RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ivanthegreat

Nasal Strips.............. performance enhancing ??

Did anyone else notice that.

- ALL the Allstars runners ( 12 ) had nasal strips ?

- ALL the Dunn runners ( 7 ) had them .

- The Dalgety horse Christen Me had one.

- No other trainers had horses fitted with one.

- Only 1 squaregaiter had one.

Before I continue I emphasise I have no connection with the sale or importation of these devises.

Collectively they won and quinella'd the Auckland Cup $250k , won the Derby $250k , trifecta'd the $100k 2yo race , won the 2yo fillies race worth $80k ,Quinella'd the last race $20k and ran a very unlucky 2nd in the 1st race.

"nasal strip's were tested by researchers who found the product reduced lung hemorrhaging in horses by about 50 percent. Unlike humans, horses only breathe through their nose. When a horse breathes, it can generate a negative pressure in its lungs. High-intensity activities like races, combined with a narrow nasal passageway, put extra pressure on the horse and often result in a hemorrhage in the lungs."

• Results showed that the nasal strip's did improve the airway, leading to reduced lung damage.
  •  
  • “The nasal strip reduces bleeding, reduces the secondary infections that can damage the lung afterward and also may help facilitate the horse to perform better,” Poole said.
  •  
  • The researchers say the nasal strip may improve performance because it reduces fatigue. They believe this is a more honest approach to racing enhancements and a better alternative than some drugs currently being used

Mad if you don't is all I can say.

More "performance optimising", than "performance enhancing", I would have thought. They simply allow the airways to remain operating at maximum capacity under stress., so they're a definite advantage at the end of a hard race.

I know nothing about them.....

But if it is common knowledge....why would every trainer not be using them?

There are a number of articles claiming they are as effective at reducing bleeding as treating horses with Lasix. Given they're not that expensive and pre race treatment for EIPH isn't allowed I'm surprised they're not more popular.

what is performance enhancing - giving a horse water when he's thirsty - nasal strips- I had a horse cool hand luke who was the first to ever wear on in nz. I use them on all my coz for 10 bucks they cant hurt- do they help I don't know. I don't agree they are as good as Lasix-

I have had one bleed  badly  with a nasal strip- my reading says Lasix will stop 99 percent of bleeds- crazy we cant use it here- don't make them go faster but good for animal welfare- remember altitude he prob wouldn't have died-

Lasix can be used 4.2 days out . at least it means u can give a fast work and u don't bleed which means there is no inflammation going into a race. the old line trotted out is they are a mask  dunno about that but in usa where permitted just about all horses race on them - clearly marked in form guides

. not like bute which hides pain  I think Lasix stop bleeding- big difference for animal welfare and safety.

How the hell could these nasal strips prevent bleeding?

I bet the top trainers mentioned here don't have to pay for them. Just an educated guess.

I think you mean uneducated guess. I have not heard of trainers not paying for them. From my experience nasal strips have definitely helped with bleeders iv had anything to do with. I worked for a trainer that swore by them, and as timmy said for $10 why not use that advantage. 

I worked for a trainer who had a guy give him free tendon and knee boots and they used his name for advertising them.

That's what I mean. Not much need to use Purdon's and Dalgety's names when we can all see the strips on their noses.

So I call it an educated guess myself. And yes I could be wrong which is why I said an educated guess.

Sheesh :rolleyes:

I didn't follow up on my opening post on this following the Auckland Cup night but do intend watching and reporting.

Anyone see the last at Waimate on Sunday ?

Whyamibetter $22.10 & $4.10 the last race in the $75k Pick Six........... had a nasal strip.

Well at least horses breath through their noses when running. I've seen plenty of human athletes with things up their nose, nostrils to keep their airways open but the funny thing is that people breath more through their mouth when competing.

What about the horses with the condition where they have an operation that leaves an exposed hole in their throat. Don't know what the procedure is called but they have a plug in the hole that is taken out for exercise. I've seen one myself that a mate had. It won a couple. So why don't they win by huge margins every race? They've got a big hole half way up their throat, neck so there for are getting air into their lungs a hell of a lot sooner and more of it before all other horses that breath from their nose but they don't dominate on race day. And if it worked there'd be a lot of horses with this condition all of a sudden.

So does this ruin the theory here? Wouldn't the first trainer to apply for this rule to allow their horse to race have had to prove that they weren't gaining an advantage regards breathing?

Not exactly, not so much gaining an advantage as allowing the horse to perform to its full potential. A wind operation improves breathing but doesn't necessarily correlate with increased total lung capacity, gas exchange or pulmonary circulation. In theory performance should improve post op vs not having the procedure done but doesn't guarantee they will grow another leg.

Doesn't mean anything Ivan. Trainers are not scientists and would only use them in case they work. How would a trainer KNOW they work? By listening to the salesman?

JEWELS DAY

Only 23 runners wore Nasal Strips...........

Total Prizemoney = $599,100

7 Winners

5 Second

4 Third

4 Fourth

Quinella'd Race 1 , 2 , 5 ,6 , 9

Trifecta'd Race 6 , 9

So you guarantee that any horse I put a nasal strip on will run like Mark Purdon's team?

Funny that Mark hasn't convinced Barry to use them which makes me still suspect they weren't paid for either.

JEWELS DAY

Only 23 runners wore Nasal Strips...........

Total Prizemoney = $599,100

7 Winners

5 Second

4 Third

4 Fourth

Quinella'd Race 1 , 2 , 5 ,6 , 9

Trifecta'd Race 6 , 9

Bullshit only 23 horses wore Nasal Strips. The entire Purdon and Rasmussen team did (at least every horse I can see a picture of of theirs had one on) but then you had Knights, DeFilippi, Dunn, Weaver, McGrath, Stormont, Negus, Barron and Williamson - just to name a few who all wore them. 

There was 117 starters of which 28 wore nasal strips of those 23 were Purdon and Rassmussen, unless some had transparent ones.

From the images on the Race Images website. Found here http://www.raceimages.net.nz/gallery/index.gallery.php?gid=1202

Just from a quick look through: Ultimate Desire, Venus Serena, Luisanabelle Midfrew, Mum's Pride, Pat Campbell, Poppymalda, Al Raza, Alderbaran Ay Em, All Royal Gal and the Orange Agent.