RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
smoken up

Julian Dean!!!

I know there is a World Cup on at the moment. And There's an Octopus picking winners.

But this Morning, Julian Dean finished 2nd in the 4th stage of one of the great sport events. Le Tour De France!

The is a mammoth result, and well deserved for one of the best lead out men in cycling. This morning he was allowed to show that he is a great sprinter in his own right.

Two 2nds and a 3rd. This is a huge result for New Zealand Cycling and for Julian.

This man deserves the Halberg award. This is far bigger than any rowing win.

Give this guy the credit he deserves!!!

Two 2nds and a 3rd. This is a huge result for New Zealand Cycling and for Julian.

Give this guy the credit he deserves!!!

Yes pity he hasnt got a whole team designated to him instead of farrar

Trouble is, smoken, that the Halberg Committee - known to get orgasmic over even the tiniest of Rowing 'World Cup' wins - are going to really get messy later this year when the World Rowing Championships are staged here...

A monumental achievement for Julian.

Quite remarkable placings considering the injuries he has overcome over recent years and the hazards he encountered during this tour.

A very canny rider. Positions himself so well by being patient and following the right wheels.

He certainly showed his experience of previous years' rides and didn't burn too early. It was somehow appropriate that the man he overtok iin the last 50 metres was his former team-mate,Thor Hushovd, who he has led out on so many past occasions- often successfully.

Clearly worthy of a special achievement award by his countrymen.

Yes pity he hasnt got a whole team designated to him instead of farrar

It would be great to a proffesional cycling team from New Zealand to go to those sort of Tours.

The Government should realise that a NZ Cycling team would give Our country far more exposure than, say, a yachting team which they pour millions of our money into each couple of years.

First 3 riders you could sign, Hayden Roulston, 3rd in a stage of Le Tour last year.

Greg Henderson, Won a stage of the Vuelta Espana last year.

Julian Dean. who has had so many great results over the years.

Then just build the team around those guys.

It would be great to a proffesional cycling team from New Zealand to go to those sort of Tours.

The Government should realise that a NZ Cycling team would give Our country far more exposure than, say, a yachting team which they pour millions of our money into each couple of years.

First 3 riders you could sign, Hayden Roulston, 3rd in a stage of Le Tour last year.

Greg Henderson, Won a stage of the Vuelta Espana last year.

Julian Dean. who has had so many great results over the years.

Then just build the team around those guys.

Add in a couple of competent all round riders, say Jack Bauer (beat Roulston & Dean in the NZ Champs and now riding in Europe) and Jeremy Vennell (good long time trial and stage rider), plus Jeremy Yates (former Junior World Champ- now forgiven(?), but might need a couple of outside riders to compete in the mountains.

The hard part would be convincing the French organisers that we warrant an invitation, there being a limit of the number of riders permitted to compete.

I know the Tinwald cycling club in Ashburton,home of many top cyclists,is looking into the merits of starting up a young team to compete in tours in N.Z. and Oz.Their idea is too start small and see what happens.It is only a thought at this stage but wouldnt it be great if it got off the ground.Especially if you could get help from club members like Hayden Roulston,Jason Christie,Lauren Ellis and the top riders of the past like Tino Tabak,Colin Ryan and Tinwald stalwarts Paul and Neil wylie.I will for one be very interested to see if it ever gets off the ground.

Long term who knows where it could lead to in 10 years time.

I agree. Scrap Govt funding for yachting and put it toward a Tour De France cycling team. A travelling billboard making it's way around France for three weeks.

And can we have Thor Hushovd "The God of Thunder", on the Kiwi team? He's got all the attributes you want in a good Kiwi bloke, unlike that dog Cantador who takes advantage of others misfortune.

unlike that dog Cantador who takes advantage of others misfortune.

Hardly misfortune when a guy stuffs up a gear change.He changed gear at wrong time and chain jumped,rider error.Saxobank director basically stated maybe rider error.

