RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rdytdy

Fashion De Farce - More for Moor

Classic black and white was a winning combination for Charlotte Moor, who can now claim to be the best dressed woman on any New Zealand race course.

Moor was crowned the Viva Prix de Fashion Supreme National Winner at a perfect Auckland Derby Day at Ellerslie today.

The supreme award was picked from Fashion in the Field finalists from around New Zealand.

Moor wore a  traditional Derby Day black and white ensemble of a black Arthur Galan skirt, a black and white top and headpiece made by her mum, vintage gloves and a bag by Kate Spade.

She said she was "overwhelmed but excited to win".

Moor picked up a total prize package worth more than $30,000, including a three month lease on a BMW 4 Series convertible; two head pieces pieces by Natalie Chan, and a trip to the 2015 Melbourne Cup Carnival including 4 night's accommodation and automatic entry into the Myer Fashion on the Field.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fashion/66792055/classic-combo-secures-viva-prix-de-fashion-supreme-award

Probably get shot down but...

Yet again we see the same winners time after time in these Fashion In The Field events at the races. They have become a increasing farce.

I see Charlotte Moor won yet again on Boxing Day walking off with $30,000 in prizes backing up from winning on Myers day at the Melbourne Cup meeting and winning Wellington Fashions In the Field earlier in the year. (Any others this year?) Probably looking at $100K in prizes this year alone with (just something Mummy and I threw together). Oh and sister Olivia just happened to win the Derby Day Fashions In the Field in March to go along with her other wins also.

These sisters have been creaming it for at least the last five years in these things and have probably collectively won in excess of $500k.  There are others who have done the same thing in these events. 

Personally I have no interest in these events and wouldn't bother walking across the birdcage to even look at one being held. However I have friends in Auckland who only go on Boxing Day and Derby Day (the wife works in the fashion industry) just to watch these events. They have no interest in the horses or having a bet, the races just a distraction for them in the running of Fashions In The Field.

So, have these things become too big?, how much to they contribute? are the prizes excessive? Who do they actually attract?   

Instead of giving a car or what ever to these seemingly "professional clothes horses" would it be better to make the big prize available to all the rank and file on-course patrons on the day in some form of competition and letting a Joe Blow drive off in a brand new car.  

Thoughts anyone.

It has always been like that Ted.  Personally, I have no interest in it and I can only add that at least they have not repeated putting the runway in front of the main stand and having the commentary on the fashion over shadowing the race calling like several years ago.  You could not hear Georgie's call for it.  That is where I draw the line. 

So my thoughts are, the Fashion has always been part of the big days of racing at Ellerslie but as long as it is kept in the background I don't care who wins or who is trying to promote their fashion designs.  It is better than looking at a load of dead beat scruffy, intoxicated punters which were abundant many decades ago. :)

Probably get shot down but...

Yet again we see the same winners time after time in these Fashion In The Field events at the races. They have become a increasing farce.

I see Charlotte Moor won yet again on Boxing Day walking off with $30,000 in prizes backing up from winning on Myers day at the Melbourne Cup meeting and winning Wellington Fashions In the Field earlier in the year. (Any others this year?) Probably looking at $100K in prizes this year alone with (just something Mummy and I threw together). Oh and sister Olivia just happened to win the Derby Day Fashions In the Field in March to go along with her other wins also.

These sisters have been creaming it for at least the last five years in these things and have probably collectively won in excess of $500k.  There are others who have done the same thing in these events. 

Personally I have no interest in these events and wouldn't bother walking across the birdcage to even look at one being held. However I have friends in Auckland who only go on Boxing Day and Derby Day (the wife works in the fashion industry) just to watch these events. They have no interest in the horses or having a bet, the races just a distraction for them in the running of Fashions In The Field.

So, have these things become too big?, how much to they contribute? are the prizes excessive? Who do they actually attract?   

Instead of giving a car or what ever to these seemingly "professional clothes horses" would it be better to make the big prize available to all the rank and file on-course patrons on the day in some form of competition and letting a Joe Blow drive off in a brand new car.  

Thoughts anyone.

Charlotte's turn this year walking off with in excess of $30,000 in prizes including entry into the Myer Fashion on the Field at this year's Melbourne Cup. A new outfit will be required and the self perpetuation continues.

It was a black and white extravaganza.. and they all looked the same except for a couple of braver ones that dared to wear colours.. not much originality at all and the odd thing is that in Europe at the moment the trend is brocades and floral; and red (there was a lady just in the birdcage crowd that looked stunning yesterday in bright red and a red hat.. now she was with the times) and striking blues if you want to be daring... They all seem to just follow whatever each other wears or what the top shops are all trying to sell and much of the time they don't suit the outfit but just plaster on make up so at least their face is pretty and they show off their legs :)      I love it when someone wears what suits them, with lovely colours and a lovely design and the whole ensemble looks great on them.    We used to see that at these events but not anymore so really there are no trendsetters at all.. just a bit of a sheep mentality, which is sad, because they used to be fun to watch and everyone enjoyed it.. all age groups.

Cubes likes fashion .

We have had the same pair of two-tone blue jockeys for yonks now !!

