RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Jase

What bookings have you made?

What stallions have people booked into or are looking at for this season?

I havnt booked any in yet, but I'm seriously thinking about Faltaat. He has produced heaps of winners lately, and his stats are pretty good. His yearling's averaged appx 50k last year and his stock are very popular with the Asain market, as well as the ozzies and the kiwi trainers. Westbury's website says POA. He was 7,500 last year, so I'm guessing it will be less than that. If it is say $6k, that would be a pretty good deal.

I think the proven horses will be a better option for us small breeders this year, as there are so many new stallions this year. Mastercraftsman will be leading first season sire by a long way at the sales, but after that I think it will be pretty much pot luck amongst the rest.

For the other mares I'm mating I like the looks of Keeper and Shinko King, again both proven horses. The other horse I quite like is Elusive City. He leaves a stunning type, they sold through the roof last year at the sales, and he is getting winners every week in NZ, Australia and Asia. At $8k I think he is value.

What is everyone else thinking of booking to? Will you mate your mares this year? I know I left mares empty last year to reduce my costs.

We haven't bred our mares for the last two seasons, but we are sending Aim To Please and Exploza to Raise The Flag this season.

I personally love the gamble of a first season sire, and I think this guy looks pretty good. :)

Hubby has finally decided enough is enough and this year our mares are staying home also.

We do have one young mare who was empty last year, that we are going to send to a warmblood stallion just for an interest and to see what comes of it.

Although I love to see the foals grow and develop at home, I am equally excited that with no service fees to pay this coming season, Hubby might just take me on an overseas holiday next winter.

I'm sorry Ontime, but I think your mad going to Mr Nacho, twice. He is at a stud which has esentially been blacklisted by the whole industry, due to that studs very poor behavior in the past. At 10k I think your are being totally ripped off and will loose money on those foals.

I'm sorry Ontime, but I think your mad going to Mr Nacho, twice. He is at a stud which has esentially been blacklisted by the whole industry, due to that studs very poor behavior in the past. At 10k I think your are being totally ripped off and will loose money on those foals.

Considering I work there and get 2 free services a year in my contract I guess you could call that great value, would be MAD if I DIDN'T breed to leading first season sire for nothing. Nacho is the best young stallion in the country by a long shot and think time will tell that these foals are going to be in high demand. Good luck with your breeding Jase.

This being the case, I find the blacklist very poor form by the industry. It puts breeders who have previously bred to the studs sires at a distinct disadvantage. This can only do the industry a disservice as they are alienating these breeders who have bred in good faith, some very nice horses I am sure.

It is about time these differences are put to rest and let the law sort out the problems facing the said stud. What the industry does not need are vigilante style

renegades with precious little else to do.

This industry has always had the big

spenders who come and go, so nothing is a new happening. So the industry should be trying to help these breeders not bite the hand that feeds it and the small breeders are that hand.

you would be silly not to use your free service's, but to say Mr Nancho is the best young stallion in NZ by a long shot might just be stretching it a little.

He has sired one not bad 2yo though.

By the by On Point, are you at liberty to tell us all on RC, just who is the boss, the main actor, at the tiller of the good ship Stoneybridge these days.

Where is Mr Quinter? is that his name?

I have not heard of any supposed "blacklist" and I doubt it's existence.

I sent a couple of mares to Mr Nancho last year and am pleased I did so -if you have considered the ability shown by a number of his stock at training, trials and races then he is obviously a big chance of being a highly successful stallion.

Will go again this season.

I also note that included in the service fee the resultant foals get paid up for the bonus scheme [that may be all we are racing for soon :rolleyes: ]

Evidently the operating stud is unconnected with any receivership or bankruptcy so one can only hope they continue.

Come to think of it many get brownie points for attempting to climb mountains even if they fail to reach the top. :y:

Evidently the operating stud is unconnected with any recievership or bankruptcy. But there still seems to be a whole lot of uncertainty among breeders, so many conflicting stories around, no doubt you have heard a few yourself.

A public statement by whoever is running the show now might just get a few more mares through the gate for the up coming season.

Its good to see Ustinov back in action again too, he has proved he can leave a good one from limited opportunities also.

Don is 100% right: All is well at the stud: and I'm looking forward to sending my good mare up to Mr Nancho.

He's leaves a cracking type and they can run. The bonus idea is a winner, we need all the prizemoney we can get especially for fillies.

Other mares are going to Battle Paint and Road to Rock, both nice horses who deserve a chance.

you would be silly not to use your free service's, but to say Mr Nancho is the best young stallion in NZ by a long shot might just be stretching it a little.

He has sired one not bad 2yo though.

By the by On Point, are you at liberty to tell us all on RC, just who is the boss, the main actor, at the tiller of the good ship Stoneybridge these days.

Where is Mr Quinter? is that his name?

I wish I could divulge all I know Scotchmist, just to set the record straight once and for all, but I will honour the new ownership and let them make announcements when it suits them as establishing any stud whether it be from scratch or in a takeover is not done overnight so when they are set and ready an announcement will be made, I can't see it being much longer though as the season looms.

I find it a bit naive or ignorant to disregard any stallion due to where they stand(stud or region), if Nacho was at Waikato or Windsor many would say he is good value, just depends on what perspective you take and what pre-conceived bias' one might have. If Darci Brahma sires a G1 in his first 2yo crop then he will be heralded the next NZ supersire, so why not give credit where it is due, Nacho has had a great start and will only build on that next season. 10,000 for a proven sire is better value than 15,000 for an unproven one no matter what the racing credentials. It's not all about the sale ring after all.

