RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cubes

Best Racecaller in New Zealand

I will probably be made to regret this post but the Tony Lee calling now is not the Tony Lee of old. This is not a personal attack on Tony I'm certain he is a really good guy, but have noticed of late that he seems to get "lost" for names (Race 4 on the first day at Wellington is one such example).I so used to enjoy his calling and for the most part still do but somehow it is just not the same. This is not meant to turn into a lets beat up on Tony Lee just my thoughts given that for the most part I just listen to races not watch them.

It's pointless comparing Callers from different era's. Same as it's pointless comparing Champions from different era's. (Eg, Sunline v Winx). You can only compare with what's around at the current time. If you're the best of your time so be it. In today's modern era, Peter Thompson probably wouldn't win a British Open Golf Title - but the record shows he won 5 - in his time. Same for Race Callers. Some are better than others, some get thru the fields more than others, some will be more eloquent. "One" of The best callers I have heard, was Bill Collins, "The Accurate One". He never relied on the camera to give a result. He always called it in the closest of finishes. He even called "Kingston Town can't win!" and was proven wrong - but that was his opinion during the running and I dare say most people watching agreed at the time - including me ! But there you go, nobody's infallible - not even me :) Give the callers a break. 

58 minutes ago, kdt said:

I will probably be made to regret this post but the Tony Lee calling now is not the Tony Lee of old. This is not a personal attack on Tony I'm certain he is a really good guy, but have noticed of late that he seems to get "lost" for names (Race 4 on the first day at Wellington is one such example).I so used to enjoy his calling and for the most part still do but somehow it is just not the same. This is not meant to turn into a lets beat up on Tony Lee just my thoughts given that for the most part I just listen to races not watch them.

tottally agree with your comments on tony lee, he was our prem caller,but doesnt have the same zip as previously, its not a matter of being a good guy,he is, that is accademic, callers are playing with publics money if you like, and tony has lost his way abit, having said that hes still better than most in our country , we are not in a position up north to be fussy, white , simons,are hopeless to be fair, lucky we mc namara in the south, hes such a great caller, probably do the dogs if he could, broadcasting  you either can or you cant, no inbetweens, ive just finished writing a book on our very best and worst race broadcasters, some who are still calling are not going to be happy, some who are no longer with us arnt going to no, its easy to say that peter was world class, and our very best ever.

37 minutes ago, Trump said:

He's even higher now and building his CV. Hong Kong could be next...

I see someone over on the other channel is saying he is about the be the #1 caller up in Singapore - never got to call many $200k G1 races in NZ but will be good enough to call $1M Singapore Derby & Cup...go figure! A failure of Trackside management in NZ once again

6 minutes ago, Booby Bec said:

I thought he was just ok, but should have been doing the premier days in the cd.  Give me tony lee, Mark Mac and Matty Cross any day

Dead right , he was just ok, these overseas callers are average at best, every time a big race come up in the cd , simons bullied him off the microphone , he doesnt do that to tony lee, and why would he, hes one of our worst broadcasters if you like, woods still wouldnt fit in here ,the tab run all this stuff, as ive said,they employ clowns, woods deserves more respect

3 hours ago, Trump said:

It's pointless comparing Callers from different era's. Same as it's pointless comparing Champions from different era's. (Eg, Sunline v Winx). You can only compare with what's around at the current time. If you're the best of your time so be it. In today's modern era, Peter Thompson probably wouldn't win a British Open Golf Title - but the record shows he won 5 - in his time. Same for Race Callers. Some are better than others, some get thru the fields more than others, some will be more eloquent. "One" of The best callers I have heard, was Bill Collins, "The Accurate One". He never relied on the camera to give a result. He always called it in the closest of finishes. He even called "Kingston Town can't win!" and was proven wrong - but that was his opinion during the running and I dare say most people watching agreed at the time - including me ! But there you go, nobody's infallible - not even me :) Give the callers a break. 

sorry mate, cant give callers a break, its a job they choose, if you took your car in to get fixed and it came home worse , you wouldnt go back, same as callers , they are there to do a job, they play on our minds in the car radio , if they get it wrong , its time , there are good callers, they deserve a pat on the back, but for our bad ones, they get what they deserve

4 hours ago, Shad said:

Must make a mention of jason teaz, i quite like his calls, and his summary of how the race panned out.

totally agree,he is very good, tab havnt been kind to him but, they moved on him to cd, back south, all for the tony lee move, which in my view hasnt worked out this time,, good on you for that, id sayhe and cross are the future of calling everywhere, both can do almost anything, and not bad on the tips too, they having racing and punting brains, which helps, these tipsters in the north are giving us multis, quady tips place bets, all day long, if you have taken nottice, none of them have any clues,all sorts of money for 100% , in the old days they would quote 105 stuff, invited the small punter to have a go, now its $200 in a selection.

