RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
smoken up

Julian Dean!!!

Can you expand on that, smoken? Does the TDFG prohibit national teams? Or do you mean that a New Zealand national team wouldn't cut the mustard?

(I suspect the first because I can't recall ever seeing a national team competing...)

It's probably a mixture of both. I think you'd need a few european riders. Maybe even the odd American rider.

An all New Zealand team wouldn't gain entry into the TDF.

There are teams in the TDF that do represent a certain country. All teams do, some are just more parochial (i think thats the right word.)

Team Sky- A british team. They want to have as much british riders as they can, but they have a good smattering of international riders.

Team Katusha-A largely Russian team. But one of their stars is an Aussie, Robbie McCewen.

Team Black racing will need a few decent international riders to fulfil their goal of been in the TDF.

They'll need them to be competitive when they race in Europe.

Alberto Contador's off contract at the moment!!!!

Alberto Contador's off contract at the moment!!!!

You wouldn't want Alberto to be delivering the team talk to his, mainly, Kiwi companions- his English seems to be non-existent! :D

The rigours of a massive season have ruled Julian Dean out of the reckoning for the Commonwealth Games.

Dean has informed selectors today that he wants to withdrawn from consideration for the Games after his team Garmin Transitions have indicated they want him to ride the upcoming Vuelta a Espana this month.

The 35 year old was the only rider to complete all three grand tours last year - the Giro d

what money needs to be poured into cycling ?

buy a bike, train hard, win races.

Well it would be nice if the powers that be could put some money into it. My son represented NZ a month ago in the under 17s Australian tour and it cost us $3,000. The parents even had to pay for the coaches, managers and mechanics trips. Coming up It's another $3,000 in late November under similar conditions for him to do the Oceania track championships. His road bike cost $5,000 and his track bike was $3,500.

John key did handstands a few weeks ago when he announced the govt was putting $40million into a new sports institute setup namely coaches and buildings of which cycling is going to play a major part they reckoned but nothing towards the real costs for the riders. Lets hope they decide to invest in this new Pure Black team.

Well it would be nice if the powers that be could put some money into it. My son represented NZ a month ago in the under 17s Australian tour and it cost us $3,000. The parents even had to pay for the coaches, managers and mechanics trips. Coming up It's another $3,000 in late November under similar conditions for him to do the Oceania track championships. His road bike cost $5,000 and his track bike was $3,500.

John key did handstands a few weeks ago when he announced the govt was putting $40million into a new sports institute setup namely coaches and buildings of which cycling is going to play a major part they reckoned but nothing towards the real costs for the riders. Lets hope they decide to invest in this new Pure Black team.

Hi Sparticus

Welcome to the site.

Cycling always has been and always will be an expensive sport to reach the top level as so much travel is involved.You have to travel to the top events to get noticed.My father used to travel all over N.Z. to ride and one season he was only home one weekend out of 30.That was 30years ago but i wouldnt imagine it has changed much.

Cheers Richie

I've just read the thoroughbred section here for quite a while now but occasionally look in the sports section too and came across this thread which of course is close to the heart one could say with my son's involvement in cycling. I didn't do it myself.

Yes travel is easily the biggest cost with cycling. There is always enough local racing for more average riders but if you're good you travel lots to the big events like you say.

I have to say we have had some support from a couple of sponsors and our local club but this has covered about a third of the total so far. It's much appreciated though. Don't want to seem ungrateful.

I think there is a lot of people who browse but are not registered.I know a couple of my mates look but feel that too many posters become confontational with posts they may disagree with so just look in from a distance

I think there is a lot of people who browse but are not registered.I know a couple of my mates look but feel that too many posters become confontational with posts they may disagree with so just look in from a distance

Yes I see each section has one or two who obsess over that section so they spoil things a bit.

New Zealand will have a full quota of cyclists at the Commonwealth Games in October, with Pro Tour riders Greg Henderson and Hayden Roulston and the country's current world championship medallists among those selected.

The number of New Zealand riders in New Delhi will be the maximum allowed and 26 were named today.

There will be one competitor added to the men's road squad, while the selectors said they expected some track riders would cover on road events.

The men's road squad is headed by Henderson and Roulston, who are the team's most experienced campaigners with 11 Commonwealth and Olympic Games and eight medals between them.

National road champion Jack Bauer has also been included, as has Gordon McCauley, who will ride in the time trial, in which he won Commonwealth bronze four years ago.

The women's road team features Danish-born Linda Villumsen, who switched her allegiance to New Zealand this year, and Beijing Olympian Cath Cheatley.

Villumsen rides for top women's team HTC Columbia and was third in the world championship time trial last year and fifth in the road race at the Beijing Olympics.

Cheatley is a former world track championship medallist now racing in the United States, where she is leading the US national series.

The track squad is based around the contingent that won a record four medals at this year's world championships in Copenhagen.

They include world pursuit silver medallist Jesse Sergent and his bronze-winning men's pursuit colleagues Sam Bewley, Westley Gough, Marc Ryan and Peter Latham.

