RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
mcmissile

Trouble brewing......

https://www.thedogs.co.nz/News.aspx?NewsID=1412

"As a consequence of the live baiting in Australia GRNZ are taking a proactive approach where any dog that is or was in the care of a trainer involved in the Australian live baiting investigation will be embargoed from racing in NZ."

Excellent decision!

"We are also formulating a number of Rule changes around prohibiting the transferring of dogs from one trainer to another while under investigation or disqualification."

It's about time that this loophole in our rules is being addressed. Unfortunately it was exploited very recently by one trainer in the 10 to 20% bracket previously mentioned, in my opinion.

Don't agree,what has the dog done wrong? Hang the trainer but the owner should be allowed to sell his or her dog to anyone she likes.....Gezz  GRNZ get of your bums and do something positive, not sit in the office and make threats by typing something you can't keep .  Rule changes have to be voted at conference at the end of the year...Do what john says offer a reward, but don't pick on the poor dogs.....Gee animal welfare aye good on you Greg ......Maybe we will be lucky and our government will step in and replace our whole board.

Don't agree,what has the dog done wrong? Hang the trainer but the owner should be allowed to sell his or her dog to anyone she likes.....Gezz  GRNZ get of your bums and do something positive, not sit in the office and make threats by typing something you can't keep .  Rule changes have to be voted at conference at the end of the year...Do what john says offer a reward, but don't pick on the poor dogs.....Gee animal welfare aye good on you Greg ......Maybe we will be lucky and our government will step in and replace our whole board.

I'm not sure I'd be so quick to pass on any judgement Houndfan.

Nobody has said that anyone in NZ can't buy one of "those" dogs. You can buy as many as you like, but you may have to keep them in Australia for a yet to be determined amount time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Embargo

Rule changes do not have to wait until the end of the year. Shall we turn to the rule book once again?

8.1 The Rules of Racing or any of them may from time to time be amended or revoked by unanimous resolution of the Board of which not less than fourteen days’ notice has been given to each Board member.  Prior to any amendment, revocation or addition to the Rules of Racing being considered by the Board, the proposed amendment, revocation or addition shall be notified to: 

a. every Club; 

b. the Judicial Control Authority;  

c. the Integrity Services Provider; and 

d. the New Zealand Racing Board. 

In addition details of any proposed amendment, revocation or addition to the Racing Rules shall be placed on the Association website and published in the Association’s industry magazine no  later than 20 days prior to the Board meeting at which the amendment, revocation or addition will be considered. 

No amendment to the Rules of Racing shall be made by the Board without the prior written consent of the New Zealand Racing Board and the prior consent of Clubs holding not less than two thirds of the votes able to be cast by all Clubs at a general meeting of the Association.  Such consent by the Clubs may be provided to the General Manager by email and/or by telephone.

Don't agree,what has the dog done wrong?

Nothing really, but if it has been exposed to these 'training methods' is any 'advantage' gained permanent and therefore unfair? I don't know.

You're right, the owners are innocent, but it's kind of like being Lance Armstrong's sponsor, I guess. The shit sticks to everyone.

Don't agree,what has the dog done wrong? Hang the trainer but the owner should be allowed to sell his or her dog to anyone she likes.....Gezz  GRNZ get of your bums and do something positive, not sit in the office and make threats by typing something you can't keep .  Rule changes have to be voted at conference at the end of the year...Do what john says offer a reward, but don't pick on the poor dogs.....Gee animal welfare aye good on you Greg ......Maybe we will be lucky and our government will step in and replace our whole board.[/quote

Well it's pretty hard Steve when the people on the club boards that have the decision on whether these type of rules can be passed are the exact same people who are the ones out there doing this type of disgusting behaviour, that's why you are correct in that we cannot continue with this self-governance that we have, it has been proven in Australia that it hasn't worked and I think the same applies here, hard to change things when the ones breaking the rules are also some of the ones making them!!

I dont believe this is comparing apples with apples.

1080, while I don't condone its use whatsoever, it currently legal for use in our country.

Live baiting isn't.

. Isnt the issue here being humane? A suffering animal is just that regardless of so called 'legalities',so before this practice was outlawed you would of condoned it? ...howd you like them apples?

At the end of the day, I hope everyone in the NZ greyhound racing industry has and continues to learned from what has been happening over the ditch.

If the people in the Australian greyhound industry took the chance to look towards the States & why it has met it's demise there, in nearly every state, maybe they wouldn't be in the situation they are now in.

Here's a bit of a write up by Michigan State University law school.

https://www.animallaw.info/article/greyhounds-racing-their-deaths

Doesn't it sound familiar?

. Isnt the issue here being humane? 

It's ONE of the issues here.

If it's your mission to see 1080 banned, I'd suggest there are better forums out there to plead you case, where the MP's might get some exposure to your views. They might even be able to help you in your campaign.

