RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

Well done Wairoa

Havn,t been to Wairoa for years...but the memories of going with Nana and Pops watching the likes of Clive Comet and Charlie win hold very fond memories 

Ahhh the good old days in the bay, both trained by Nobby Gregory if I recall, never had to worry about pace in a race if Charlie was in it.

Also around that time was Churchill lad, and the 2 that were trained at Wairoa I think, On Show And No Show.

Ahhh the good old days in the bay, both trained by Nobby Gregory if I recall, never had to worry about pace in a race if Charlie was in it.

Also around that time was Churchill lad, and the 2 that were trained at Wairoa I think, On Show And No Show.

Always used to make the trip with Nana and Pops to the Waipuk Cup meeting with its

seemingly long undulating straight but still being on pace was good for punters.

Only a short drive in the ole Datsun 120y.

Still rocking I see on thier Facebook (Waipukarau Jockey Club)...

Fri 20th Mar. good hospitality package. might see you there...

(what happened to a weekend date...Sunday @ least for wairoa/Waipuk Cup? 

Waipuk are amazing hosts for owners. You go into their hospitality room and there's so much food and drink and then you look out the back and there's for or five ladies making more sandwiches.

Sounds lovely.  Good old fashioned country hospitality.  That sort of thing goes a long way, IMO.

There certainly is quite a variety in terms of hospitailty in the owners' rooms round the place.  I remember one occasion when I felt like a beggar or a thief as I ventured up for a small glass of wine or orange juice - and where officials beind the bar were quite unfriendly and it was made more than clear that one drink was the limit (not that I was after more than one anyway!) - it felt like we were almost an imposition by our mere presence!

In contrast some rooms are so lovely and welcoming.  On some courses they seem to have scouts out identifying owners and making sure you know where the room is and that you are welcome.  And once you're there there are people who seem to take a genuine interest in you and your horse and are just lovely hosts.

In the latter category my last trip to Waverley comes to mind.  Lovely people and gracious hosts.

And of course there are a lot of variations between the extremes. It seems to me it's a relatively easy thing to get right and clubs would do well to emulate those who are good at it as it leaves owners who attend to watch their horses witha good feeling - they enjoy themselves and feel valued.  And this can be so whether or not their horse is successful that day and whether the room itself is flash or very modest on any particular course.

One thing I think must be a little challenging for clubs is the big syndicates.  How does it work when there are massive numbers involved in ownership of a horse - do they all get racebooks and owner's ribbons?  When it comes to some of the smaller courses ( and actually some of the bigger courses too - Awapuni for instance has a fairly small room for the after-race get-togethers) - I can't imagine all the syndicate members (if they chose to attend) would even fit in - let alone the rest of the owners.  And as for feeding and watering them - you'd probably need 3 cases of wine and a whole battalion of "ladies" toiling away on the sausage rolls and sammies to cater for them!

Congrates to wairoa club for a great day and looking after the owners with $3 beers and free food in the owners tent all day.It's good to see a club doing this as some clubs just want you to put your hand in your pocket all day and pay.They have a free social event Saturday that all owners racing sunday also get invited to. Well done.

Congrates to wairoa club for a great day and looking after the owners with $3 beers and free food in the owners tent all day.It's good to see a club doing this as some clubs just want you to put your hand in your pocket all day and pay.They have a free social event Saturday that all owners racing sunday also get invited to. Well done.

Geez what a great lead...more power to their elbow.

More owners would be enticed with more clubs like this.

First year have nt been in about 5 and missing it.The Saturday night BBQ is to die for 100 crabs fresh paua fritters the best local meat etc then a great night at the Cossie with the Calcutta and a trip out to the frasertown pub to break in the dawn! All the best tomorrow