RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Huey

Duplication in the NZ Racing Media

Is this getting to saturation point? 

Quite often same stories appear on the NZracing site, that appear in the NZTM bulletin that appear in the local Newspaper and in the Informant, Not to mention the web feeds.

What is the point of that occurring, it is probably 90% the same audience in in each publication.

Is there a cost savings to be made somewhere there?

This is a topic MediaPA could enlighten us on as the Racing Desk is relatively new in racing and many stalwarts wouldn't have a clue what is?

How many involved? Who pays? Who deals with the media outlets?

Now I realize many such outlets now don't and will not pay for someone to do racing articles. However whoever deals for instance with NZ Sunday Herald is not doing a good job. The other week that paper had a full page colour advert from Te Akau in the rugby section whilst the racing section was about half a page black and white racing desk story (just a report off the TV no direct interviews) I might add the so called racing section was well and truly hidden in the middle of the paper.

Media PA..... some of your stories are good i.e. direct interviews but many are just observations straight of the TV. How about an interview with John Allen and get some insight into what is planned. Us non accredited non journalists don't have access to those unwilling to elaborate on their jobs.

As an aside having stories authored by NZ Racing Desk is useless. Readers want to know who actually is writing the stuff.

What hope is there for getting answers from racing managers when Racecafe's own editor won't respond to perfectly reasonable questions such as from Huey and myself.

This is an area that MediaPA has gone to considerable PR activity to qualify himself as an expert. I can't think of anyone more appropriate to respond. Anyone who participates on Racecafe is thirsty for knowledge.about the racing industry. Lets have some openness and cooperation.

Pretty sure the Racing Desk is paid by NZTR to write stories and distribute them as far and wide as possible for free.

If you are the Herald, are you going to run a free story, or pay Mike Dillon to write one?

"As an aside having stories authored by NZ Racing Desk is useless. Readers want to know who is actually writing the stuff"

As Alannis Morrisette would sing "Isn't in ironic...don't ya think" - Slam Dunk calls for transparency from behind his/her non de plume.

Just sayin! :P 

"As an aside having stories authored by NZ Racing Desk is useless. Readers want to know who is actually writing the stuff"

As Alannis Morrisette would sing "Isn't in ironic...don't ya think" - Slam Dunk calls for transparency from behind his/her non de plume.

Just sayin! :P

The difference is I don't get paid for what I write. Its exactly what it is. A viewpoint from a racing enthusiast regardless of what background or qualification.

Readers of Racing Desk material deserve the right to evaluate the worth of it based on the worth of the writer. THen again if the writer is over qualified like an award winning journalist one has to ask whether that writers time could be better spent writing promotional stuff for the industry rather than mundane reports off the TV. 

The Informant doesn't use NZ Desk stories for their newspaper publication, only their online publication - which is perfectly normal in the news world.

Many online news publications write the same stories, but make them their own, whereas some just use the RSS feed to boost numbers.

The Informant doesn't use NZ Desk stories for their newspaper publication, only their online publication - which is perfectly normal in the news world.

Many online news publications write the same stories, but make them their own, whereas some just use the RSS feed to boost numbers.

I'm sure I've seen snippets in the written version that is the same as NZdesk. But anyway thats beside the point, we have several outlets for media and in a round about way they come up with the same stories.