5 minutes ago, brett said:

totally agree,he is very good, tab havnt been kind to him but, they moved on him to cd, back south, all for the tony lee move, which in my view hasnt worked out this time,, good on you for that, id sayhe and cross are the future of calling everywhere, both can do almost anything, and not bad on the tips too, they having racing and punting brains, which helps, these tipsters in the north are giving us multis, quady tips place bets, all day long, if you have taken nottice, none of them have any clues,all sorts of money for 100% , in the old days they would quote 105 stuff, invited the small punter to have a go, now its $200 in a selection.

brett you are a loser. 

Thanks for the message you posted to my page also - here’s a copy so others can read it:

ive been watching your stuff for years, i couldnt hold back any loger, you need a change in employment mr big stuff, maybe back to the waikato times, this is not for you, sorry for the spelling , some of us not as good as you

What a winner you are brett

15 minutes ago, crustyngrizzly said:

T Lee is yesterdays man,something i alluded to when everybody was calling him NZ Racings saviour,when it was first reported that he was returning.

Typical NZ Racing,going back to the future.

Agree

3 hours ago, brett said:

tottally agree with your comments on tony lee, he was our prem caller,but doesnt have the same zip as previously, its not a matter of being a good guy,he is, that is accademic, callers are playing with publics money if you like, and tony has lost his way abit, having said that hes still better than most in our country , we are not in a position up north to be fussy, white , simons,are hopeless to be fair, lucky we mc namara in the south, hes such a great caller, probably do the dogs if he could, broadcasting  you either can or you cant, no inbetweens, ive just finished writing a book on our very best and worst race broadcasters, some who are still calling are not going to be happy, some who are no longer with us arnt going to no, its easy to say that peter was world class, and our very best ever.

Gee, I hope you have taken a bit more care with your spelling and grammar in the book than you do on here.

1 minute ago, MrBigStuff said:

brett you are a loser. 

Thanks for the message you posted to my page also - here’s a copy so others can read it:

ive been watching your stuff for years, i couldnt hold back any loger, you need a change in employment mr big stuff, maybe back to the waikato times, this is not for you, sorry for the spelling , some of us not as good as you

What a winner you are brett

you might want to listen to the listeners and viewer, if it was just me you might say i got it wrong, but its day after day, others are very simular, i watched you from day one, you no as well as me you winged it, sorry but you ara others around you are annoying those who listen to yous, us punters are the ones who are fooled.

5 minutes ago, brett said:

you might want to listen to the listeners and viewer, if it was just me you might say i got it wrong, but its day after day, others are very simular, i watched you from day one, you no as well as me you winged it, sorry but you ara others around you are annoying those who listen to yous, us punters are the ones who are fooled.

Geez Brett, if you want people to take some notice of you, or at least treat your comments with some respect, make some effort to write lucidly.

8 hours ago, kdt said:

I’d have to agree have been thinking the same recently. Another example was on the first day when Tony missed Bring to the Block as it was looking for a run up the whole straight  and finally dashed up the inside for a good win .Didnt call it till after the line .Like you say it’s not a commentator beat up just an observation.For mine I think Matt Cross has so much potential and I like Bruce Sherwins analytic thoughts pre-race and calls.

On 1/25/2015 at 1:36 PM, Mardy said:

Yea Mark Mc get's my pick no doubt about that.And the best up and coming caller would definitely have to be Matt Cross,he's coming on in leaps and bounds and is a very good replacement for Mark Mc.And my commentator of the past would have to be Reon Murtha....I am in my late 30s but I never really heard Peter Kelly commentate,but have heard from others that he was classy at what he did.

Yes, Peter was the best.

On ‎01‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 2:31 PM, brett said:

Don't think I'll be buying your book Brett if the above sentence is a forerunner to your work. :blink: