RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
gubellini

Paul Moroney/David Ellis

Have just had a phone call from a friend who took an acquaintance of his, from Hawkes Bay,out to Te Akau farm a few years back to look at sales purchases,with the intention of getting shares in a number of horses. It was to be his first venture into racing and he decided to go with what he was informed, was the best. To cut a long story short this gentleman,who had a few bob,is no longer involved in racing having lost $500,000. Unfortunately he was involved in a number of duds and sadly wants nothing more to do with racing. At the time of inspecting the various yearlings he chose one where the syndicate was full and was guided into various others. The one he initially chose was Burgundy. What a shame.

:) I think it is easy for folk to generalise when they are referring to the majority.. as in perhaps they had looked at the majority of yearlings and so it became all ... plus looked at (on paper or in person), viewed (in person) and inspected (in person or on paper and checked out in depth)   ..   all have quite different connotations.

On the radio in the weekend Chad Ormsby said that by the time the sales roll around they would have looked at all the yearlings and I presume he was speaking on behalf of Ballymore.

It seems a common turn of phrase and marketing ploy at this time of year for any potential clients that might be listening, to give the impression that if these stables/syndicate managers purchase a yearling that they are planning to syndicate or sell on, it must be the best as they have researched everything else :)

In regard to comment on 2 yrold trainers, most are trying to buy for the Karaka Million race, to me this is a pointless exercise for the most part as only one can win it, Then what? They are not competitive in Australia, only one or two other 2yr old races are worth chasing here and most 2yrolds do not go forward as 3yrolds and beyond (odd exception) . Sell on?

chelseacol

a measured response from Ellis is what one would expect from a very good sales/marketer.

Bruce Sherwin + Guy Mulcaster + Raffles Racing + Pike Stables = Very Notable Success at 2, 3 years and above over all distances.

Now, if the above combo decided to branch out their operations and syndicate, then that would put NZ Racing and breeding on the World map - their results speak for themselves.  Sadly, outside of the domestic self interests, no one really cares about "NZ titles or success"

I heard Tony Pike interviewed by Des Coppins last Monday following the sensational win of Sacred Star. Tony said that he was going to buy two or three yearlings this year at Karaka to syndicate if people are interested, so Des gave out his mobile number. I jotted it down as I certainly am. Here it is for anyone else that is keen. 027 287 3002.

Guest 2Admin2

Interesting a few years ago peter mckay was the one to follow.

Interesting a few years ago peter mckay was the one to follow.

For two year olds' mainly.

Having said that, the three year olds' then kicked in, such as Alamosa and Puccini. 

Actually I predict that Puccini will show them once again [on Saturday] just how good a horse, trainer and breeder the team really are. 

Just my view! Liz

For two year olds' mainly.

Having said that, the three year olds' then kicked in, such as Alamosa and Puccini. 

Actually I predict that Puccini will show them once again [on Saturday] just how good a horse, trainer and breeder the team really are. 

Just my view! Liz

Did anyone take any notice?

2Admin2, I hope that you did!

gubellini, Thank you for your kind comment above.

I note that we are both rated R91 - not quite Grp level!

We will just have to try and get our ratings up to the level of some of the stars of this week such as Sacred Star [Pike] and Puccini [McKay].

What do you say?

2admin2. Can you help us out?

Wasn't this post about the PM/DE spat Insider ?

Ivan The Terrible, it certainly was, but then it evolved into other people who also have an excellent record choosing yearlings so I then got involved.

Personally I couldn't see any advantage in publicly taking sides with either Paul or David on this forum hence the direction I took although I do have an opinion on who is the better judge.