RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
eljay

Trottech

Another top effort by the team

Race 7 [3:42pm] MLT/PIONEER TAVERN MOBILE PACE  $5000, C0 WITH COND., 2400m    Front Line Limit

For C0 4 yrs & older pacers with earnings up to and including $750 in the last 4 starts with 2 or more starts for lifetime.

5 590739 Combien  C0 Draw: 5 Hdcp: Front Driver: Robin Swain Maurice Kerr, Gore Colours

Colours: Dark Blue, Pink Braces & Sleeves
Comment: Long time trier claims a couple of tidy efforts at this venue. Spice for combos.
Breeding: 5 b m    Sutter Hanover-Fleet(by Stand Together)
Breeder: R K Crawford, Mrs M J Crawford
Owners: R K Crawford, Mrs M J Crawford

Statistics:
Starts: 26 Wins: 0() Secs: 0 Thirds: 2 Life: $3,354 ($1,684) Win: $0 Win Div: $0.00 Plc Div: $0.75

Starts Wins Placings   Starts Wins Placings
All Weather 23 0 2 All Weather Slushy 1 0 0 
Grass 3 0 0 Grass Wet 1 0 0 
Course 3 0 0 Distance 7 0 0 
Favourite 0 0 0 2nd Favourite 0 0 0 
Mobile 26 0 2 Standing 0 0 0 
Left 26 0 2 Right 0 0 0 
Fresh90 2 0 0 Fresh30 0 0 0 
  Show Stipes 

Read comments then course stats!!

And what exactly is the point you guys are trying to make?

Mr Trottech notes that Combien has put in "a couple of tidy efforts" at Wyndham (a fifth and a sixth there qualify, I would've thought). And he suggests she'd be worth throwing into trifectas and first fours.

Seems a pretty reasonable line to me.

And guess what?

Combien finishes fourth. The first four (with three favourites) pays $1900-odd.

Mr Trottech clearly knows his onions. You should be complimenting him rather than bagging him.

Course is Wyndham -- not Invercargill Eljay. And combos, to me, don't mean quaddies or trebles. They mean trifectas and first fours. Mr Trottech wasn't labeling the horse. He was just saying it was a rough chance. And he was right. 

Would make better glue than a racehorse I would have thought.

Obviously someone is enjoying the ride or is that non-ride.

whoa that's a bit rough globe... they bred and own the horse, obviously it means a lot to them.   We can't all own and breed champions Globe but you wouldn't have races if there weren't horses to make up the fields and people like the Crawfords who participate in racing because they love it, are a gold mine in NZ racing, if we had more of them we'd be in a better state I think.   Just sayin :)

Course is Wyndham -- not Invercargill Eljay. And combos, to me, don't mean quaddies or trebles. They mean trifectas and first fours. Mr Trottech wasn't labeling the horse. He was just saying it was a rough chance. And he was right. 

I'm a First4 punter and horses that keep on trying are a bonus to add into multiples in a race.  I've picked up a few good divvies with a decent 4th placegetter added in to spice the payback.

I think you think about it too much Col and probably want to box 7 or 8 horses for a first 4 :P.. but me, I do it for fun.. I select who I think will finish where.   You have an inkling who will fill the first two places... then you have third.. and could have a swamper that does have previous street cred of swamping late :) so include the first placegetters, but generally it's those that run on who fill the spots.. and fourth.. now that is for the battlers that have some connection with the track or have run better in other fields of better quality but never placed. :)

Who will run third in trifecta's and fourth in the first four bugged me for years. Part of my problem was ego. Part was common sense. Part was greed.

I would spend hours going over the field and usually got it down to two horses. The one I felt confident would win and the horse I considered it's biggest danger. I would bet my main fancy and save on the danger runner. 

When it came to sorting out third in my usual $20 % trifecta I would put a line through the horses I considered no chance even if that meant just leaving out one runner. My logic said leave it out and increase the % on the realistic chances. It also went against the grain to leave out horses that common sense said had no hope. Incredible how many times that one runner I expertly left out got up to spoil my trifecta or pick four.

Eventually I just gave up and hit F for field when looking at third and fourth. The first dozen times or so I did that I started pulling my hair out. The horses that ran third and fourth were common sense well favoured horses. I got a smaller percentage of the collect. Often not even covering my outlay. What made that even more frustrating was seeing the pregnant goats I'd included run exactly how their form showed they would. Tailed off. Then I had one or two of those goats start being in the money. Nice.  Now I just hit F for third or fourth every time. It usually does not pay off but when it does, it generally more than makes up for the previous break even type results. . 

Yep Beer drinking guru - field for fourth how i do it.I tend to cut down on 3rd a bit more than you - but interesting.

