RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
lad27

Poker Bets

Time for a topic about punting.

Poker bets have been about for along time but never really got the hang of them, however use to go 50/50 with a mate on a $3 poker 4 but only cleaned up once as were all win bets.

Lately I've been going through fields and trying to pick rougher place bets for a $2 poker 3. $8 outlay means three chosen races and if you miss one leg you will still get a return. Twice I've picked a $4 place shot, missed the next and $2.80 place shot comes in and its money back and abit more.

Last Thursday I did $2 poker 3, all win bets for a change.

Opawa Extreme $2.80

Country Crossing $1.60

Aiden Baxter $1.30

Got a return of $30, which I was pretty stoked with.

Have done a poker four and a poker 3 over different races at Palmy today. Slows any extra spending on all races as it's my day off, its raining and I do enjoy a punt on my day off.

Would like to hear anyone's thoughts on this bet type.

By the way had a go at the triple trio as well last thursday, missed one anchor in the first leg and got the rest dam it!

I like poker bets and used to take them regularly. Given a Poker 4 is essentially 11 all up bets, and the tote pools on dog racing are generally small, they're probably more suitable for the small punter than the big punter as a decent all-up tends to destroy the odds of the later legs.

Good to be able to follow a few races though on one bet without all races having to come in, unlike a multi or place 6 where you can be gone in the first leg.

If you want to have a decent punt of an all-up nature you're probably better to play the fixed odds - even though going fixed odds usually means you get unders, it's better than cannibalising your price by going into a small tote pool.

I couldn't make a profit of these in the long run lad27 despite them being a fun bet type.  

I always use a decent sample size for recording my bets of each bet type and while I didn't lose much, it must return a profit for me to continue to use it.  

I have 7 bet types I'm currently using with First 4s the most profitable from Eachway then Trebles.  

I was a fair way down on Quaddies but changed technique and now am -11.  The other 6 bet types are in the positive so will continue to use them although with large sample sizes for most of these, I'm thinking of dropping a few because I'm not much in the black.  

I do the same for tracks and found the South Island was too difficult so gave up on those 3 tracks and only use the 4 North Island tracks now where Palmy has been the most profitable followed by Waikato, Auckland then Wanganui.  

Always enjoy these threads.   

Funny enough Dusty, Palmy is my best punting track as well mate. Will have a crack today but new starting boxes down there today mate ( not sure if both distances ) so will make things interesting.

Pokers been good to me so far lately so will keep plugging away :P

Whats the quaddie technique thats working for u dusty? The thing that has really changed my punting style over the years has been the advent of % betting, and its probably not always a good thing, where I used to be forced to 'go skinny' and get trebles etc multiple times over now u can be inclined to spread ur bets more, or add in others u wouldn't of in pre % betting times. On the poker bets I agree they can be suitable for some but I personally found that even after a good collect off one I would still have a bitter sweet feeling that if id just spent that amount 'all upping' them all I would've made considerably more! Im always up for punting chats dusty!

Whats the quaddie technique thats working for u dusty? The thing that has really changed my punting style over the years has been the advent of % betting, and its probably not always a good thing, where I used to be forced to 'go skinny' and get trebles etc multiple times over now u can be inclined to spread ur bets more, or add in others u wouldn't of in pre % betting times. On the poker bets I agree they can be suitable for some but I personally found that even after a good collect off one I would still have a bitter sweet feeling that if id just spent that amount 'all upping' them all I would've made considerably more! Im always up for punting chats dusty!

I love percentage betting because I like to chase smaller percentages of big dividends.  I was taking too many dogs before and getting big quaddies but it was costing me a lot so now I spend less chasing the small dividends.  I narrow one leg down to 2 runners where I'm most confident and take as many as I think I need in the other 3 legs.  eg 2 x 5 x 6 x field.  

I've been going well on sum of rugs but was 0 from 5 today haha, unlucky in 3 of them.  

Well done lad thats an awesome result for you! But like I said in my earlier post if that's me im half kicking myself because an $8 all up gets u $180! So ur halving ur return just for the security of getting 2outa3 which is usually money back ish.

Perfect for my type of punting. Next poker 3 I did was race 5/6/7.

First leg $4.80, second leg $3, third leg last. $28 return for my $8. Like the safety net, why I haven't done more in past is beyond me.

I can see both sides, if you take all favourites it's probably not worth it but if you land 1 or 2 roughies it quickly multiplies like most bet types.  

Looking back at when I took poker bets, I probably didn't take enough roughies.  

Nailed another one today!

Race 7 - Bigtime Chip $3.80 - thought had chance from inside with clear racing room.

Race 8 - Bontany Zenvo, $2.50 - box 3, seven starts with five placings - thank you very much.

Race 9 - Manyana Groper, $4.90 - stoked with tote price and caught my eye a race I watched few Mondays ago hence putting him in.

$2 poker three, cost $8 = $173.80 - You F#@ing beauty!

Starting to really like these poker bets big time!

I like poker bets and used to take them regularly. Given a Poker 4 is essentially 11 all up bets, and the tote pools on dog racing are generally small, they're probably more suitable for the small punter than the big punter as a decent all-up tends to destroy the odds of the later legs.

Good to be able to follow a few races though on one bet without all races having to come in, unlike a multi or place 6 where you can be gone in the first leg.

If you want to have a decent punt of an all-up nature you're probably better to play the fixed odds - even though going fixed odds usually means you get unders, it's better than cannibalising your price by going into a small tote pool.

I do multis- use the "any 2" option to have the same effect as "poker bets" and use percentage betting at times to reduce overall cost. I find i get  better prices  on many odds especially earllier in the day .

$8 all up gets you $372!! Lol. Just winding you up lad. Great week for you!

....how many times you get 2/3 or 3/4 etc in multis,tough gig,at least the poker gives you a consolation prize with a loss.....i had a poker 4 once (.50c)started with a $300 quinella (box 3 horses )next 3bets were places on 2/3 favs ...all ran 4th....i was counting my chickens before they hatched,always a bad move :). Keep up the good work lad !