RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Horsetalk

Canterbury brand - anyone know it?

HI all

I'm helping a friend find out who her horse is .. procured from a Rangiora stable (don't know which one). She has no idea on name, breeding, or anything - other than this mare didn't make the grade as a racehorse.

If anyone can tell me whose brand this is (I am guessing a local vet), I would be grateful.

post-13891-0-00658400-1425025446.jpg

post-13891-0-68096000-1425025447.jpg

If no one on here can do it for you, you can go to the NZ Racing website and look up the Stud Book page. Under the information section ( top right) you will see when clicked, down the bottom that they will identify the horse for you for a $25 fee. ( Sorry I haven't been able work out how to paste URL links on this site )

Even if the horse came from Australia ,  it should still be able to be identified for you.

NB. the numbers 43  8 mean it was born in 2008 and it was the 43 rd horse branded on the farm in that year

If no one on here can do it for you, you can go to the NZ Racing website and look up the Stud Book page. Under the information section ( top right) you will see when clicked, down the bottom that they will identify the horse for you for a $25 fee. ( Sorry I haven't been able work out how to paste URL links on this site )

Thanks, I did know this but was hoping to ID the cypher brand .. as I am doing a favour for a friend I was wanting to to the detective work myself, without coughing up. Standardbreds are so much easier!

I may have it wrong with the numbers --the 43 could mean it is the 43rd horse branded that year with that brand. So for example, it could be a vets brand that he/she uses on a number of properties.

Yes, I figured it was likely a vet's brand given the high numbers on the offside.

After I posted I thought it may not even be a Canterbury brand.

Thanks.

I had a quick look through a sales catalogue. It could be a Hastings area brand. Endsleigh Thoroughbreds ( Hastings) sold two horses this year with a brand like this ( the right hand side of the brand is a C --is that correct ?)

EC (back to front E with a C the right way around joined to it) is Callaghan McCormick vets in Hastings.  That would be right if Endsleigh Thoroughbreds has that brand, as that breeder comes from Hastings.

I've had another flick through some old catalogues. There is definitely a brand with the O as shown but I could only find one horse with it ( a St Reims colt). Sold from a Tauranga based farm --as agent.

So it is a NZ brand and probably a vets brand from the Waikato area. But I'm surprised given this was number 43 for the year more are not showing up in the sales catalogues.