RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Racing84

Cambridge Race 3

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the vertically-sliding doors on the back of the boxes were supposed to be closed before the green light is turned on and lure rolls.

I've seen the occasional tail poking out the back, but not sure I've ever seen a door more than half open when the race begins.  I haven't seen a replay from Cambridge Race 3 today but from first glance it appeared the starter wasn't quite sure what to do - taking a look at the box, and then a look toward the handler who had already walked away - too late, lure already on the way.

Again, without seeing a replay, it appeared to be Box 6.  Dog 6 took a flyer and cleared the field before hanging on for 2nd.

Did anyone else notice?  Surely this isn't allowed?  Not sure if any advantage was gained but looked very odd.

I was thinking the same thing when I watched the race. Very strange, I wonder what the report will be on this.

"The door to the box 6 in this race was not properly closed due to it sticking with the lure already on its way the Starter did not try to stop the start .The problem was minor and rectified before the next 375 m race. The Stewards reviewed the start in their opinion ROTOVEGAS SPARKY was unaffected being first away in to an early lead finishing in 2nd placing at the line. "

"The door to the box 6 in this race was not properly closed due to it sticking with the lure already on its way the Starter did not try to stop the start .The problem was minor and rectified before the next 375 m race. The Stewards reviewed the start in their opinion ROTOVEGAS SPARKY was unaffected being first away in to an early lead finishing in 2nd placing at the line. "

Thank you for the information.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the "all is well that ends well" argument. A couple of points:

(1) The starter surely made a mistake by turning the light to green before all of the doors were closed which shouldn't be allowed to happen. Imagine if the dog had backed its way out and started pursuing the lure - what a mess. This isn't mentioned (although admittedly I haven't read the full report, just what has been posted above).

(2) The wording of the report suggests that had the dog been slow to begin, it could have potentially been deemed a late scratching if it were affected by it. Had the dog been slow to begin, what would have happened? How could it be judged whether it had been disadvantaged? Clearly no consideration given (at least none noted) as to whether the dog actually benefitted from it (not sure how it could, but should at least have been considered).

In my opinion the stipes reports often fail to provide enough information for punters to have confidence going forward.

If anything, it would have affected the dog negatively, the lids were sitting on his hind legs and thats why he couldnt get the boxes down

This differs to the boxes sticking as noted in the Stipes report above. Not trying to be argumentative or confrontational - but can you please advise where your facts on this came from?

From what i saw, it looked like he couldnt get the lids down beneath the dogs hocks which were out just a tad

WHAT? If that's the case then as stated earlier then the starter should never have given the green light to go. If someone cant box a dog properly to ensure it's hind legs are not jammed against the lid then quite frankly its time for them to retire, I hope it's on the box first list for it's next start. If this was my dog I would never of walked away from the boxes until I was satisfied my dog was properly boxed away and given every chance of going the best race they could. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone I know because i have no idea whose dog or what dog it was because I haven't looked at results.

Like i said, im just going of what i thought i had seen, I hardly think this is a major problem in the sport right now.

Things like this make the sport look unprofessional and bring the integrity of the sport into question. It's an attitude of "who cares" which allows standards to slip.

I would have thought the traps being closed (front and back) is pretty fundamental and therefore highly important.

Could it have been an advantage to the dog, making the lure easier to hear as it neared from behind?

I know it's a lot easier to hear the road traffic when the house windows are partially open.

If it were my decision to make, I would have declared it a non-starter for what it's worth.

Could it have been an advantage to the dog, making the lure easier to hear as it neared from behind?

I know it's a lot easier to hear the road traffic when the house windows are partially open.

If it were my decision to make, I would have declared it a non-starter for what it's worth.

Me too, and I'd have fined the starter.

It's like the handlers banging on the backs of the lids which has been happening more and more recently, something which is not supposed to,be allowed, but you are right Racing 84 in that the people in charge of the meeting are continually adopting this 'who cares' attitude and people are making the most of it.

