RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Uriah Heap

Super 15, 2015

It's about to kick off this weekend.

Possibly a bit early for my liking. 

I haven't really completed a good pre-season. Mostly a diet of cricket watching, which doesn't really prepare you for the rough and tumble of 1st class rugby viewing. My remote arm feels a bit soft and not yet hardened.

Still, what can you do? I'll be there Friday night at 7.35pm in front of the telly.

Not a big rugby fan but I am a little confused with the last post.

What the hell do you expect from 2nd tier players? sheesh

I agree with Puha though. Carter is past it and the all blacks especially have to boot him so Cruden and co know where they stand and can concentrate on being first five rather than being Carter's back ups.

Not a big rugby fan but I am a little confused with the last post.

What the hell do you expect from 2nd tier players? sheesh

I'd expect the 2nd tier to be able to step up early in the season when your All Blacks are still underdone.

For example Charlie Ngatai and Liam Squire from the Chiefs, Brad Shields and Motu Matu'u from the Canes, Richard Buckman from the Highlanders.

The thing with Carter is that it's now been a long time since we've seen him anywhere near his best. He was not too far off it at the end of last Super 15, but then he broke the bone and he was gone...again.

Meanwhile the others have well and truely caught up. Barrett's faster, Cruden has better slight of hand. Barrett will be playing week in week out with Nonu and Cruden with SBW over the next 4 months. Working on those combinations.

I reckon the biggest thing Dan Carter still has going for him is his goal kicking. All the others give me the jitters. Goal kicking will be vital come the World Cup games.

I've got a photo here of my son with Carter and McCaw  and they were great all blacks then but he was about 8 then. He's 20 now.

Time to retire for both. But the ego won't let them. They won the last world cup without Carter so why do they need him when he's slowed down so much more and broken down so many more times? Get with reality folks.

So second tier players are expected to play as good as the All Blacks they are filling in for? I still don't get it. Mind you I'm not a big rugby fan.

I don't think it's so much that the Media are "turning on Carter". More that they are acknowledging the strength of the other 1st 5's.

Cruden, Barrett and Slade all had solid games on the weekend and were instrumental in their teams victories.

Todd Blackadder would have to stick with Slade as his 1st 5 on that effort. He's looking better and better all the time. Carter needs to win that battle (to be Crusaders No.1 1st 5) first. If he can do that, then he's back in the frame for All Black 1st 5.

Well I heard on the radio tonight that Carter is likely to be available this week. Sorry Colin Slade but you have to move to somewhere else again mate for the greatest that ever lived, even if does cost us the comp.

To the Chief supporters who booed Marty Banks when he was lining up his penalty kick at the end of tonights game you are not sports fans you are MORONS.

Didn't appear to concern him to much Gubellini. Slotted it like a pro.

Thanks eljay.Just because booing is widespread in this situation doesn't make it right! I am probably a dinosaur but I think this sort of behavior is wrong.Also happens in indoor basketball when a player is taking penalty shots.I prefer football.When a penalty spot kick is being taken you rarely hear opposition fans engaging in this lamentable behavior!

Reserve judgement on the Canes until they play the Brumbies, Tahs, Chiefs, Crusaders or Sharks I say. They've had a good run so far but haven't played a top quality outfit.

In their favour, they have plenty of home games left having played 4 of their 5 game so far away from home.

The change of coaching seems to have done the trick. Hammett clearly was a dud.