My records show I hit plenty of big first 4's with bolters for 4th. Tend to be smaller % but often $10k + divvy (and in Aussie got many in $30K + range).

Not my main bet type but works for me and means i focus more on first 3 and try and get that right.

globederby12...

In my opinion, your comment is nasty, ugly and unwarranted.

Chestnut has politely put the matter in perspective and I agree with his comments.

I hope that this post from you is out of character.

All the best.

Ashoka

Didn't quite mean it to sound so ugly,it was a bit tounge in cheek really.

Having connections in the Thoroughbred side and having seen first hand hobby horses ,the word "glue" has popped up at times relating to lesser equine athletes.

So apologys to all concerned.

Look, I know I should let this go. But I've just noticed that the honest plugger Combien ran into third at Invercargill today (Invercargill, note Eljay, not Wyndham). Paid over $4 for the place, figured in a $2.5k tri and an $11k first four.

Pretty sure the Trottech man noted, again, she was a good outside chance for a place.  

Another top effort by the team. 

Who cares? Get off your own asses and study the form yourselves.

Asses as in donkey's George? Did you have a bad day mate?

Personally I value and appreciate Trottech. It's a great asset for punters and it's free. Perplexing that people complain about it.

I do a lot of study on harness meetings. Spend hours reviewing previous meetings and as many trials I can watch or read about. I'm a great believer in lining the form up against other runners along with the form of a stable and driver. Despite that my research usually has holes in it. Trottech has filled those holes many times.

Those who rubbish the writers of their form are only displaying their own ignorance. You just can't write previews for thousands of horses in hundreds of races unless you know your stuff.

Some of their write ups may hurt the eyes of the thin skinned but I have a different take on it. Steve Davis comes up with loads of gems when presenting. I think a lot of that is as much about stimulating himself as it is entertaining viewers. Same with the writers of form. They express humour along the way which I'm certain is never intended to offend. How does it compare to Isis chopping off the heads of aid workers?

I enjoy people who get off the fence and say decisive things worth listening to. Would you rather have Bill Smith telling the presenter when asked about his runner that "it goes ok and we are hoping for a good run" or Graeme Rogerson saying "this is my best two year old and I think he will go on and win the Golden Slipper"?

One of the worst presenters on Trackside by streets is probably the guy that knows more than the rest of them put together. That is Des Coppins. He is the most boring humourless man on TV anywhere in the world. He never expresses an opinion. Facial expression never changes. Never has a hair out of place. He avoids anything controversial at all costs. Impeccably presented and comes across as a lovely and extremely conservative man but is the personification of "perfunctory". He is like watching wallpaper or a cardboard cut out. Perfect for radio. Diabolical for Television.

I appreciates the whingers would rather Des Coppins did the writes up for Trottech. As long as he never went out on a limb and favoured one horse over another,never expressed any humour,never hurt the feelings of an owner by saying something derogatory and highly offensive (haha) like "will struggle to beat the water truck home" .

Des Coppins type Trottech write up.

1) Jo Blow. $1.65        Should run well but time will tell. 

2) Jo Lunchbox  $3.55  Could run well but time will tell

3) Jo Baldhead   $6      Could run well but time will tell

4) Jo Come lately $9    Could run well but time will tell

5) Jo Jo              $15     Could run well but time will tell

6) Jo and Jo       $21     Could run well but time will tell

7) Jo Jo and Jo Jo  $66   Could run well but time will tell

8) Another Jo         $101  Could run well but time will tell

9) Not Another Jo   $201   Could run well but time will tell

10) Sick Of Jo         $301   Could run well but time will tell

My preview,

1) Jo Blow. $1.65         Dealt to most of these last week. Is better than everything here. Only bad luck beats him  

2) Jo Lunchbox  $3.55    Battles strongly and if fav has any bad luck he's your saver bet.

3) Jo Baldhead   $6         Always there abouts. Will be a surprise to see him win but strong trifecta chance. 

4) Jo Come lately $9       Should be a double this price. Will need all favours to threaten top two.

5) Jo Jo              $15        Hasn't placed for last 12 runs. Runners chance for third.

6) Jo and Jo       $21        Well beaten in weaker field last week. You join the dots 

7) Jo Jo and Jo Jo  $66    If the top six fall over he is hot fav to win.

8) Another Jo         $101   Hasn't placed for three years. Even the milk cart is catching up

9) Not Another Jo   $201   Would be a good hope of placing if he had a 300 meter head start.

10) Sick Of Jo         $301   Perhaps dad should have worn a Jo. Hot fav to run a distant last.

I appreciate Trottech just as it is and thank them for their ongoing efforts that have helped me put money in my pocket a lot more than they have ever cost me.