey purposely jumped off for no apparent reason?

In a harness race if the driver drops the whip, tough break for the punter. But what if the driver purposely throws the whip away?

Instances like this, in my opinion, lend me to believe that integrity is a seriously lacking, in some instances, in our industry.

As a disclaimer, I did have a successful FF place punt on the race on the #3 dog. My opinion is not from my wallet because if it were declared a non starter as I suggest it should have, my return would have been less than what it was.

No what you do is what nearly every handler in the country does, ensure your dog is in the boxes and the lid shut right down before walking away, once you walk away then that's it, no going back to bang on the lids, no opening the boxes again, end of story!

Yankiwi...

There are three reasons why greyhound racing is inappropriately policed.

The first is that too many of the officials doing the policing are incompetent. They don't understand that which they are watching and policing.

The second is that it would appear that those doing the policing are under instructions to preserve the façade of greyhound racing to, and past the point of, honesty and integrity.

The third is, in my opinion, the willingness of those entrusted with the policing to act dishonestly and without integrity in order to preserve their employment within the racing industry.

I have, repeatedly, pointed out in threads covering all three Codes and the NZRB, that there is no integrity inherent in the manner in which the racing industry in New Zealand is run. You will note that I have not been called to account for the content of any of my postings.

I must be correct...mustn't I?

All the best.

Ashoka

A dog can be late scratched, which has happened on more than one occasion at Ascot, because the dog got its foot caught in the front lid.

In Palmerston North on Wednesday, a dog got its tail caught in the rear door, had human intervention during the approach of the lure until a time after the front lids had begun opening & that's not even noteworthy???? 

Any sound logic would dictate that this instance has far superior grounds for a dog to be declared a late scratching/non starter then any of the instances where a dog decided to put his foot in the front grill at the wrong time down south. No one was squirting water on the front foot of any of the Ascot dogs before the lids opened, trying to protect the dog from what a handler thought might be dangerous for the dog. If someone had, would it then have been determined as a fair start and all placings stood?

It's good to see that one of the stewards has addressed the rear door issue today.

"Judicial report: Handlers were reminded today that the doors after loading the dogs away must be shut fully after 2 minor incidents today."

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/catch-the-action/11689/stewards-report.aspx

Yes, it may be inconvenient for the handlers from time to time, but it is a rule and should be adhered to.

From what I understand the incident in the last race was from a serial offender who has had several warnings in the way she boxes and handles dogs, not from anything intentional but just incompetence which is a real shame as it's not really her fault.

I wonder what is the practical thing to do when a dogs tail is sticking out? Rules say you are not allowed to open the box and touch the dog again and when someone tried to get it in with their foot they made headlines on here.

Should the handler just leave it with the door resting on it as I have done several times or should effort be made by the starter to get the door closed and if so how?. Remembering that delay may  compromise the good starters. In other countries I think they just leave it be as over 90% of the time the dog moves when the lure starts and the door closes on it's own

At the end of the day it is still the starters call and in several recent incidents he has been unable to take control.

As for the participant yesterday she has had more experience than most, works tirelessly helping others every raceday and made every attempt  to get the door closed. I am not sure what else she could have done. She is very good with dogs and a very competent handler. Who knows, who knows you may be just a s good one day.