We also have a green suit we wear one day a year on St Patrick's Day .

Anywhoo....

Here in Canterbury every woman I swear has a red and black outfit and we love that parochial spirit !

But the point is that humans like to get dressed up 'cause it makes them feel good and the fashion shows are a celebration of that fact .

Horseracing is glamorous and full of Cinderella stories .

Until you get the bill from the trainer and the vet anyhow .

Charlotte's turn this year walking off with in excess of $30,000 in prizes including entry into the Myer Fashion on the Field at this year's Melbourne Cup. A new outfit will be required and the self perpetuation continues.

Good on her/them.  Usually the way a market works - if there's money for jam then you'll get a lot of new entrants making it harder to make a buck.  Either this isn't happening or she is staying ahead of the game - very smart!

Nothing stopping others from breaking her (or their) stranglehold.

Fully agree with rdytdy and further in the thread to Tom. Once successful different rules should apply to future participation.

Make the main prize apply to first time winners and the secondary prize to the professionals.

Lets not forget the place pool in the first race was $13,000.  Lower than many greyhound races. Lower than Hawkes Bay's first race.

Whoever comes up with the cash for these prizes lets hope its all sponsored.

Betting all day at Ellersile was a shocker.

When they show the posers who sit under those umbrellas close to the bird cage (to give the impression that there are plenty of people there) ,you notice that they are not studying a race book with the view of making a bet.

Hardly surprising that their on course turnover has been crap for some time.

Good on her/them.  Usually the way a market works - if there's money for jam then you'll get a lot of new entrants making it harder to make a buck.  Either this isn't happening or she is staying ahead of the game - very smart!

Nothing stopping others from breaking her (or their) stranglehold.

Agreed.

If the opposition is that bad then they will keep on winning.

30k in prizes and a trip to next years Melbourne cup, suck it up losers.

Actually dosen't say much for the talent on show does it, maybe kiwi women need to up their game a bit and get with the (fashion) times. :P

oh my gosh how on earth did a Moor do it one Moor time?

Honestly the hemline and way it hung is an embarrassment and the pink legs on another contestant sure made us cringe.

It's such a shame some of the more glamorous ladies we had in racing are no longer alive to lead by example.

Quite frankly it doesn't bear thinking who the judges were to not look further afield and give someone else the limelight.

It wouldn't surprise us at all if indeed there's undisclosed conflicts of interests between the Moor family and those that are judging the best dressed lady competitions and some of the providers of these prizes.

By way of background, on the surface it appears as if they may be some cosy connections.

Sally-Ann Mullin one of the judges at this past weekend's Hawke's Bay contest  has a background as a costume buyer/ stylist for the Almighty Johnson's and is also understood to now work for Fashion Quarterly.

There's plenty of information online to join further dots to see that there may well be a pattern of you scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

What may be concerning is how these "cosy" relationships are viewed and impact on the integrity and transparency in the wider Racing industry and in the general public's view .

Almighty Johnsons' fashion stylist picks favourites

By Zoe Walker

5:30 AM Friday Mar 2, 2012

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10789073

Rachel Sloane owns Naveya & Sloane where Ms Olivia Moor works.

Rachel Sloane also worked in a costume department, that of Shortland Street.

Celebrations: Naveya & Sloane

http://www.rubynz.com/blog/2014/05/celebrations-naveya-and-sloane/

Olivia Moor

Jewellery Designer at NAVEYA AND SLOANE LIMITED

https://nz.linkedin.com/pub/olivia-moor/b6/304/320

Double trouble

By Zoe Walker

12:00 PM Wednesday Mar 3, 2010

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10629627

Floral print stands out among fashion in the field

By Amy Shanks

5:00 AM Monday Oct 5, 2015

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11523731

Fashion stakes high at Spring Classic in Hastings

•  
  •  
Category: Sport
Created: Saturday, 03 October 2015 18:40

http://www.hawkesbay.co.nz/sport/16706-fashion-stakes-high-at-spring-classic-in-hastings.html

aafshionstakes

Auckland's Olivia Moor beat out the other category winners to win the Fashion in the Field competition at Hawke's Bay Racing's Spring Classic Raceday in Hastings on Saturday. Photo: Clinton Llewellyn.

A last-minute decision to attend Hawke’s Bay Racing’s Livamol Spring Classic Race Day in Hastings on Saturday paid dividends for Aucklander Olivia Moor.

Wearing a pastel dress hand sewn by her “amazing seamstress" mother , the 25-year-old won a trip to Hawaii for two people for four nights as the overall winner of the Hunt & Seek Fashion in the Field competition, as well as $3,500 of handmade jewellery as the Classic Ladies Fashion category winner.

Moor said she would have no choice but to take her older sister Charlotte, 26, with her on the "amazing" trip to Hawaii.

“I’ll definitely be taking my sister with me because she drove us down [from Auckland] at 2.30 this morning.  It was a bit of a last minute decision to enter - I got up at 2.30 this morning and I was like ‘ come on let’s do it’, so we came down,” said Moor, who couldn't quite believe her big win in the fashion stakes.

