RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
MediaPA

Aussie Visitor Wins Karaka Million

Queensland conditioner Liam Birchley rekindled his love affair with New Zealand’s richest race when he produced exciting youngster Hardline to win the eighth running of the Listed Karaka Million at Ellerslie on Sunday night.

Having taken the 2010 edition with Sister Havana after finishing

with Sarge In Charge a year earlier, Birchley returned with a colt he felt was well suited to the task and his judgment proved to be spot on.

Despite being tardy at the start of the million dollar contest, Hardline settled nicely towards the rear as pacemaker O’Dianne set a muddling speed early in the race. As the field bunched turning for home jockey Damian Browne picked a path close to the fence as he dashed through one-off the rail in the last stages of the contest to nab a gallant Selfie with Dal Cielo finishing third.

An emotional Birchley was full of praise for the colt immediately after the race.

“I think this could be my best moment in racing,” he admitted.

“Any big race win is special and we’ve managed to win this one before but to do that today for a super bunch of owners including one of my best mates is just such an awesome feeling.”

Birchley admitted to a few nerves when the son of Showcasing was slow at the start of the contest but was sure that jockey Damian Browne had the horse under him to overcome the setback.

“Damian is a class act and he doesn’t panic,” he said.

“We had put the blinkers on the colt after his last run and I knew they would help him concentrate when it mattered at the finish.”

Expat Kiwi Browne also wasn’t concerned with his position early in the race as he was keen to avoid the rough and tumble that took place as the field jostled for position.

“I knew he would be able to finish it off hard as long as I could get him focused on the task. The blinkers worked the trick and once I moved him up behind them on the corner it was just a matter of getting a run when we needed it and thankfully that came at the right time,” he said.

The result was a triumph for Haunui Farm and their resident stallion Showcasing, who made it a second feature race win from his first New Zealand crop after Showboy had won at Group Two level in early December.

“What a great result and a triumph for the New Zealand breeding industry as Showcasing is fifty per cent owned by a large syndicate here and this is just magic,” exclaimed Haunui Farm principal Mark Chitty as he was swamped by well-wishers after the race.

“One of our long-term clients Bill Hurlstone bred him and he was sold to Hallmark Stud at the New Zealand Bloodstock Weanling Sale in 2013. They on-sold him to Liam at last year’s yearling sale so you can say he is a real product of New Zealand Bloodstock.

“The ownership structure for Showcasing means he will be staying in New Zealand, which is very exciting as his results have been fantastic in both hemispheres to date.

“He is very popular with local breeders here, having served over 450 mares in his four seasons to date so hopefully he can continue to produce horses of the quality of this guy.”

Showcasing will be represented by twenty-nine individuals during the six days of the annual New Zealand Bloodstock National Yearling Sale which commences at Karaka on Monday. 

This post has been promoted to an article

post-13690-0-40446400-1422175561_thumb.j

If that race had not been restricted to sale graduates were there any horses that wern't eligible that could have been more competitive.

Untamed Diamond perhaps the best 2yo we've seen race this season that wasn't eligible for this race?