RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Humbersnipe62

Horses from the 60/70s

Remember a few South Island nags from the 70's. Not because they were that good but more because as a young fella I'd have them in a 50 cent double.   Mr Richmond,First Tuesday,Sir Troubador,Armbrose Lodge. Then later horses like Candy Boy who won the winter Cup at big odds.  Nuriootpa,Flying View.

Lord Novello was a decent sprinter up north. I loved the horse. My dad hated it. Said it had a heart the size of a pea. Would always lead. Be five lengths in front,see the winning post and shit it's self.

Vicky Jane was a very handy Taranaki horse who would always get me a double or concession. 

A couple of Noel Eales horses,Varnamo and Lone Hand.

No world beaters but very solid reliable horses. From memory I think it was Varnamo who ran second to Show Gate in the Wellington stakes where her racing career came to an end.  

Oh the memories....time to go create some new one's ;)

Although he was trained in Otaki, Cantostan was a cracker and won the big sprint at Ricarton with MRC on in about 70/71.........I was on 7 bucks a week less tax, and had 5 bucks on him.......I won enough to buy a suit off George Lawson who was working in a menswear store in Hawera.......what happened to George anyone know, Torch perhaps ? your old man and him were mates.

Thanks for the memories Peter! I used to ride Dyak in some of his work.His dam Swanee was an Auckland Cup winner.He was by Head Hunter the sire of many top stayers and jumpers who loved wet tracks.

I rode Dyak around the farm paddocks at Clem Fabish's place on Dudley Road when he was young. He used to shy at every bird that flew out of the hedges. He showed nothing early and Clem actually said I could have him but changed his mind when Rory McGovern showed an interest in him.Frank Walsh delivered him to Matamata and I can recall a Great Dane coming out to greet us.I used to ride Awaroa out of Missippi out of Swanee.

I rode Dyak around the farm paddocks at Clem Fabish's place on Dudley Road when he was young. He used to shy at every bird that flew out of the hedges. He showed nothing early and Clem actually said I could have him but changed his mind when Rory McGovern showed an interest in him.Frank Walsh delivered him to Matamata and I can recall a Great Dane coming out to greet us.I used to ride Awaroa out of Missippi out of Swanee.

I remember Rak winning a race on Dyak also Rak and Rory taking a horse to Aussie and pulling off a huge plunge in Victoria.

Frank Walsh had some good ones - Marinoto and Koparoa come to mind.

I used to follow a horse by the name of ARRALUCA by ARROGAN out of ARANUI SUN.

Used to run on no matter how far the race but never run on fast enough although i think he won about 4 races.

He also had a full sister that i followed [unwisely] called TU TU NUI.[translated i think it means slow]

Both were trainered by Des Riordan and owned by the Keleelys out near Te Kowhai.

Noble Times was by a horse Ron Chitty imported, Drums of Time, by Olden Times. He stood at Bert & Dorothy Swneys place at Matamata initially. He seemed to put everything he had into Noble Times and was a disappointment really. Bit like Straussbrook and Batavian..

He was a gorgeous looking black horse, Lloyd. he came thru a mixed sale at Karaka when getting older and I nearly bought him for next to nothing. Common sense prevailed but it was tempting ! I later bought a daughter of his - Hot Beat - for $700 for a client who ended up breeding him 5 winners of 26 races including the stakes performers Anemos (beaten a nose in a Bayer Classic), Moore's Hall and The Drummer. The guy never thanked me once !

Peter,

Its been quite interesting seeing how some of the bit players around the time of Fort hagen and later have progressed. Your own progression as well.. I did a spot of owner training there about that time interspersed with work at the freezing works which was a real hot bed for owner trainers such as Rex Allen.

John Wheeler was just starting out, Ian adams you no doubt rememember as chief stable honcho at Malcolm Smiths, Gary Vile was battling doing blacksmithing. Warren Bolton was dabbling with the odd horse. The big problem for me was getting one of Malcom Smith's stable guys to do gallops. Freddie Pratt was the strongest rider by far and a character. Brian Hibberd came along much later. And yes Mr Scooby.

Anyway they all mostly eventually came up with a top horse setting themselves.up. Good on them for sticking with it.

Perhaps the Taranaki Jockey Club should commision someone like Aiden Rodley to do a book on the last 50 years of racing in the area. Some interesting material not just the champions such as La Mer Poetic Prince and Rough Habit along with Alan Sharocks top performers. but stories behind horses such as Flying Luskin (the President got into trouble maybe we forget that one) and even Rex Allens association with a horse called Bijou Boy which ended up tragically when the owner committed suicide. 

That's a great idea. Tony Bird of the Taranaki Daily News (is he still there would be a great source). You're right, many of that era have gone on and done well, trainers, owners, jockeys, etc. My best mate then was Dave Littlejohn, a cow cocky from Inglewood who raced and later stood Mayo Mellay and a bunch of other stallions. I knew the Dravitzkys (Kevin especially) then also. Great people - they raced the good mare Dee Opal by Diamante D who the Ferdie forwards Garth and Alistair Scown stood. Does anyone know what happened to Dave ?

I remember Rak winning a race on Dyak also Rak and Rory taking a horse to Aussie and pulling off a huge plunge in Victoria.

Frank Walsh had some good ones - Marinoto and Koparoa come to mind.

