RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
ivanthegreat

Herald on Sunday

Big " Up's"  to the racing section for Sunday this and most weeks. Never any expanded form and this week no fields at all .....O'h except a meeting for Wingatui ( I suppose this will be for Wednesday ). Last time I ever buy this paper on a Sunday.

I dont think they had any Australian fields in the racing supplement for the weekend with plenty of interest in Cranbourne ,Sydney or Ascot. 

You are making yourselves redundant........ are you already getting a commission from The Informant. ?

I can see a future where racing fields no longer appear in the major newspapers.

They will have their pages filled up with celebrity news like All Blacks getting married,passing wind and nice stories how a shortland street stars uncles ,,cousins dog ran away.

Yep sir times are going to get tough.

In Oz the liftouts on Friday in most State daily newspapers are very good, with all horses last 3 starts and a brief commentary on chances and to accompany these, you can get Best Bets, Winning Post or Sportsman, with best from track work etc then there are the online form lines.

I go into probably the largest TAB in Naiper on a Thursday lunchtime to grab a Best Bets and it's a 50/50 call if there's any left I'm sure they only get about 6 in.Plain crazy this is the shop window and you can't buy one on the first day they come out.

No update on HB Racing web site since 11th November re trackwork or local owners news and when I asked they said that the reporter was on holiday.Poor for people who have horses trained on the track.Yes I know you can buy a mag to read it but now another thing you have to pay for.

There is no shortage of information available via the internet and I have had a laptop for eight years and do access it. However, I like to refer to the newspaper for quick reference at times. Newspapers are changing and sales declining with many people accessing the headlines via the internet............. all the more reason why you would think they would like to remain relevant. I can still remember a guy at the freezing works who used to throw everything away apart from the racing pages.

When I lived in Wellington we used to get the Friday Flash on the Thursday night, compulsory reading, and on Saturday night The Sports Post.

I will keep buying the Best Bets as long as they will produce it and prefer using it on course as well rather than the course books.

Easier to read on the loo than trying to balance a laptop also. Ha Ha.

Yes, I agree, must have a best bets or turf digest when going to the track.

But most other times, I will just print off the fields at home, far easier than folding newspaper each race to see meeting on other side.

Always thought that the turf could have done better selling this product. If they could run to time and have fields for Fri and Sat all printed for Thurs night, why couldn't it be delivered with the Christchurch Press I get, maybe if it was a little cheaper they could sell more.

Is it worth $5....yes If I go to the track....But is its just an average weekend of racing, I don't bother.

But if it was ...say $3....if you got it delivered every week.....Well yes, for convenience I would buy it.

As others have said.....The reason I sometimes cant be bothered, is the fact you never know when it is being available.

A bit like my newspaper, it is there every morning before 6am....If they started getting late...I would probably stop getting it.

I am sure there are many more with these same views.

Same for me - need a Turf Digest on track - usually covered in so many scribbles and notes you can hardly read it  :P

I also get the Informant each week - kind of like to support it and enjoy the trackwork and a leisurely read. Also provides some extra data (eg winning distances that the Turf doesn't - but misses other info - eg left/right handed winner or not)

Spending $9 or whatever a week kind of pales into insignificance compared to the $'s bet - so I don't mind (and I print a lot of TAB form as well....)

Portfolio, your problem of not been able to get the Turf Digest / Best Bets when you would like to is because distribution is reliant on planes and the drivers that distribute it been on time.

The same problem often happened with the Friday Flash which was a brilliant publication.

Some people take pride in doing their jobs dutifully, others are not so reliable.

We forever have struck this issue at certain supermarkets that supplied Best Bets, the staff in the magazine aisle often don't care if magazines/ racing publication etc are not on the shelf til a day later than they arrive.

They don't care how much effort some people put into their jobs they rely on the be feed and housed.

This issue has been discussed on Racecafe in years gone by.