RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
WhoKnows

strongest regions

I still think that the South Island has overall the higher calibre and more competitive fields in the country, by I think the C.D has well and truely passed the Northern area for a clear 2nd place and not too far behind the southerners.

The Auckland and Waikato area would have to be a distant third with pretty average fields most weeks and anything can win really.

With another Southern trainer rumoured to be moving up to the C.D in the next few months it might even get more competitive, not sure why more C.D trainers don't race at Auckland and Waikato, they would win a lot more races and make the northerners lift their game!

Idk, id consider the south the strongest, but i still feel as though the north is ahead of the c.d, for example, last monday at auck, Ahern, freeman and roberts had over half the meeting, with ahern racing 15 dogs by herself, now how many races did she win? Than compare it to the amount they win in the c.d, it wasnt that greater day for them

than the wellington cup heats and finals had on display the best dogs in the cd and who came out on top? Thrilling georga, a dog that has struggled up in the north and has just come off a serious injury

Currently,

1. Southern dogs by a small margin. (although didn't Blitzing Mayhem recently show them how it's done?).
  2. Northern dogs slightly behind (it's not the dogs fault they have fewer high grade meets).
  3. CD a distant third. (in many cases when a dog is shifted from the CD to the North, it drops at least a grade or two before it gets a win).

Just my opinion.

Idk, id consider the south the strongest, but i still feel as though the north is ahead of the c.d, for example, last monday at auck, Ahern, freeman and roberts had over half the meeting, with ahern racing 15 dogs by herself, now how many races did she win? Than compare it to the amount they win in the c.d, it wasnt that greater day for themthan the wellington cup heats and finals had on display the best dogs in the cd and who came out on top? Thrilling georga, a dog that has struggled up in the north and has just come off a serious injury

To be fair for a lot of the dogs they took up there seemed to be having there first start on the track.

I agree that the North has some top dogs at the moment but it's pretty thin depth.  Blitzing Mayhem, Bright Star etc.  Even former topliners like Double Magic and Jannik are past their best.  Schofield has some nice young dogs.  

I think Ahern/Freeman/Roberts in the CD makes it stronger than ever.

In the South it's like George Simon saying, 'Dunno where to look'.  Fahey, Cleeve, Roberts, McInerney, Blackburn, Grant, Adcock, Weir, Bradshaw, Dann, Stapleton, Dunn, Casey/Fagan, Hart/Taylor, Cairns, Lee.... 

I agree that the North has some top dogs at the moment but it's pretty thin depth. 

Depth?

Have a look behind the gates (figuratively speaking) of the Walsh kennels. 

Just because you don't see them race two or three times a week, doesn't mean they are not there.  :)

Depth?

Have a look behind the gates (figuratively speaking) of the Walsh kennels.

Just because you don't see them race two or three times a week, doesn't mean they are not there. :)

Nearly half the dogs under Walsh's name on thedogs website are retired I think.

Now go look behind the gates of Aherns team and boy do they have some beautifully bred pups. Definitely a 'premiership' winning team IMO.

Yet walsh bet all these superstars of cole with a dog that you couldnt have in her top 5 best dogs

Because the best dog of his in that series nearly knuckled over in the heats and came out and ran the fastest time at Manukau since Blitzing Mayhem / Lady Shambi?? Also Thrilling Georga not in Walsh's top 5 dogs ? Oh puhlease. Would give carter windburn over 520, and probably Butcha the way he's going lately! What 5 are better than her alltheway?

Now go look behind the gates of Aherns team and boy do they have some beautifully bred pups. Definitely a 'premiership' winning team IMO.

Winning a premiership starts by having good dogs. It can also be very heavily aided by the level of competition which they race against.

Is it safe to say the premier track in the North is Manukau, the CD is Hatrick and the South is Addington?

How many "guests" have gone to Manukau and beat the home team in group races?

How many "guests" have gone to Addington and done the same?

