RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Jase

What bookings have you made?

In my opinion, from a commercial perpective, I'm not keen on Edenwold. However, I'd suggest you look at Gallant Guru. Many breeders wish he was in the NI!!!!

Another couple I think are worth considering the the SI are King of Roses and My Halo. Both of which can produce colts which will turn a good profit, even at the K3 level.

Alernatively, a number of the central districts studs are offering travel subsidies for mares and would be worth a phone call to see if you qualify. In the sub 7k braket I do think Towkay and Nom Du Jeu represent value. However, if the budget can stretch, I think Road to Rock is the real deal. I have seen him at Wellfield and he is a very impressive specimin - He's the second best australian performed stallion at stud in NZ after Savabeel.

Talking about new stallions - especially for the SI small breeder whats the feeling on Edenwold ?

Have sung his praises before - bred very similarly to More Than Ready - a great type with wonderful temperament. We have an outstanding filly here and another very nice one and 3 mares pregnant to him this season. Selwyn River Stud has a little bunch of the most impressive foals with such great temperaments - all come up for a pat, coming up to yearlings. Worth taking a look at. Have seen others Edenwolds - also super. If you have a mare with any of the Boudoir (1938) family, Blue Larkspur & Mr Prospector, take a second look - it works for More Than Ready's winners. I really believe he will make his mark in NZ and we are very lucky to have him down here. Happy to show off our fillies for anyone wanting to take a look. :):):)

Talking about new stallions - especially for the SI small breeder whats the feeling on Edenwold ?

If you are going to the Sth Island Sales have a look at same of the 2yrs by Remind as I have seen a couple and he is leaving a nice type.

my mare Ististar has gone to Ekraar ( 8 weeks to go) and for those who dont know have a look at what his progeny are doing at the minute,, Gigino won in Sydney yesterday and the Ekraars are doing ok in Oz, ie Exceptionally (BeeCee probably knows that filly) and Vivid vixen to name a few ( then theres our kiwi Ekraars running around if you look at the last few weeks results) maybe they arent all black types but a few are, I dont really care what others say about the stud. Hard times are hard times, we all go through them unless of course you hid away and dont live life, its all a gamble, anyhow hopefully with a nice colt we will make ok money, Then Isti is booked to Mastercraftsman all going well, the High Chaparral mare is going to Patapan. Any breeding buffs got any comments, they will be interesting.

my mare Ististar has gone to Ekraar ( 8 weeks to go) and for those who dont know have a look at what his progeny are doing at the minute,, Gigino won in Sydney yesterday and the Ekraars are doing ok in Oz, ie Exceptionally (BeeCee probably knows that filly) and Vivid vixen to name a few ( then theres our kiwi Ekraars running around if you look at the last few weeks results) maybe they arent all black types but a few are, I dont really care what others say about the stud. Hard times are hard times, we all go through them unless of course you hid away and dont live life, its all a gamble, anyhow hopefully with a nice colt we will make ok money, Then Isti is booked to Mastercraftsman all going well, the High Chaparral mare is going to Patapan. Any breeding buffs got any comments, they will be interesting.

Hope you are right about the Ekraars as I have a lovely colt to sell this year at Karaka.

Yes he is going well considering he hasn't had big books.

I really believe that he is a good prospect. I think he sons of Southern Halo are a great option for mares from the Danehill or Star Kingdom line as More Than Ready has crossed well with those sire lines in Australia. He is a beautiful horse and had ability to match, haven't seen any progeny yet but if they have his looks they should sell ok on type.

I hope Isti has a nice foal for you guys, she is a neat little mare.

Your points on Ekraar are true. In Australia he has done amazingly well. This season he has had 6 starters for 5 winners and a G2 3rd. I think Mick Price has been happy to have Vivid Vixen tick along for 4 wins this prep but expect her to make that step up into group class in the spring along with Exceptionally they should do a great job flying the flag for their sire over the staying distances. Good to see Gigino finally back to his best, it has taken a while, Chris Waller has done a good job with him.

Remind. I have a stunning weanling filly by this stallion. Check out the weanling section http://www.gavelhouse.com The other young ones I have seen are also really nice. Lovely to handle.

Edenwold. This is one stunning horse and I am looking forward to my younger mare having a foal to him in a couple of months time.

I hope Isti has a nice foal for you guys, she is a neat little mare.

Your points on Ekraar are true. In Australia he has done amazingly well. This season he has had 6 starters for 5 winners and a G2 3rd. I think Mick Price has been happy to have Vivid Vixen tick along for 4 wins this prep but expect her to make that step up into group class in the spring along with Exceptionally they should do a great job flying the flag for their sire over the staying distances. Good to see Gigino finally back to his best, it has taken a while, Chris Waller has done a good job with him.

Love the Ekraars ..... on my second one now ......just finished her first prep at the track....took every thing in her stride, You do have to be paitent with this bred and know when to back off when they are young (work wise) My one is off to the paddock for 4 to 6 weeks now....she showed alot of promise and a very fast learner. :)

If you are going to the Sth Island Sales have a look at same of the 2yrs by Remind as I have seen a couple and he is leaving a nice type.

They are like peas from a pod - beautiful types. On the NZB online SI sale catalogue there are photos to be seen

I was put off Edenwold when I went to the Selwyn River Stud Unreserved sale.

There was one colt I really liked and a few fillies, but on the whole I felt their conformation was not good enough. Some may have been over done feed wise, and often this takes its toll on the legs.

As this is his third season I would wait and see how the first couple of crops go.

As a proven sire My Halo is hard to beat in the South Island.

Myself and a mate have a Soviet Star mare booked to Gallant Guru.

Mares current 2yr by Falkirk with Mick Price - fingers crossed.

Good luck with that Octagonal sounds promising.

I am happy another Ekraar won today at Tauranga.

Am having a nice day off today, not causing to much trouble!!

Well we were thinking of Ifraaj, but one of our mares slipped her foal so it kind of changes things!

You could do a lot worse Megan!

Early days yet of course, but his first crop in the Northern hemisphere is cutting quite a dash. He's up to 18 winners and even a little bit of black type in there as well ...

You could do a lot worse Megan!

Early days yet of course, but his first crop in the Northern hemisphere is cutting quite a dash. He's up to 18 winners and even a little bit of black type in there as well ...

Yeah but we were going to only breed from two this year - Tad and one other who we would have liked to send to Ifraaj - was going to be Windsor Phew, but then our Genuine filly broke down so would like to give her a go - then Windsor Phew slipped her foal - so Gen will probably take up he LFG to Faltaat.

Windsor Phew we will probably lease out or something, maybe see if a smaller stud wants her as she won 7, 1 at 2, and was group placed 4 times - we still have two of her fillies to breed on from later.

Hope you are right about the Ekraars as I have a lovely colt to sell this year at Karaka.

Yes he is going well considering he hasn't had big books.

Over 3 years I've had 3 colts and 2 fillies (to sell this year at Karaka).

They have all been lovely types and great to work with. Take just a tad longer to mature but I'll be going back definitely.

Over 3 years I've had 3 colts and 2 fillies (to sell this year at Karaka).

They have all been lovely types and great to work with. Take just a tad longer to mature but I'll be going back definitely.

I see 2 of the top 4 broodmares sold today (90k and 50k) are in foal to Ekraar.

Ooops was there more than one cheap one? No the Octagonal mare, lot 56.

That was good buying Megan, she is a really nice mare and leaves a nice type too. Apparently the Ekraar goes really well at Eclipse Racing Stables.