RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eminent racing

Auckland Cup

18 C4 dogs nominated that didn't get a run according to moany on kiwidogz. What a joke. Very very disappointing.

Would be a shame if some of these c4 dog's that missed a chance at a start are some good young up and comers that are possibly better than some that made the heats. I said awhile ago when they changed the downgrading rule it was going to result in an abundance of c4 dog's, this was in defence to everyone saying there would be an over flow of c1 dog's. 

It begs the question of why any club would restrict any high profile race to class 4 and 5 dogs ? If was advertised as to a set number of heats and open to all classes then there would be more nominations and thus more heats. better result all round.

I don't tend to agree with you on this one. I can recall not that long ago when the rule was that every dog that nominated had to get a start in some of these big races, the fields were woeful to say the least, there was c2 dog's running against c5 dogs, there was multiple heats with only 6 runners so they could accommodate all the nom's and at the end of the day it was a 95 percent win rate to the higher graded dog's in each heat everytime. Lets not forget there is only a few exceptions running around today that given a chance they could more than likely foot it with the c5 dog's but it's only 1 or 2 of them, Winsome Jenny being one of them. I think the problem potentially lies with what Yankiwi stated in regards to the new downgrade rule coming into affect and leaving a big gap in the number of quality c5 dog's going around, this is where some forward thinking was needed prior to implementing the new rule to plan for this outcome........

Forward thinking + NZGRA = YEA RIGHT

I said awhile ago when they changed the downgrading rule it was going to result in an abundance of c4 dog's, this was in defence to everyone saying there would be an over flow of c1 dog's. 

I'm in the C1 over flow camp on this issue.

Dogs running 4th & 5th in the top grade will drop down to C4 quicker.

In C4 they'll be racing against other drop downs, dogs whose actual ability grade is C4 and to a lesser extent dogs coming up from C3. The drop downs are more likely to fill a top 3 finish so the dogs that were running at least a 3rd every four starts now will only have 3 starts to do so and it will be against even "better" dogs. More C4 dogs will drop to C3, to be followed by the snowball effect all the way down to C1.

C5 fields will become rarer while we'll see C4/5 fields on the increase, and in many cases, we'll see the C5 dogs racing against the top C4 dogs, which were probably in C5 before the changes.

We already had C1 meets at Addington prior to the rule change (Tuesdays generally). Beyond that they also hold a "low grade" and a "high grade" meeting each week. With more dogs in C1, when will they get their starts? Will the high grade meet start with C1's in a months time, similar to what's been happening in Wanganui on Friday nights?

It's the same every year with the auckland cup. Good dogs being left out and only average heats. Bunyanrra is right in what he says. It's a joke good c4 dogs are left out. It's nothing to do with the new downgrade rule. If there's not going to be a national selection criteria there at least needs to be a national group race criteria. If this group 1 was to be at a different track there would be different feilds which is just a complete joke. These are not c5 races they are group races. There should be a certain number of heats called for and filled from c5 down till these feilds are full. Not just make it up as we go. Funny how when these trainers didn't go to wanganui for a 20k race it was because of the track, when they don't come for an 80k race at auckland it's because they don't have the dog

Slim, I think the races you refer to were NZ Bred series and some were lop sided and that was addressed. This is a different story.......we're talking about Group races. It's just commonsense and it shouldn't happen the way it has. If they advertise say six heats of any grade and grade from C5 down they would ensure there are six to eight heats and thus three to four semis into the final. The idea premise of a three week series is that the cream generally rises to the top the longer a series goes.

Under the current format they might as well skip the semis and just run four heats and have the first two go straight into the final. Everyone knows that it's not easy getting C5 races over a middle distances most weeks so where are these magical numbers of C5 dogs going to come from ? 

Whether the drop back rule has made a difference is arguable and in all likelihood wouldn't have affected that many dogs. Personally it was a good move. Just ask anyone with a C5 sprinter who has had one or two unplaced runs how hard it is to get a draw in the North at Cambridge and Auckland. Actually maybe more changes need to be made to the NZ Grading to get with the times.

I going to go against the grain here and disagree with most of you.

Our cup races have always been for C5 dogs and so they should be, they have won their way to the top grade and have deserved the right to be racing for the better prize money.

I think Auckland have done it right in ensuring every C5 nominated has got a deserved start and used the remaining spots for the best form C4's (whether or not they are the best C4's is debatable but that is a club selection criteria and nothing else).

