RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Yankiwi

Putting an end to rumours

http://www.riu.org.nz/announcements/mediarelease-greyhoundracing

"The Racing Integrity Unit (RIU) is taking steps to improve trainer education, including taking a page in the next NZGRA magazine, following a spate of positive drug tests in Greyhound Racing which the RIU considers could reflect negligence and a lack of awareness in feeding and treatment processes and regimes.

In recent weeks four kennels have returned a collective total of ten drug positives for the drugs procaine and morphine.

The RIU has adopted a strategy of increasing the drug testing of Greyhounds. Over 3,000 greyhounds, 7% of all starters, are now drug tested annually. This is a higher level of testing than in Greyhound Racing in Australia.

The penalties for drug offences were substantially increased by the NZGRA last August as part of its ongoing integrity strategy developed with the RIU.

The kennels concerned and the number of positives are:

W and T Steele (3)

J Black and A Steele (1)

S J Payne (3)

A Lawrence (3)

For any further information contact Mike Godber, RIU General Manager, 027 474 4381"

Listen to some more excuses from trainers, will be some more  funny reading

What is it this time?, grandma given Eye drops to the dogs, Local Milk man  gave the dogs some Bread with poppy seeds

Really are some incompetent trainers out there, Lack of  Education is not an excuse 

put them out for 2 years , that will make them source some education

so are they going to get charges?????

we all make sure we have decent meat for our races cant use that as a reason!!!!

been offered plenty of cheap dodgy meat for cheap but you cant risk it!!!

Those who are so quick to assume wrongdoing might like to consider the likelihood that coincidentally suddenly there is a spate of positives in the greater Waikato area from multiple kennels for drugs which have been detectable for a long time.

Do you seriously believe that trainers with such a long history in the industry have suddenly displayed a lack of understanding of these things in their feeding practices, etc.? The greater education line is worrying given the experience of these trainers - these are not recent entrants or people unaware of the requirements to present drug free dogs.

Something odd is happening here, and I for one do not believe there is any foul practice by these trainers. I hope a thorough joint investigation by officials and the trainers named will identify the cause.  How many more positives are about to be identified from recent swabs, from the named kennels and from others? 

The greater education line is worrying given the experience of these trainers - these are not recent entrants or people unaware of the requirements to present drug free dogs.

Lets face it. The RIU are not experts in the preparation for presenting a dog for a race.

Therefore, it could be argued that the same list of highly experienced trainers would be among those which the RIU could seek advice from, prior to putting some educational material together.

Somethings very fishy alright.

Times are tough. Trainers struggle to make ends meet. So they get desperate. And as the riu have said, more testing going on now.

I strongly disagree Johnnybooy.

Firstly, are only trainers in the north struggling? Arch is #9 in the strike rate chart with nearly $90k won so far this season. If the 9th highest trainer in the strike rate chart is "struggling", then the sport is doomed from a trainers perspective.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/trainers/trainer-premiership.aspx

Secondly, if I wanted to gain an unfair advantage and drug a dog to win a race, Morphine would be the worst possible choice to make IMHO. Awake in lala land one minute & asleep the next, not a very good tactic at all in my book. There would be much more effective choices to use, which would be so much easier to source, if you weren't worried about a positive swab. A cup of coffee always seems to wake me up in the morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

I strongly disagree Johnnybooy.

Firstly, are only trainers in the north struggling? Arch is #9 in the strike rate chart with nearly $90k won so far this season. If the 9th highest trainer in the strike rate chart is "struggling", then the sport is doomed from a trainers perspective.

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/trainers/trainer-premiership.aspx

Secondly, if I wanted to gain an unfair advantage and drug a dog to win a race, Morphine would be the worst possible choice to make IMHO. Awake in lala land one minute & asleep the next, not a very good tactic at all in my book. There would be much more effective choices to use, which would be so much easier to source, if you weren't worried about a positive swab. A cup of coffee always seems to wake me up in the morning.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caffeine

Morphine in the right dosage could be highly advantageous I think you might find

Debateable morphine not being an advantage in some instances Yankiwi!!!. I take it for pain to an artificial limb and it picks me up wonderfully,  and is effective in deadening the pain.  On the other hand my mate next door takes the same dosage and it bowls him over , he becomes very drowsy.. In any case it don't matter these trainers  have been found positive and  they will no doubt get 3 weeks and a $20 fine  Freeman/Clark versus R.I.U. sets the benchmark? 

Debateable morphine not being an advantage in some instances Yankiwi!!!.

Morphine in the right dosage could be highly advantageous I think you might find

Points taken.

Maybe I was to busy smoking something I shouldn't have been, to first realize this.  B)

I agree that it seems unusual for so many positive swabs to occur in a similar region, but nevertheless they have tested positive to banned substances and must face the consequences, it is up to the trainer to present their dogs drug-free after all.

Like people of this calibre are really going to put their lively hoods on the line especially when they have to pay the prizemoney back put their GOOD NAMES on the line. Seems to be your all great at judging before you know the facts me personally CANNOT see any of these trainers intentionally being dodgy !!

The thing I would like to know is are the JCA going to ask them if they all get their meat from the same supplier or from else where. If they do use the same supplier is the RIU & JCA going to investigate them as well or are they just going to dismiss the idea that it could have been the meat the trainers got & only punish the trainers for some thing that may not have even been their fault.

according to this it is a pain killer and also a  vasodilator..... that is used in the administration of penicillin to reduce the pain of the intramuscular injection......