I definately agree with your statement in regards to proven sires being better value than unproven ones. They can't all make it no matter what their breeding or race performance is. Some don't even make it with the help of beautifully bred/ performed mares. But if you are breeding to sell you must breed to the market and proven sires are not always what the market wants eg. I have a lovely colt to sell this year by Ekraar (who I think is doing a great job) my concern is he will not get a look in come sale time. I put Mr Nancho in the same category.

On point. When I am planning my matings I not only spend time assessing pedigree and type for my mare, but also alot of time analysing yearling sale figures and racetrack performances by sires. (however given your opportunity of 2 free Mr Nancho noms - I would say no either). The difference between us - I am paying out for my noms.

Below I have pasted Mr Nancho's average for all stock sold at auction in NZ in 2010. He has had 9 catalouged, 7 sold at an average of $8,900 each. (less than his 2010 service fee!!!). On the track he has had 6 runners for only 1 winner - Nancho Man. How often do we see a stallion leave 1 good horse from the first crop and not much else?

Your point about stud bias is an interesting one. Compare Savabeel last year vrs Mr Nancho this year. Savabeel served his biggest book so far last year - 131 mares at 20k , on the back of a couple of early stakeswinners from his first crop 2yos, and while he has been leaving winners every week, he hasn't cracked the 'big one' like many expected. Now take Mr Nancho - I think it highly unlikely he will get the same number or quality of mares that Savabeel did last year, even though Mr Nancho has left a better perfromed horse than Savabeel has in the last season. The difference - the stud factor.

2010 National Weanling, Broodmare & Mixed Bloodstock Sale

218 Weanling Brown ColtMr. Nancho

- Tennessee Downunda

Psd$12,500 Res$15,000

820 Yearling Bay Filly Mr. Nancho

All Day

Mr JJ Moeke Hastings $200

2010 Select Yearling Sale

914 Yearling Brown Filly Mr. Nancho

Clatitude

Psd $10,000 Res $12,000

2010 Festival Yearling Sale

8 Feb 2010

1242 Chestnut Colt Mr. Nancho

Pukunui

NEW ZEALND BLOODSTOCK LTD MATAMATA $2,500

1317 Yearling Bay Colt Mr. Nancho

Stormiss

NEW ZEALAND BLOODSTOCK LTD AUCKLAND $12,000

1343 Yearling Bay Colt Mr. Nancho Thee Old Tart

MR RR PHILP NEW PLYMOUTH $20,000

1416 Yearling Brown Colt Mr. Nancho - Alias Sydney KAY ZED RACING LTD OTAKI $1,500

1459 Yearling Black Colt Mr. Nancho - Caprianna

GEEZA BLOODSTOCK LTD AUCKLAND $26,000

1578 Yearling Chestnut Filly Mr. Nancho - Hollywood Star

MISS LM & MR T SKINNER ROTORUA $500

His results were before he sired a G1 winner, from mostly bottom end k3 mares(mine included) in the festival sale. One was even "stolen" before the ring and should have brought 40-50k if it was sold to the market. My own colt was a give away at 12k in hindsight, wish I had of held off until RTR and he would have made really good money. From better books of better quality mares he will boast much higher averages in the future, that is a certainty.

Ask anyone who has one in work, they are talented and will leave more winners this season as he himself wasn't a 2yo and was best at 3 over a mile. Best to come I say!

How, when planning a mating do you condemn a stallion with limited opportunities and sale prices that reflect more the mares lack of pedigree, included in that weanling prices and ignoring RTR results. And who says that just because a stallion is flavourable in 2010 that in 2013 he is still in demand.

If you made decisions due to inflated sales prices you would have banged your mares in foal to One Cool Cat a couple of season ago after his first crop went through Karaka and be regretting it now.

Wow you're are harsh to judge

Mr Nancho on one small crop: and sales stats don't tell the whole story. I was the vendor of the Caprianna colt and he was a beauty. Just like his dad and done well on hard feed from day one. Fillies by any sire are a misson in K3 ; don't judge by that.

I'm happy to shell out hard cash to go to Mr Nancho then the kudos or otherwise will be on me. But don't bag a horse until he's had his fair shot ie 4yolds and over. Lets wait til then and let time and history have the last word.

I think he's gonna be a excellent sire... I'll put my money where my mouth is!

Expecting one Mr Nancho, and have booked another mare to him for this year. Sons of Southern Halo have crossed well with southern hemisphere bloodlines. Last year sent mares to Stoneybridge, and was more than happy with them. Three mares served within 3 days of arriving at stud, all in foal the other mare missed. Very reasonable vet fees, I imagine that Tony Mudgway manages his stud with a teaser rather than vets as other studs appear to do. Also expecting two St. Reims.

Three of my in foal mares will have this year off. Fourth one depending on how her Thorn Park measures up (looking good) I may breed her this year.

Still to decide where my maiden mare will go this year. Thinking of Towkay or Faltaat or Captain Rio.

How, when planning a mating do you condemn a stallion with limited opportunities and sale prices that reflect more the mares lack of pedigree, included in that weanling prices and ignoring RTR results. And who says that just because a stallion is flavourable in 2010 that in 2013 he is still in demand.

If you made decisions due to inflated sales prices you would have banged your mares in foal to One Cool Cat a couple of season ago after his first crop went through Karaka and be regretting it now.

Good on you Nick for standing up and saying what you think, I wish you all the luck in the world. We wont be sending a mare to this stallion as IMO he would be more acceptable around 7-8k. I do think he is a bit of a chance and the type he is leaving are strong but I do think he will struggle as a sales stallion. You are one step a head of the market place having two free noms so good on you. Well deserved I am sure.