RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
beerwithduncan

NZ to lose Cricket World Cup semi final

If ever I want to be wrong, it's with this match. NZ have looked hugely impressive during the tournament.  They did make a meal of the chases against Scotland and Australia but got home. I felt the worst performance of this world cup by NZ was against Bangladesh. To my eye the man most responsible was replacement bowler Mitchell McCenaghan. I read a piece before that match where it said " Mitchell McCenaghan to be unleashed against Bangladesh"  He for whatever reason was just not up to the job to the point he was embarrassing. The Bangladesh batsmen looked very vulnerable until they got hold of lame bowling from McCenaghan. He sent down so many gift week balls that the batsmen visibly grew in confidence. If he wasn't throwing down lame balls he was falling over after delivering them. It was embarrassing. This one player did all he could to lose the match for the Kiwi's. When the match finished I just crossed my fingers and hoped he'd have no further part in this world cup. 

Then today we learn that Kiwi strike bowler Adam Milne is out of the semi final tomorrow against South Africa through injury. In my opinion tomorrows semi final is the most important match in NZ Cricket history to this point.

We now have our worst bowler coming into the match. It's a nightmare. If McCenaghan repeats anything like his pathetic bowling against Bangladesh then NZ are toast. Amla and DeVilliers etc will treat him like a Sunday social bowler. If that happens NZ will never get them out and they could post a score close to 400. NZ are then toast.

I hope the other NZ bowlers have made a mess of South Africa before the ball is given to McCenaghan. 

I sincerely hope I'm wrong and he plays the game of his life.

My fear about the quick back up has also come to fruition. South Africa played their quarter final on Wednesday so have had a week to get over the match ready for a huge Semi Final. NZ on the other hand have had a pathetic two days to get over their quarter final. How is that fair or reasonable?

Matches like intense quarter finals will put a lot of pressure on the players body. At that level they need time to recover. This absurd timing has now likely cost NZ the best chance they have ever had to win the Cricket World cup. 

Lets hope I'm completely wrong and NZ carry on their terrific form and waltz into the final. 

So the guy has a "bad game".....it does happen mate. I am not his biggest fan but he is a wicket taker....end of story. That's why he "nudged" out an in form Matt Henry for this tourney.

Just wind back several  weeks and remember how we were all thinking....who could we replace an out of form Guptill with.....doh!

Positive thoughts :D :D :D

Go the Black Caps.....and India just quietly...IMO B)

I never questioned Guptill Ziggy. Without being wise after the event I felt he was the right choice. Was a bit unsure about Taylor who has not been the same player in recent months. He did look better against the West Indies before the silly run out so hopefully he's coming good at exactly the right moment.

I don't want to be critical of McCenaghan based on one performance but it was a shocker and against a team NZ should have put away much easier than they did. You don't get many second chances at the world cup and I'd imagine the Saffa's will target McCenaghan in a big way. He's our weak link and we really can't afford one of those at this level. It wasn't just him offering gift week to the batsmen that worried me. He seemed completely out of sorts and didn't even have all important balance. At his age after playing for so many season's he shouldn't be falling over on the pitch so many times after delivering the ball. Something not right there.

Loads of positive thoughts for tomorrow with all the fingers and toes crossed. So much at stake to have McCenaghan repeat his last performance against a team that will jump all over him.

The Australia / India match will be a ripper. Hoping India roll the Australians.......of course ;)

No ouch here. Just pride in this NZ Cricket team. Without doubt that was the best and most exciting game of cricket I've ever seen. Best sporting moment for NZ I've ever witnessed. Sport at it's very best.

My concern was about one player replacement bowler Mitchell McCenaghan. He played a shocker against Bangladesh so when Milne was injured there was a lot of fear that McCenaghan would lose the game for us. The fact they left him out of the team highlighted the lack of confidence the management had in him.

Gotta feel a bit sorry for South Africa. The weather did them no favours but nothing can detract from the NZ win. 

Win or lose in the final they have done us proud and given us the best entertainment money could buy and a summer of cricket we will never forget.

No ouch here. Just pride in this NZ Cricket team. Without doubt that was the best and most exciting game of cricket I've ever seen. Best sporting moment for NZ I've ever witnessed. Sport at it's very best.

Gotta feel a bit sorry for South Africa. The weather did them no favours but nothing can detract from the NZ win. 

Win or lose in the final they have done us proud and given us the best entertainment money could buy and a summer of cricket we will never forget.

Pharkin awesome mate....totally agree (less 1 bit). I was thinking yesterday that it would be nice if the Indians upset Oz and join us on Sunday. But....yeah na ....Australia will do just fine thanks....victory will be even sweeter B)  

I think too much has been placed on the "rain factor" in yesterdays game. If it going to rain why bat first??!! Do your homework SA.

