RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Cubes

Best Racecaller in New Zealand

Hmmm...Cubes wonders

Not one of those things that is really quantifiable

Matter of opinion Cubes guesses .

However Mark McNamara gets our vote .

Regular readers of Cubes rambling postings will say we are just South Island biased .

Maybe....but not in this case .

Having heard the Trentham man today do well ,but get lost for words on a few occasions ,we think consistently Mr McNamara has the edge .

.... says Cubes is just south island biased.... :)

But ...  I actually have no faves... they all annoy me at various times.. but I do think they should just do their areas so the regular race goers on course know who they are and in turn they get to know the regular horses that race in Nthn, CD, South, Deep Sth etc  .. as then they can offer decent advice on selections and know the colours   :)

I think Mark is clearly the best going round. Distance second.

I enjoy George but he has his moments. The mention of Dave compels me to say that while I also enjoy him, he gets lost at the finish regularly and stops calling.

Aaron gets too interested in the horse he has selected for my liking.

Tom Woods has really come on and I like his style.

The new fella down here (his name escapes me) - called trots at Marlborough on Friday - has heaps of potential.

With choosing not to pay for Trackside my requirements for a good announcer are to be clear and concise and on the whole most of them are.

The one thing i would say is that i can see no benifit to bringing George Simon to call at Pemier meetings in fact his call of LETS BRING IT ON every couple of weeks leaves me feeling like LETS TURN IT OFF.

That boxing catch cry of LETS GET READY TO RUMBLE was tremendous and not heard every couple of weeks.

George is my top pik but if it also in includes days gone by reg clapp would have to be my all time favourite

Not only was Reg a great caller but  a  great bloke -  that unforgettable  booming voice.  As an aside,  he would talk on phone in that same  voice he used for calling races, just as loud. When you answered the phone he didn't  ever have to say who was on other end !.   One of those all to rare " characters "  in life, a real  legend. 

With no Tony Lee , it's easily Mark Mcnamara...but here's a question, i wonder if he threw hi hat into tthe ring to rreplace the recently departed Matt Hill from Sky Racing in Sydney...Mcnamara is a sydney boy, im sure he would love to head back and be skys premier caller

chelseacol the young fella is Matt Cross.HUGE POTENTIAL.By the way Chelsea 2 Bradford 4.Chelsea fans on suicide watch!

Liverpool fans woke up this morning, checked the overnight scores, and thought the FA Cup was looking very promising.

Then they watched the Bolton game .....

Yea Mark Mc get's my pick no doubt about that.And the best up and coming caller would definitely have to be Matt Cross,he's coming on in leaps and bounds and is a very good replacement for Mark Mc.And my commentator of the past would have to be Reon Murtha....I am in my late 30s but I never really heard Peter Kelly commentate,but have heard from others that he was classy at what he did.

Those that were lucky enough to have been around in the Reg Clapp/Peter Kelly era were spoilt by the class of caller and the class of horse, back then only open class horses won open handicaps and rating 75/85s wouldn't have made the field, but I digress. :)

As for now I would say Mark Mac easy.

I just like George,...character to go with it, shares in horses,

..."Go you good thing!"...Cuzzie on the Gee-tar...Beauty!

Peter Kelly..."this time" and Keith Haub...(Mcginty Fame)...

Rate as my all time favourites...

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1300&dat=19831019&id=eB9VAAAAIBAJ&sjid=V5QDAAAAIBAJ&pg=3290,1040742

I am surprised at the lack of recognition accorded Reon Murtha in this thread.

He was an excellent commentator and my favourite caller from the immediate yesteryear.

Age wearies all commentators but, like boxers, they tend to stay beyond their days of excellence. This makes it hard to objectively rate callers in hindsight.

All the best.

Ashoka

With no Tony Lee , it's easily Mark Mcnamara...but here's a question, i wonder if he threw hi hat into tthe ring to rreplace the recently departed Matt Hill from Sky Racing in Sydney...Mcnamara is a sydney boy, im sure he would love to head back and be skys premier caller

pretty sure mark has just purchased a new property in chch so looks like he is here to stay which is awesome.

I am surprised at the lack of recognition accorded Reon Murtha in this thread.

He was an excellent commentator and my favourite caller from the immediate yesteryear.

Age wearies all commentators but, like boxers, they tend to stay beyond their days of excellence. This makes it hard to objectively rate callers in hindsight.

All the best.

Ashoka

Agree Ashoka - Reon an absolute legend and for me is still the best.

Listening to his commentaries on the radio are what got me hooked ! As a young lad I got to sit in the commentary box at Riccarton with him middle day of the Cup Carnival. I can still remember the thrill of it all these years later. 

george simon id say would be are worst, followed by arron white, white spends most of the time during calls using nic names , such as the magic man, sorry mr white, mckendry no magic man, simons right on the lolly,,no one in this country come cloer to mark mc, hes the total pro, and very good at it,, going to the trots has never been the same since reon murtha finished,his calls were exciting, from a maiden in reefton to the nz cup, clarkson and murtha were a day out, now, the very very best ever caller in this country as non other than peter kelly,and our very very worst ever caller was a bloke called dan myers from the naki, he was dreadful, sorry to the far south , but dave mcdonald tips half the feild, either dogs or trots,they are all going to win ahe dave. can call a race though,

So in a nut shell , mark, right now you are miles adead of anyone here, hope we dont loose, the tab would be silly enough to fly simons down on a day to day basis, thats the day i stay off the air,

Brett

5 minutes ago, Shad said:

Must make a mention of jason teaz, i quite like his calls, and his summary of how the race panned out.

he is a fery good tipster, but his calls are coming from his pocket, must be a punter, didnt think these guys were aloud to punt while working, thats why i love mark,hes fantastic in all ways