Hardly misfortune when a guy stuffs up a gear change.He changed gear at wrong time and chain jumped,rider error.Saxobank director basically stated maybe rider error.

If it was a stuffed up gear change, he would not have known that at the time, so there it is, no room for Alberto Contador on Team Kiwi. Only good blokes need apply.

Add in a couple of competent all round riders, say Jack Bauer (beat Roulston & Dean in the NZ Champs and now riding in Europe) and Jeremy Vennell (good long time trial and stage rider), plus Jeremy Yates (former Junior World Champ- now forgiven(?), but might need a couple of outside riders to compete in the mountains.

The hard part would be convincing the French organisers that we warrant an invitation, there being a limit of the number of riders permitted to compete.

A number of top finishes from Julian over the years Would go close to convincing the orginisers.

If thats not enough, Buy a couple of good french riders. Sylvain Chavanel would be the perfect guy to have.

I agree. Scrap Govt funding for yachting and put it toward a Tour De France cycling team. A travelling billboard making it's way around France for three weeks.

And can we have Thor Hushovd "The God of Thunder", on the Kiwi team? He's got all the attributes you want in a good Kiwi bloke, unlike that dog Cantador who takes advantage of others misfortune.

That would be awesome having Thor on the team!!!!

But who would lead out who. Julian Dean leading out Hushovd? Or the other way round?

Greg Henderson would argue that he should be the main sprinter aswell.

Watch this space. A friend of mine has just been commissioned to market a new NZ Cycling team for international competition. What the exact specifics are I am not certain.

I recall that New Zealand teams have competed in the Tour Down Under, going back to the days of Jack Swart, Graeme Miller, Stephen Cox, Ian Richards etc. but the riders were at best semi pro in those days.

Would be hard to attract a French rider to compete for a Kiwi team- very patriotic and sensitive those Frenchmen.

Maybe a lesser European country where we have some contacts.

Watch this space. A friend of mine has just been commissioned to market a new NZ Cycling team for international competition. What the exact specifics are I am not certain.

Are you been serious?

Or just taking the mickey?

For a bit of fun, and also in hope that it may one day be a reality, lets 'create' a New Zealand pro tour cycling team.

Lets start with Sponsership!

Seen as there is a Telecom sponsered team in pro cycling (B-box Bougyes Telecom.) I reckon Vodafone, would get on board.

McDonalds is also a possibility. They have supported New Zealand athletes in the past.

And we could give Tinwald cycling club a mention on the Jersey!

The Team name would have to incorporate the name 'Kiwi', along the main sponsers name.

Someone else can come up with that. I ain't that creative.

The team itself would have to consist of about 20-25 riders. And at least a third of them from New Zealand.

We do need to be realistic though, in terms of the rest of the team.

$30 million spent by the Govt. on Yachting. I think we'll find could give New Zealand a VERY good, competetive Pro tour team................

G Unit's contact has been unveiled.

$20 million required to establish the concept.

Interesting.

Yes, just heard it on Radio Sport.

The team is called Pure Black Racing.

Lead by, funilly enough, a Yachtsman, a Guy called Carl Williams.

They'll be competing in the Continental Tour in America next year. And the ultimate aim is to be in the TDF in 2015.

Announcements on sponsorship, team members and team kit will be made over the coming months. Pure Black Racing is set to debut at New Zealand's Tour of Southland in November.

Does sound good. Although I hear they want all the squad to be Kiwi riders. I think that is not possible, particulalry if the want to gain entry in the TDF.

Still, sounds awesome. So lets get in and support them!!!!

they want all the squad to be Kiwi riders. I think that is not possible, particulalry if the want to gain entry in the TDF.

Can you expand on that, smoken? Does the TDFG prohibit national teams? Or do you mean that a New Zealand national team wouldn't cut the mustard?

(I suspect the first because I can't recall ever seeing a national team competing...)