The women feature world points race silver medallist Lauren Ellis, as well as the two riders with whom Ellis won world bronze in the team pursuit, former world champion Alison Shanks and Rushlee Buchanan.

A full men's sprint squad has been chosen for the first time.

The youthful group is headed by Eddie Dawkins, 21, who was fifth at the world championships in the kilo time trail and was fifth in the team sprint with Sam Webster and Adam Stewart.

With the Commonwealth Games being part of the build-up to the 2012 London Olympics, Bike NZ High Performance director Mark Elliott said the squad contained both proven professionals and young riders having their first taste of a multisport event at this level.

He said the likes of Australia, Canada and Great Britain (competing as separate home countries) would make for a world-class event.

"While there are a handful of British riders opting for the European Championships instead, we have no doubt that this is a very, very strong competition," he said.

"We would like to think we can match our performances from the last two Commonwealths on the track, and with 16 years since the last road race medal, it would be nice to break that cycle."

The New Zealand cycling team for the Commonwealth Games:-

Men:

Track - Shane Archbold (Timaru), Sam Bewley (Rotorua), Eddie Dawkins (Invercargill), Westley Gough (Waipukurau), Peter Latham (Te Awamutu), Ethan Mitchell (Auckland), Marc Ryan (Timaru), Jesse Sergent (Feilding), Myron Simpson (Auckland), Adam Stewart (Christchurch), Simon Van Velthooven (Palmerston North), Sam Webster (Auckland).

Road - Jack Bauer (Nelson), Greg Henderson (Dunedin), Gordon McCauley (Auckland), Hayden Roulston (Christchurch) and one to be added.

Female:

Track - Kaytee Boyd (Waiuku), Rushlee Buchanan (Te Awamutu), Gemma Dudley (Levin), Lauren Ellis (Hinds), Joanne Kiesanowski (Christchurch), Jaime Nielsen (Hamilton), Alison Shanks (Dunedin).

Road - Catherine Cheatley (Wanganui), Melissa Holt (Cambridge), Linda Villumsen (Auckland).

Strong team.

Whats the road race course like. Any serious climbing?

They say it's a pretty flat course that may have suited J Dean and Henderson. If it's a bunch finish they shouldn't beat Greg Henderson. Well it depends on whether Mark Renshaw races or not too.

It starts August 11th and runs till the 15th. I'll post updates here. Last year Sam Webster won all three sprinting Golds, the sprints, the kierin and the team sprint with two other Kiwis and he's in the senior squad named here for the Comm Games. He goes good.

They say it's a pretty flat course that may have suited J Dean and Henderson. If it's a bunch finish they shouldn't beat Greg Henderson. Well it depends on whether Mark Renshaw races or not too.

I don't know if Mark Cavendish will do the Games but of course he'd be the favourite if he does.

It starts August 11th and runs till the 15th. I'll post updates here. Last year Sam Webster won all three sprinting Golds, the sprints, the kierin and the team sprint with two other Kiwis and he's in the senior squad named here for the Comm Games. He goes good.

Please do keep us updated.Where are they being held.

I see Hayden Roulston won the last stage of the Tour of Denmark overnight.

Manged to hold on by 2 seconds over the rest of the peloton.

There were a couple of other Kiwi riders in that Peloton aswell.

The junior world track championships are all done for this year.

NZ finished up with 2 silver medals in the girls team sprint and the girls team pursuit. So five of the 12 NZ riders come home with a medal. The team sprint girls were Steph McKenzie (also 4th in the individual sprint) and Henrietta Mitchell both of Auckland.The team pursuit girls were Liz Steel of Christchurch, Alexandra Neems of North Harbour and Georgia Williams of Auckland.

The boys best results were a fourth in the team pursuit after being third fastest qualifiers and losing the race off for bronze with one of the team pursuit members Pieter Bulling from Southland also having the frustration of finishing fourth in the points race just one point behind second and third.

Age groups in cycling go in two year spans and most of this NZ team can ride the world champs again next year so expect better results next year.

I hate to say it but once again the Ozzies did very well winning lots of medals.

7 golds, 3 silvers and 4 bronzes

Spartacus

Georgia Williams- any relation of Stuart Williams?

I remember him as a schoolboy rider from Auckland Grammar, who went on to win a gold at the Commonwealth Games- teams pursuit.

A very fast and aggressive rider.

Spartacus

Georgia Williams- any relation of Stuart Williams?

I remember him as a schoolboy rider from Auckland Grammar, who went on to win a gold at the Commonwealth Games- teams pursuit.

A very fast and aggressive rider.

he says her dad's name is Paul and he doesn't think they're related to Stuart but not sure though.

go tell yah son to man up and play a real sport and not bike round all allone with a thin hard seat up his butt.

make more money to then u wont keep complainin about paying out for it

he says her dad's name is Paul and he doesn't think they're related to Stuart but not sure though.

Thanks Spartacus. There are also other Williams riding around these days.

As for Razor Sharp, it seems that the razor has slipped and inflicted some damage to himself; probably bleeding profusely...