Maria Mitchell and Counsel were probably the best two,Marinoto not far behind.

BWD.

Payco never won a Wellington Cup, he did win the 1983 NZ Cup though but never at those odds.

Speculation won the Thorndon as you said which was on the last day of the 1981 Wellington Carnival and Payco won the 2400m open handicap so that would have been the double that day. Payco carried 47kgs and was ridden by Peter Tims.  

The Cup was run the first day and won by Koiro Trelay (Phillip Smith) and the Telegraph was won by Anderil (Chris McNab).

The Wellington Cup winners list is a good read.

1970 Il Tempo WB Priscott ND Riordan 3.16.75   1971 Ansin MI Matulich DA Peake 3.19.25   1972 Simon De Montfort Mrs TG Whelan BS Dodds 3.17.75     * Paid $180.10 to win on the tote and its owner did not back him. 1973 Rustler JC & Mrs Fletcher DA Peake 3.20.75   1974 Battle Heights R & Mrs Douglas AJ Tweedie 3.23.5   1975 Timon GR Pollock GL Willetts 3.23.00   1976 Guest Star IJ Tucker MR Campbell 3.20.75   1977 Good Lord ML Hines BS Compton 3.24.5   1978 Good Lord ML Hines DA Peake 3.18.00   1979 Big Gamble DP McLennan, HJ & Mrs Tapper TG Autridge 3.19.25   1980 Cubacade R & Mrs Gallagher JW Walker 3.23.51   1981 Koiro Trelay DG Canning PB Smith 3.18.75 E Temperton 1982 Ruanuku Mr MH Tims and Est late WJ Pratt SR Autridge 3.19.25   1983 Kiwi Mr & Mrs ES Lupton JA Cassidy 3.20.29 ES Lupton 1984 Secured Deposit NG Atkins, Mesdames E M Mackley & DJ Ralph NJ Hain 3.22.6 NG Atkins 1985 Imaprince JC Bell PJ Mercer 3.22.27   1986 Samasaan MR Bell, IH Harrison & GA Jackson CW Johnson 3.23.22   1987 Rastes KN Allen, Miss PS Brough, PJ Marron Jnr & Mrs RD Sievers PA Taylor 3.22.56   1988 Daria's Fun DA Hodgetts, DW Mayers & DM Richardson GM Stewart 3.15.59   1989 Noble Khan RJ Fleetwood, Mrs MC Kuzmich, DG Terry & JA Willmott PG Ayres 3.19.21   1990 Flying Luskin JF Karam, TJ McKee, PJ Walker & JA Wells PD Johnson 3.20.52   1991 Castletown PM Busuttin Jnr, BJ McCahill Snr & KP Morris NG Harris 3.18.37 PM Busuttin 1992 Castletown PM Busuttin Jnr, BJ McCahill Snr & KP Morris NG Harris 3.19.33 PM Busuttin 1993 Dancing Lord KS Lee L Isherwood 3.18.19 Stephen & Trevor McKee  1994 Castletown PM Busuttin Jnr, BJ McCahill Snr & KP Morris NG Harris 3.18.63 PM Busuttin 1995 Ed AJ & Mrs LM Crooks DM Oliver 3.18.25 AC Beckett 1996 Yes Indeed DJ & Mrs MA Deegan RW Caddigan 3.17.85 MD Moroney 1997 Ed AJ & Mrs LM Crooks LA O'Sullivan 3.17.39 ND Eales 1998 Aerosmith Messrs AB & DG Smith GL Cooksley 3.22.62 PJ & Mrs NA Hurdle 1999 Miss Bailey Mesdames A Bailey & KJ Eckhold L Isherwood 3.21.91 GM Cullen 2000 Second Coming A J Burdon, Sir Owen Glenn, P S Lindberg, P A Moroney & G G Peterson MT Coleman 3.20.93 Mike & Paul Moroney 

Some Thorndon Mile winners ..

1973  Kaukapakapa

1974  An Illusion 

1977  Grey way

1978  Copper Belt

1979  Polly Porter

1980  Raywood Lass

1981  Speculation

1982  Powley

1983  McGinty

1986  Pinson

1987  Johnny Alone

1988  Golden King

1989  Tricavaboy

rdytdy and beerwithduncan...

I believe that Payco was at cricket score odds when he won the NZ Cup.

Lofty Taylor won both legs of the double (Cup and Mile), both at good odds, that day, did he not?

Cheers.

Ashoka

Rex Allen owned the dam of Noble Times and bred the filly but she was raced by Gary Vile and his stable clients and they had to exercise a right of purchase when the US offer came. Rex had nothing to do with the racing partnership that raced Noble Times.

beerwithduncan Payco won the Wellington Racing Club Handicap on 24/1/81. He paid $206.10.The double with Speculation paid $863.85.The concession with Daybreak paid $1,634.05.Hope you got the concession as well!

Did Don Grubb also train Tono - Bungay Peter?  I recall Bustling Bill winning on him numerous times unless my memory has failed me again ;) .

now he was a great horse but a very moody horse.by wandering eyes out of sparkling maid if i remember correctly.he had to have his own way in front,then he would let a few horses go past him before he would rally with his tail swishing and bustling billy digging him in the ribs with both heels and flash past them again on the rails to win.amazing will to win,with a little help from his friend w j skelton of course.lol