(I've intentionally not left much space between the above questions for names/races)

How many "guests" have gone to Hatrick and the title has left the CD region?

(notably ample room for names/races below)

Nearly half the dogs under Walsh's name on thedogs website are retired I think.

Exactly.  Lady Shambi was another the North unfortunately lost.  The Walsh kennels are nowhere near the force they were, why I don't know.  As you say Reilly, you can't trust thedogs website for updated info.  

A big sign of depth in an area is the strength of the fields in the lower grades and the fields in the c0 races in the North lately have been poor in my opinion. I was a big fan of the Craik kennels but they aren't as strong as they were, that Prairie dog is one of the few coming through.  

The strength in each area varies but since I started following dogs 15 years ago, the South have always been the strongest.  Most of that long list of trainers I listed were around then and training at a similar level but as Ray Adcock said in his interview, good trainers need good dogs.  It's hard to make the slow ones go fast.  

Its just another dog of the bunny, hence why it got beaten in the heats, it does have an engine but will get beaten

Butcha is ten times better as georga, same with carter, georga couldnt get close to them, logic is another, thrilling edge would also be considered better (even though he is a sprinter), thrilling evie is looking like the real deal over distance

heres some stats on group races nation wide

SI group stats since 2010

SI: 31 GROUP VIC

ND: 8 GROUP VIC

CD: 6 GROUP VIC

the south island obviously dominate the group features down there, the majority of the group race victories down south from the cd came from little mother (4/5) and the majority of northern group race victors in this region came from distance races

CD group stats since 2010:

Nd: 18 group vic

SI: 16 group vic

CD: 12 group vic

Alot closer in the CD with the ND just edging out the SI in most group race victories. Nearly half of the cd victories over the last 5 yrs have come in the dash for cash, having won it every year since 2010

ND group stats since 2010

ND: 28

CD: 12

SI: 8

The ND have also dominated there own region over the last 5 years. The CD just edged out the SI thanks to Ahern/Cole having had the majority of the success up north with bigtime Kinvara and little mother. Also, 3 /8 group victors from down south over the last 5 years have come in the sires produce

Total group race victories:

SI: 55

CD: 30

ND: 54

Overall, the SI just edged out the ND with one more group race victory with the cd being a distant third

Please note that My numbers may be slightly off say Give or take 2 victories

Overall, the SI just edged out the ND with one more group race victory with the cd being a distant third

It seems as though your numbers are right in line with what my gut feeling was.

I must remember to go to that NZ auction site and sell my calculator!  :) lol

I agree that the North has some top dogs at the moment but it's pretty thin depth. 

Sorry to quote your same statement twice Dusty.

My "On Track" magazine lists tonights Wanganui meet as high grade, yet it started with a C1 sprint followed by a C1 middle distance race. Race 3 & 4 are both C2 sprints.

In race 5 we see a C3 sprints followed by race 6 with a second C3 sprint, or mid point in the grading between C1 & C5.

Race 7 sees us back to a C2 middle distance.

Finally, in race 8 (and three hours after race one) we see the first, what I consider to be a high grade race, with a C4 sprint.

Yet the north lacks depth???

Things will change yet again Kiwi after midnite tomorrow as the neww 3 miss rule come into effect. Will be interesting to see what impact this has......I guess natural cobalt readings in each region might have a bearing on your stats too...

Sorry to quote your same statement twice Dusty.

My "On Track" magazine lists tonights Wanganui meet as high grade, yet it started with a C1 sprint followed by a C1 middle distance race. Race 3 & 4 are both C2 sprints.

In race 5 we see a C3 sprints followed by race 6 with a second C3 sprint, or mid point in the grading between C1 & C5.

Race 7 sees us back to a C2 middle distance.

Finally, in race 8 (and three hours after race one) we see the first, what I consider to be a high grade race, with a C4 sprint.

Yet the north lacks depth???

Yes.  Another star emerging in the CD-Winning is Easy.