I do agree that the recent change to the downgrade system has thrown a few people and cost dogs starts which would of been C5 only a few weeks ago which must be frustrating to say the least.

I'm not into the whole 'give everyone a start who wants to race in the cup policy' that many have adopted, there have been and always will be dogs that have looked like stars coming through the grades but as soon as they get to C5 they don't find life so easy.

If they want to make it possible for lower graded dogs to get in why not race some prelude races earlier in the season that will guarantee a start in the heats or semi's like they do for the Melbourne Cup?

I going to go against the grain here and disagree with most of you.

Our cup races have always been for C5 dogs and so they should be, they have won their way to the top grade and have deserved the right to be racing for the better prize money.

I think Auckland have done it right in ensuring every C5 nominated has got a deserved start and used the remaining spots for the best form C4's (whether or not they are the best C4's is debatable but that is a club selection criteria and nothing else).

I do agree that the recent change to the downgrade system has thrown a few people and cost dogs starts which would of been C5 only a few weeks ago which must be frustrating to say the least.

I'm not into the whole 'give everyone a start who wants to race in the cup policy' that many have adopted, there have been and always will be dogs that have looked like stars coming through the grades but as soon as they get to C5 they don't find life so easy.

If they want to make it possible for lower graded dogs to get in why not race some prelude races earlier in the season that will guarantee a start in the heats or semi's like they do for the Melbourne Cup?

Yeah but I'd want the best dogs there regardless and if they haven't had the chance to make it to c5 yet....

You know the criteria for getting into the Auckland Cup. For those that don't, its for C5 Greyhounds. The Auckland Club have every right to set the conditions.  Its up to the trainers to prepare their dogs accordingly. If that means missing races so as not to downgrade to C4, then thats what they have to do. This is a serious race for serious money. Only those qualified need nominate. Class 4's need to take their chances on wether they make the cut.  Anything less than C4 shouldn't be considered no mater what their percieved ability. The race is not an invitation, and any dogs less than C4 only demeans the quality and prestige of the race, and is grossly unfair on the C5 dogs.  This is why $80,000 is at stake. I for one fully endorse the Auckland Club, not only in sticking to the conditions, but also the format. Its their race to do as they please.  Just my take on it.

I agree its for c5 dogs that have worked there way up the grade and deserve it not the odd dog that may get to c5. try next year when you may be c5.

as for the down grading rule I also agree don't run your dogs if you are on the verge of down grading, the whole nz system is not going to fall apart for 1 week come on!!!!

maybe if you could win a couple in a grade it will slow the system down and also for the dogs that get a lucky win and then have to wait 3/4 wks to come down to the dogs true grade.

also didn't everyone also moan when they had those all grades race espically when a c1 knocked or balls up a c5 dog in a quali race and so the final didn't have the best dogs in it?

Race 9

Good field,looks like red flashing lights

I'm all over the Aussie on the futures. Anything can happen but more than happy to take the $8 last night! Don't think many of these could break 29.30 at Sandown. Hopefully misses Chopper early on today tho! Small saver on Angvella at $7.5. They look the main 2 players in the series to me.

Small interest bets on Good return at $101 and Tee Kay Yapper in the railway at $41 :)

It is a very sad day when the railway looks like it could be the highlight race of the auck cup meeting

you would have to be kidding, there was some sensational runs today, 1st heat was electric a dog comes from last to first in a nice time, A top dog from Melbourne gets smoked a group1 bitch pings all the way, Crouch makes the cut after fracturing a fibia in his past group1 and is fit and sound, some awesome results for a lot of dogs no one gave a chance, This cup Series is always the best, well done Auckland

Only four heats for the Auckland Cup?

A 3 week series? Why?

So the top 4 from the 4 heats will make up 2 heats for the semi's?

A dog can finish unplaced in a heat and that guarantees advancement?

No Hodgson, no Fahey, no Lane/Wales, no Adcock, Know Cleeve?

No drive to Manukau for me to watch them live.

Very disappointing in my opinion.

Know Cleeve.

Now that is clever.

Yep, great racing.  I like the semis format as it gives the good dogs more chance to make the final.  

I was hundreds down then got 10% of the Royal Runner jackpot first 4 and ended up getting most of it back.

Indi Rhode was one of the biggest upsets in greyhound racing.