The Starter had noticed the back of Box 6 wasn't closed properly & turned & said to the handler that the door needs to be closed fully. The green light had never been switched on for the race to start before the lure started to move.

The starter contacted the stipe over the radio after the race informing him that he will pop up & see him when he could about the matter as it was not something to put over the radio. The starter went up & saw the stipe a couple of races latter & informed the stipe about the matter.

The Starter had noticed the back of Box 6 wasn't closed properly & turned & said to the handler that the door needs to be closed fully. The green light had never been switched on for the race to start before the lure started to move.

The starter contacted the stipe over the radio after the race informing him that he will pop up & see him when he could about the matter as it was not something to put over the radio. The starter went up & saw the stipe a couple of races latter & informed the stipe about the matter.

Thanks for this information.  I've obviously been a bit harsh on the starter here, sounds like it was the lure driver who went off early.

I have to question the timing though of the stipe and the starter discussing the matter.  Surely in fairness to the punter this should have occurred before the "all clear" to pay was given on the race.  

The actions of stipes around the country continues to astound me.

Given the circumstances of the lure running before all the boxes were closed, it should have been declared a No Race in my opinion.

Mate, you are utterly insane, you folk could turn nothing into something, I fail to understand why this should even br a topic, it happens from time to time

Yeeeah lets just accept mediocrity because it happens from time to time, just like all our tracks are safe, local turnover is thriving, animal welfare isn't a problem in our industry, the RIU and stipes are all fully competent....

Right?

I have to question the timing though of the stipe and the starter discussing the matter.  Surely in fairness to the punter this should have occurred before the "all clear" to pay was given on the race.  

The timing on the stipe & the starter discussing the matter was due to the fact that it was a very hot day & the starter had to water the mats, runway (coming of the mats for the first 3 meters) & the pad behind the boxes after every race because it was drying out to fast & the pad behind the boxes was hot on the pads of the dogs. With the sort gaps it also made it hard to get up see the stipe before hand about it.

The timing on the stipe & the starter discussing the matter was due to the fact that it was a very hot day & the starter had to water the mats, runway (coming of the mats for the first 3 meters) & the pad behind the boxes after every race because it was drying out to fast & the pad behind the boxes was hot on the pads of the dogs. With the sort gaps it also made it hard to get up see the stipe before hand about it.

I do appreciate that White Ranger and I also appreciate you coming on here and providing the information you have.

I'm rather surprised however that the Stipe allowed the race to be given the "all clear" before this discussion took place.

"The door to the box 6 in this race was not properly closed due to it sticking with the lure already on its way the Starter did not try to stop the start .The problem was minor and rectified before the next 375 m race. The Stewards reviewed the start in their opinion ROTOVEGAS SPARKY was unaffected being first away in to an early lead finishing in 2nd placing at the line."

76.1 Should there be an occurrence of any human intervention, mechanical or other defect which has the effect of preventing a Race from being completed or there are other circumstances arising which warrant such action being taken, the Stewards may declare the Race to be a  False Start or a No Race.

In my opinion, how could a dog be "unaffected" when there is a very good possibility that it could hear the lure approach much better that the other seven dogs?

By jumping well it could be debated it wasn't "negatively effected", but was "positively effected"  even considered?

"The door to the box 6 in this race was not properly closed due to it sticking with the lure already on its way the Starter did not try to stop the start .The problem was minor and rectified before the next 375 m race. The Stewards reviewed the start in their opinion ROTOVEGAS SPARKY was unaffected being first away in to an early lead finishing in 2nd placing at the line." 

76.3 Where the Stewards declare, or are considering whether to declare, a Race to be a False Start or No Race, they shall cause a warning signal to be given and an announcement to be made over the public broadcast system. 

I was at the track yesterday and heard no warning signal or announcement, therefore I can only believe that the race had never even been considered to be a false start or no race, if proper procedure was followed.