RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tatura

Fireworks Display Auckland Racing Club

funniest thread ever

i reckon they should strap a few double bungers or sky rockets to the kiwi two year olds, they may break 48 for 800

or a few catherine wheels strapped to your hurdlers

seriously this is a fantastic marketing ploy, asians love fireworks as much as they love chop suey and there will be plenty in your neck of the woods for the sales why not entice them to the track.

if this doesn't draw a crowd why not try a roller derby in the bird cage between races.

guy fawkes day at waikikafatkau races :lol: priceless !

Just to try and balance up the naysayers and the they 'should er s' the horse barn is way over behind the public stand and the trucks further back again. T.he stuff will be going up in front

I say, why not finish your day with a BANG!

So there is no way the fireworks display will upset any horses?

Just to try and balance up the naysayers and the they 'should er s' the horse barn is way over behind the public stand and the trucks further back again. T.he stuff will be going up in front

Twilight racing is fine, it was never a NZ initiative it was copied from o'seas, why the round of applause?

I don't believe the fireworks display has the best interests of the key players in racing at heart and thats the horses . Heaven forbid if your horse doesn't swab quickly after the last.

Over a million in stakes up and last year Oncourse $424k off course $1.6m , in a city with over a million people, a captive audience from the sales, one of the best facilities in the country not to mention a racing club with full time staff etc and you're happy with that? 

It's the prevailing attitude that the horse and racing itself will never be able to attract patrons to the course that is the problem.

Initiative after initiative after initiative has been tried by the same crowd for years its doing nothing positive for the longevity or interest in the sport , fix the product and they will come! 

Tell us the fix Huey.

No way !

That's why you have these initiative instigators youre so pleased with, they have copied enough without someone else giving them a leg up.

I am not that fussed about it either way Huey, but its a hell of a lot better than the solution you are putting up, which is Zilch.

Everyone loves the crtiic who can provide such 20;20 judgement Huey without ever having to put into practice any idea of their own - that way you know you can never be wrong!

Thankfully I have punting to do so won't contribute too much more here but your argument that as Auckland has a population of a miilion then the betting and attendance figures should be far better is the utterance of a desperate person.

If that conclusion is taken logically then every event ever held in Auckland, every shop that ever opens its doors for business and every activity undertaken should have a million people in attendance. Why - because you say the people are there so they must attend.

Why don't you just say there are 5 million in NZ and they should attend as well - not far to go to get anywhere in NZ is it??

Obviously some of us live in a more realistic world that sees the numbers at this meeting as very good and the turnover achieved as being extremely positive given it is only 6 races and 95% of meetings in NZ with 8-10 races can't match it.

And before you trot out the whole stakes paid versus betting done fallacy again- the logic of your argument there is that if every race has to cover its stakes through turnover to justify the level of prizemoney on offer the answer is quite simple - reduce the stakes to a level where they do. That will certainly entice people to attend, trainers to nominate and race, etc, etc. - what an appealing downward spiral that will achieve and hasten further the movement of our breeding stock to more lucrative pastures and the demise of domestic racing.

Have a few bets yourself today son - you might back a winner and feel better about the world.

PS I never said Twilight racing was pioneered by Ellerslie - actually it was borrowed lock stock and barrel (what a top film that is as an aside) by young Weaver from what he had seen in Britain - kinda like most of the good ideas in this part of the world come from overseas.

By your response in previous posts, copying ideas is a bad thing - tell that to Pepsi, IBM etc. etc. etc.

I'm not going to trot out anything about stakes and I'm not going to argue with an Ellerslie apologist absolutely pointless youre never wrong and have a book of excuses twice the size of the bible! 

I have no problem with an initiative that is well thought out and is actually an initiative , this is simply plagirising ...again! and as I have stated it ridicules the involvement of the horse and potentially its welfare.

best of luck punting a tough day so far.

And the "future" of racing reads those rags? Focus on looking after the captive audience you have and they will foster the recruitment--a bit like return business in bars and restaurants. Piss them off and they are gone forever.

Yes Chevy they do, regularly read by the Remuera, Parnell well heeled as well.

Suburban newspapers have always been a worthwhile read & are a great source of what's going on in the community.

Look at how many attended the December Mad Butcher days at Ellerslie that were always promoted through there.

Then there's Round the Bays run/ walk etc & other events that thrive as a result of the publicity Suburban newspapers give them.

What if any horses from a distance away have to stay on course before they leave the next day? Just total dis respect for the participants in the industry. Fireworks are already enough trouble during November/December without having them at the racetrack.

Whats next drag racing and burnouts in between races? - so you can get a few more people who aren't interested in racing on course to buy a can of coke and some chips. 

Fix the product and they will come!

Huey, you have raised a very relevant point in regards to horses been stabled overnight.

There are a number of trainers & staff that will be in Auckland overnight because it is the Karaka sales the next day.

Why should they have to find alternative places for them to stay, especially if they themselves are staying at motels in the vicinity as no doubt many will be.