“It’s amazing. It’s just a dream,” she beamed.

aasrping carnival

The big crowd of punters trackside at the Spring Classic Race Day in Hastings. Photo: Clinton Llewellyn

The feature race of the day, the $250,000 Group 1 Livamol Classic over 2040m, was won by Addictive Habit.

Ridden by Sam Spratt and trained by Lee Sommervell from Cambridge, the gelding paid a heathy $6.80 for the win, according to the TAB. 

Edited by meomy

Interestingly in 2014 when Olivia Moor won at Ellerslie, Auckland Racing Club’s TV3 Derby Day, Tracey Dalton ,TV3 head of styling and make up was one of the judges.

TV3 are the television station that also screened The Almighty Johnson's that Sally-Ann Mullin was previously involved in.

http://ontrackontrend.com/ellerslie-prix-de-fashion-final-nz/

I think you will find that they are the different category winners Shue if you look at the sashes.

I note the article you posted Memomy that it didn't mention that she also won entry in to The Fashion In The Fields on Derby Day at Ellerslie perpetuating the farce yet again. 

Good work on locating a connection though. 

Just decided during the night, yeah right! Didn't one of them say that after one of their previous wins.   

I did see the sisters at the races and  without  doubt  they are classy dressers. I would imagine a lot of thought goes into those outfits. Hardly something you would pull out of the wardrobe on the spur of the moment  and then rush down from Auckland to enter

1 minute ago, rdytdy said:

And the perpetuity continues. 

Wellington Cup 2016 Fashion In The Field winner is..........Olivia Moor.  What a far can surprise. :rolleyes: 

Are they odds on for Ellerslie tonight ?

On 5 October 2015 at 2:04 PM, meomy said:

By way of background, on the surface it appears as if they may be some cosy connections.

Sally-Ann Mullin one of the judges at this past weekend's Hawke's Bay contest  has a background as a costume buyer/ stylist for the Almighty Johnson's and is also understood to now work for Fashion Quarterly.

There's plenty of information online to join further dots to see that there may well be a pattern of you scratch my back I'll scratch yours.

What may be concerning is how these "cosy" relationships are viewed and impact on the integrity and transparency in the wider Racing industry and in the general public's view .

Almighty Johnsons' fashion stylist picks favourites

By Zoe Walker

5:30 AM Friday Mar 2, 2012

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10789073

Rachel Sloane owns Naveya & Sloane where Ms Olivia Moor works.

Rachel Sloane also worked in a costume department, that of Shortland Street.

Celebrations: Naveya & Sloane

http://www.rubynz.com/blog/2014/05/celebrations-naveya-and-sloane/

Olivia Moor

Jewellery Designer at NAVEYA AND SLOANE LIMITED

https://nz.linkedin.com/pub/olivia-moor/b6/304/320

Double trouble

By Zoe Walker

12:00 PM Wednesday Mar 3, 2010

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10629627

Floral print stands out among fashion in the field

By Amy Shanks

5:00 AM Monday Oct 5, 2015

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11523731

Fashion stakes high at Spring Classic in Hastings

•  
  •  
Category: Sport
Created: Saturday, 03 October 2015 18:40

http://www.hawkesbay.co.nz/sport/16706-fashion-stakes-high-at-spring-classic-in-hastings.html

aafshionstakes

Auckland's Olivia Moor beat out the other category winners to win the Fashion in the Field competition at Hawke's Bay Racing's Spring Classic Raceday in Hastings on Saturday. Photo: Clinton Llewellyn.

A last-minute decision to attend Hawke’s Bay Racing’s Livamol Spring Classic Race Day in Hastings on Saturday paid dividends for Aucklander Olivia Moor.

Wearing a pastel dress hand sewn by her “amazing seamstress" mother , the 25-year-old won a trip to Hawaii for two people for four nights as the overall winner of the Hunt & Seek Fashion in the Field competition, as well as $3,500 of handmade jewellery as the Classic Ladies Fashion category winner.

Moor said she would have no choice but to take her older sister Charlotte, 26, with her on the "amazing" trip to Hawaii.

“I’ll definitely be taking my sister with me because she drove us down [from Auckland] at 2.30 this morning.  It was a bit of a last minute decision to enter - I got up at 2.30 this morning and I was like ‘ come on let’s do it’, so we came down,” said Moor, who couldn't quite believe her big win in the fashion stakes.

“It’s amazing. It’s just a dream,” she beamed.

aasrping carnival

The big crowd of punters trackside at the Spring Classic Race Day in Hastings. Photo: Clinton Llewellyn

The feature race of the day, the $250,000 Group 1 Livamol Classic over 2040m, was won by Addictive Habit.

Ridden by Sam Spratt and trained by Lee Sommervell from Cambridge, the gelding paid a heathy $6.80 for the win, according to the TAB. 

Last minute decision my arse..... ;)

48 minutes ago, gubellini said:

Ted you can always make a "last minute decision" and enter the male attire section!

Wash you mouth out Gubes. :D

Going to the races is about watching horses parade and finding a winner on the track  .....   not watching clothes-horses parading and picking a winner on the cat walk. ;)