Secondly the way their bowlers were going it would have been great to face the full compliment of overs from Dumminy, Philander, and a couple more from AB. SA just weren't good enough. We let them off the hook with our catching (Ronchi!!! and Williamson), AB even had a few lives, we finished their innings with a soaked ball, they didn't exactly "earn" any of our wickets (ie: bowled, LBW, or out smarted type dismissals), Taylor was central in two diabolical dismissals ("that" run out and his leg side soft demise), and the SA fielding was woeful when the pressure went on.

There is one small thing that is saving us in these tight games and that is our ground fielding. We must have cut off 15 runs vs Austrlia that proved crucial and last night we did it again. So very , very important on a small ground like Eden Park.

An outstanding game and the best team won. Bring on Sunday.

I hear what you're saying Torch especially about Taylor. Can you imagine the headlines today if NZ had been beaten? Taylor would be done for treason ;)  He must have been the most relieved man in NZ. His running makes me very nervous. He's on edge and the whole ,yes,no,maybe,yes thing is just an accident waiting to happen.

The better team won for certain but the Saffa's were on the bad end of the rain. When the rains came NZ were on the ropes. The two South African batsmen were well and truly set and a launching pad was in place for 350-400. They never had the chance to benefit from that. It was fate but they were the clear losers from the rains. In my opinion.

Pharkin awesome mate....totally agree (less 1 bit). I was thinking yesterday that it would be nice if the Indians upset Oz and join us on Sunday. But....yeah na ....Australia will do just fine thanks....victory will be even sweeter B)  

Best entertainment we will ever see on TV Ziggy. Just magical.

Would love to beat Australia in the final and dine out on that forever but would hate more returning to NZ with tail between legs at the hands of those farking Australian's...again.

Pitch will be different for the Kiwi's at the MCG. Australia will be right at home on it.

Elliot spoke of the huge lift he got from the home crowd. Australia will have that in the final should they make it.

The Australian bowlers will have the number of most of the kiwi batsmen now.

The Australian batsmen very rarely fail twice in a row against NZ.

India are very tough opposition in great form but I'd prefer India in the final than Australia without a doubt. All the neutrals will be pulling for NZ to the point it may almost seem like a home crowd.

India V NZ......please

If fate deals a different hand then so be it. The way this Kiwi team plays they can beat anyone,anywhere. 

Great theatre last night and in the 1/4 final in Wgton. U couldn't ask for more really.

The rain probably helped us but Torch makes some good points. 

Not the first time that the Yappies have had fortune go against them in Cricket World Cup. It's becoming a bit of a theme.

We certainly want India to win the Semi against Aus. The Aussie crowd will fall in behind us, cause they don't like Kohli after the recent Test series. 

NZ v India in the Final - there may even be a case for moving it back to The CakeTin in Wellington.

I think too much has been placed on the "rain factor" in yesterdays game. If it going to rain why bat first??!! Do your homework SA.

Another great coin toss to lose. I would have bowled first as it was always on the cards to rain.

The country is going wild after the awesome semi final yesterday. And so we should.

I am praying we go on and grab the big prize on Sunday, but what everyone is forgetting is this is a side we can celebrate with for a few years down the track.

This is a seriously good team.

It has youth and experience (most of which are world class), outstanding leadership, and absolutely no fear. Throughout the whole tournament they have been compared to the team of '92. There is no comparison - instead the matter is filled with contrasts. The 1992 Young Guns never had five strike bowlers who were brisk. They never had a spin bowler who toyed with batsmen solely through flight. And as admirable as some of the batting was in 1992 they never chased down runs against "top" opposition twice in the tournament. About the only thing remotely similar is the fielding. Crowe and Lees aimed to be the best fielding team in the world , something Hesson's squad has also achieved. Different teams - same excitement issued.

Later this year we have a tour to England. Once upon a time we would look at a long tour there with nerves and apprehension. However there will be an expectation by some to go through that tour unbeaten. England are in their worst rut for 25 years. On current form the one dayers will be a clean sweep but the test series is the most exciting prospect. This NZ team could murder the Poms in the longest format. Southee, Boult, and Co. in early summer English conditions is mouth watering. McCullum will love nothing more than to dominate their bowlers who will be side-tracked by having one eye on the Ashes series. Guptill has form in England, Latham can build on his promise to date, and Williamson will be pumped for massive scores on crickets home soil. The cricket geek in him will want nothing more.

There will of course be some changes after the World Cup. Nothing lasts forever. Vettori will retire. Ronchi may find he is baggage man at best. However we have a huge nucleus of a damn strong squad that is set to continue for the next 5 or 6 years. And all the while Mike Hesson will calmly plan and direct this team with tactical genius. This is the same guy who in 2012 was nearly burnt on a cross for the captaincy debacle between Taylor and McCullum. Funny how people's perceptions change.