RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
rumpole

C W Johnson The Magic Man 1987 wins

13 wins to go and he reaches 2000

not bad for a bloke who gave the game away for 7 years

this season he has been riding very well

his ride on the Kevin Gray maiden last Saturday Fire and Ice was superb

The David Haworth horse looked the winner but CWJ just calmly got home by half a head

the figure of 1987 has been checked against all Turf Refisters since 1981 so dont be fooled by the TAB figure or the figure on the NZTR website'

He still has a rod in his leg and that stops him riding as short as he did in the old days

55 hurdle wins out of some 260 rides Grand National Hurdles 4 times, Great Northern Hurdles and Wellington hurdles plus many more

My prediction is 2000 at Kumara

Any thoughts??

The big bonus is there is no Cameron George to persecute him

This post has been promoted to an article

I think Mr Johnson will nail the 2000th before Christmas Mr Rumpole.

Agree, he is riding very very well at the present time - a treat to watch and enjoy.

He had a super NZ Cup carnival and a couple of his wins were "text book Johnson"

Just hope the industry has the ability to champion and celebrate the success of a magnificent achievement. Or, am I asking too much?

Bring it on .................

A leading south island trainer told me 30 years ago that he was worth 5 lengths. I think he has deteriorated, maybe due to the rod in the leg. Perhaps 4.5 lengths these days.

Well said Leggy...he has to ride a lot longer than before he got that rod

In recent times his ride on Natuzzi at Caulfield and Trentham were 9 out of 10

I'll ask this question and hope the fan club don't pounce with too much intensity.

In your opinion, do you think he would have ridden more, or less winners, had he been a more aggressive rider?

Obviously as he's getting older it's not easy to ride aggressively - was he the same in his younger days?

Good question SLB.

In my view riding much the same, tho not as short as when younger -  tho this hasn't affected his amazing balance on top. If you get a chance dial up a you tube video of Lester Piggot (in his later years) and have a look at the similarities. Absolutely uncanny, all to do with weight distribution.

Johnson settles horses, balances them well, saves them during the running, they finish on under a balanced ride (sits perfectly still with superb weight distribution) and little use of the stick. All in all if you finish down the track, you have a horse tomorrow. Another attribute as he is not unkind to his horses and doesn't knock them about.

Some could say, and probably will, that he reefs a few to many to the back of the pack. A fair call maybe, but the record book very impressive and results are too.

In his younger days he was never known as overly aggressive, but had an amazing skill of "anticipation" and put horses in gaps before they appeared. Still has it too.   

I guess we all loose a little skill as we age, Johnson possibly has too but he certainly "still has it"

I suppose the other question is - do many riders going around today have Johnson's skill sets. I think we all know the answer to that.

Probably not, but I just wish he was more aggressive, from a purely punting perspective - and I'd rather a super aggressive rider like Sydney premiership winning James McDonald in the saddle.

It's tough to watch your bet not even being put in the race, but each to their own and records don't lie, as you said.

Fair enough SLB - you clearly enjoy watching CWJs talents just as I enjoy James Mac

Great sport to enjoy when the best of the best are on display that's for sure

Happy profitable punting SLB - enjoy

Make sure you "you tube" some of Piggot's later rides and see the amazing similarity CWJ has with the lack of movement on a horse, particularly in the last furlong - and the seat and straight back - uncanny

I'll ask this question and hope the fan club don't pounce with too much intensity.

In your opinion, do you think he would have ridden more, or less winners, had he been a more aggressive rider?

Obviously as he's getting older it's not easy to ride aggressively - was he the same in his younger days?

The reason why he has ridden so many winners is because he is not aggressive and gets along with many more horses because of his relaxed style, not unlike NGH to a degree, but yes I have known him as a friend since we started out together, and he has always been a cold rider, and a bloody good one.

Just 9 to go  had a few bad runs today but rode very well when he could get handy..Elusive tracey was a gem

Geez he'll get a big head if you carry on like that Rumpers. Go and have a couple of reds and settle down.

Maybe I misjudged the impact of the titanium, perhaps down to 4.8 lengths from 5.

I lost 8k when he rode an on pace runner back one day at invercagill and have seen him be unlucky in a 7 horse race at riccarton,when he wins your saying genius but at times your scratching your head when he loses,and moreso because he's suppose to be that good. Punters friend? He's brilliant...at times

I lost 8k when he rode an on pace runner back one day at invercagill and have seen him be unlucky in a 7 horse race at riccarton,when he wins your saying genius but at times your scratching your head when he loses,and moreso because he's suppose to be that good. Punters friend? He's brilliant...at times

Like every jockey he throws in shockers... like Littorio.