RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Insider

The prejudice against later foals....

It never fails to amaze me how stupid some people are when it comes to the yearling sales and the buyers prejudice against later born foals.

Today's superstar winner, Headwater was born 6 Nov.

By Australian standards that's a late foal!!!

P.S. He will win the Slipper by a minute.

Beechcraft [going back a few years here but worked with him as a yearling and later as a 2/3yo] - was an early DECEMBER foal: won the Wanganui and Hawkes Bay Guineas - then went to Aussie and smashed the previously unbeaten Sir Dapper in the Caulfield Guineas!

I have been buying yearlings for over 25 years and have never considered the foaling date to be very relevant by the time a yearling is approx 15 months old. Only time i really look at the date is if the horse is small or a bit backwards, but often this is due to preparation etc.

As to the old mares debate I dont have problems with a foal from an older mare if the foal is a good type and/or the mare has been a good producer of runners.

Statistically though, there is some evidence that the first 3 or 4 foals are often superior runners to later foals.

As always there are exceptions - I think Balmerinos dam was 20 or 21 when he was foaled.