Long gone sadly & unfortunately of leaving a horse tied up at the side of the road like we once used to have well the rider/ owner went off to the pub or sly grog house in the 1960's due to 6pm closing time...

Horses can & will still get spooked even if over the back.

The noise from fireworks even in the city can & does carry over a considerable distance.

It's not only horses either, people's pets & children get frightened from them as well.

We however sit on the fence with them either way.

Just saying..

Blind Squirrel, it's a known fact that cricket & rugby stands are often known to lack people in the stands.

They are also known to have ruffigans attending throwing missiles, including vomit,& hurtling abuse at other patrons.

Thankfully our Racing industry generally doesn't attract those types with the exception of major racedays when they tend to drink more than they can handle.

Most unfortunately it's these types of people that have stuffed it up for the racing industry & other events with Liquor Licensing regulations now to.

Such a shame as there's nothing like a great day at the races with friends, family & others & a good feed with a drink or two brought onto the course that one may have arranged themselves so they can spend their monies how they want.

Come on lets be sensible. The last race is 7.55pm and the horses will be well gone before the fireworks start a couple of ours later.

The trainers and staff have to work on Monday and the Karaka Sales start then. I would be very surprised if outside trainers would leave a horse there after the races. They will be boarded out and I know Stick has at least one at his place.

Anyway I doubt iy you would get much noise transference back to the barn. The Southern Motorway has constant noise that never stops very close by that will mask a lot the sound.

I also don't think the ARC will leave themselves open to an 'incident'

Fireworks does seem an odd initiative so long after the races have finished but I hope they get some folk hanging around to enjoy them as they are not cheap and they certainly are noisy - they may also just get folk parking up outside the gates and nearby to watch them and not go to the races at all - I remember when they used to hold the fireworks night at Trentham racecourse in November and the noise used to reverberate off the stands and man was it loud and it caused a lot of vibrations through the ground and seating.

My interest today in the meeting stems mainly from having some beaut Aussie jocks here riding and also VS'n'B :) , so we are going to open up all the doors to outside, fire up some sausies and steak, have some cold wine on the go, have the big screen going, with some music on, and watch it all from the comfort of the living room and enjoy some great overseas racing inbetween.

Brown Fox, that's priceless dear one.

Remmers bound to be away on there boats or at the beach baby ;)

Fireworks have been reliably heard as far away as Auckland Domain and Auckland hospital.

Weaver be happy chappy if he still lives in that area..that's of course if he's not at Ellerslie watching them live as they explode.

Incidentally, how much has it cost the club to arrange & have fireworks display?

The money has to come from somewhere.

Really good crowd there today. We left after the last race and the hospo areas were full and jumping. The booze sales will be stella.

Vstb second rated his opposition, we saw top horses like Silent Achiever and Rising Romance have a good hit out.

We saw some wildly excited Ozzies and a very chuffed Mark Chitty too.

Yes the track has seen a lot of wear and the inner was off but congrats to CG and Butch for a fun few hours. 

Racing is about positivity and thats infectious

Agreed Nebula, fabulous night and really highlights how damn good 6 quick races in the evening can be.

Not many left after the last, with the music and fireworks an extra treat.

The chicks wandering around were almost as good to watch as the races.

Don't want to sound like a party pooper but isn't having a fireworks display abit strange for our industry as many of us want them banned due to the carnage we see to our animals each year?On the plus side what a great nights racing and brilliant coverage after race with Trackside and the drone

Did Ellerslie have to get a permit to have there Fireworks as it's outside of the restricted season to have them?

Why don't you contact C George and ask him this silly question (09) 5248680 or e-mail racing@ellerslie.co.nz and then come back and beat them up if you have a reason to.

And then you can lay a complaint with the Police, DIA, SPCA and wussel norman.

Cmon, Meomy dear, you can do far better than this in 2015.

Agreed Nebula, fabulous night and really highlights how damn good 6 quick races in the evening can be.

Not many left after the last, with the music and fireworks an extra treat.

The chicks wandering around were almost as good to watch as the races.

Really good crowd there today. We left after the last race and the hospo areas were full and jumping. The booze sales will be stella.

Vstb second rated his opposition, we saw top horses like Silent Achiever and Rising Romance have a good hit out.

We saw some wildly excited Ozzies and a very chuffed Mark Chitty too.

Yes the track has seen a lot of wear and the inner was off but congrats to CG and Butch for a fun few hours. 

Racing is about positivity and thats infectious

Missed the lot....

..Good Horses,.Fireworks ,chicks n all...sounded like a good night.

Bring the cup back to New Years Day, and I might consider Ellerslie.

Are all patrons being catered for?...we all attend meetings, with different company

at times, are all budgets,dress requirements and entertainment catered for?.

Blanket alchohol bans and high entry prices only appeal to those nose in the air types

wishing to keep the riff-raff away.

(Party-goers that create atmosphere on course and turnover),