JCA, RIU, GRNZ, breeders, trainers, owners, punters or Granny Smith aren't going to be any help in stopping its use. Most of the aforementioned will however have heaps of interest in a live baiting debate.

Being 'humane' is the issue,

Excuse my ignorance yanky,what other issues ?

A breach of the governing law/rule is another.

The use of 1080 is legal for the DOC to use.

Live baiting by a greyhound trainer is in breach of greyhound racing rules.

Rules? I dont need a governing body to 'help' me differentiate between right and wrong,particularly involving torturing defenceless animals,shagging sheep is legal in some countries,would you go there? It all boils down to humanity,and some peoples perception is clouded

the potential for injury is increased with the nz setup,the lure stops to quickly and the winner gets the whole field coming in over it,has to be a better way

Now now, stirring shit is not allowed on here

All im saying is if they do suspend greyhound racing in aus because of this (which i highly doubt will happen), than many of there dogs could possibly be sent over here to race because trainers cant afford having 20-30 dogs sitting around in kennels and not racing

I would say that these trainers that have been 'caught' will be made examples off than greyhound racing will continue on as normal (you would have to be pretty stupid to get caught live baiting over there now)

that would be awesome as there would be some nice dogs forsale at a nice price too

I'm proud of my Greyhounds and trainers and so should all of us be, I believe everyone in this game is. We shouldn't let a few mongrels bring this fantastic sport down. These dogs love to run they get off on it, Anyone that has anything to do with the sport can tell that. It should never be closed down just because some low life's. Long live Greyhound racing. There are a lot of fantastic people on this sport. You will always get bad apples in any business. Just have to weed them out.

that would be awesome as there would be some nice dogs forsale at a nice price too

If Australian greyhound racing collapsed, it would only be a matter of time before the same happened here. Thinking that a shutdown in Australia would benefit the NZ scene is naiive.

If Australian greyhound racing collapsed, it would only be a matter of time before the same happened here. Thinking that a shutdown in Australia would benefit the NZ scene is naiive.

was only taking the Micky

Rules? I dont need a governing body to 'help' me differentiate between right and wrong,particularly involving torturing defenceless animals,shagging sheep is legal in some countries,would you go there? It all boils down to humanity,and some peoples perception is clouded

Got it.

You're absolutely correct. Although my perception is not clouded, it's just properly targeted.

Animal cruelty is the underlying issue.

My point is that no matter how many posts are made about the use of 1080 here, they will make absolutely no difference about it's future use or not. Thus my previous suggestion to take the crusade elsewhere where it may make a bit of difference.

On the other hand, posts relating to live baiting here might very well might help to make a difference in the future direction of our sport.

If they started spreading 1080 on or near the racing tracks or training facilities, then I think you'll quickly find we're on the same team.

If i was in charge of Greyhond NZ the first thing i would enact is.  $10,000 reward for any information that leads to a conviction off any licenced trainer guilty of live baiting. This would demonstrate the code means business in catching and weeding out these swine that are destroying the sport.  I would source the funds for this from stake money as a clear demonstration that whats happening here has a very real impact on all, and the quicker these rats and vermon are rid of, the quicker we can get back to restoring confidence.

I agree 100%. If this is going to be eliminated, it needs people within the industry to be able to speak up and know that they're going to be listened to and these things followed up. If it takes throwing a few dollars around then so be it.

If Australian greyhound racing collapsed, it would only be a matter of time before the same happened here. Thinking that a shutdown in Australia would benefit the NZ scene is naiive.[/quote

Well I disagree, in fact the outcome could potentially be quite the opposite, lets not forget the issue here is multiple wrong doings by aus trainers and at present nz greyhound racing is standing on a pedestal because theres no proven cases of this foul activity taking place here. You cant shut the sport down here on the back of whats happening thousands of miles away.

Wake up Slim, its been, and is happening here. Everybody within the code knows this. Its normal practice by some big names. I know this as doe's most others within the code. The NZGRA know this to, but will throw their unblemished hands up in shock horror. But i'm afraid they had a whistle blower 10 yrs ago and chose to ban cell phones instead. Didn't do anything about the live baiting then, and are only throwing their hands up in horror now because of whats going down in Aus. They make me vomit.

Wake up Slim, its been, and is happening here. Everybody within the code knows this. Its normal practice by some big names. I know this as doe's most others within the code. The NZGRA know this to, but will throw their unblemished hands up in shock horror. But i'm afraid they had a whistle blower 10 yrs ago and chose to ban cell phones instead. Didn't do anything about the live baiting then, and are only throwing their hands up in horror now because of whats going down in Aus. They make me vomit.

yep, there was another case a few years ago when several trainers were caught live killing on the cambridge track at about midnight, never actualy heard the outcome of this. Live baiting has happened for years in this industry and many big and small trainers are probably still out there doing it now thinking what happened in aus wont happen here