RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
slam dunk

Avondale J.C..... from Zero to Hero

This Saturday Avondale hosts the Counties Cup and is following it up with a twilight meeting.

Only two years ago Avondale commenced racing after having zero races or trials for almost two years.

In a period from the end of April to early in November Avondale easily had more races plus trials than any other track in New Zealand even after losing a day due to hurricane damage. Thats a remarkable turn around.

The horses are back but next the big job of getting the people back must be a challenge. However the facilities look great, the area is buzzing with massive development plus a new President Allan Boyle a name that should ring bells after the latest commonwealth games. There is no reason why racing can't get back to its glory days.

They were offered the Cup and Guineas back by ARC, but Racing Authority refused, saying they wouldn't have group races run there until facilities were improved.  Avondale have had rotten luck at times , the land they hoped to sell off this year to pay back debt,  has now found to be contaminated, bringing sale at the moment  to a standstill. 

Is he related to(son maybe) John Boyle a former president at the Avondale JC

Brother I would say but I don't know how many John's there are. Certainly Boyles associated with the club for a while.

The twilight date is interesting particularly considering all the businesses in the area. Although the late announcement and thinness of Avondale in the marketing department unfortunate.

Twilight racing could also be an attraction for the train commuter crowd. Instead of being hold up in a coffee bar in Auckland central far more exciting getting on a train and stopping at Avondale races.

They were offered the Cup and Guineas back by ARC, but Racing Authority refused, saying they wouldn't have group races run there until facilities were improved.  Avondale have had rotten luck at times , the land they hoped to sell off this year to pay back debt,  has now found to be contaminated, bringing sale at the moment  to a standstill. 

How can you have land contaminated unless it was a rubbish dump or a seweage spillover.. Its got native trees on it so must have contaminated ages ago. Even so the estimates of its worth seemed optimistic.

The Racing Authority is just following the uninformed pack surfacing on Racecafe. There is nothing wrong with Avondale facilities. If you can run more races and trials than any other club over the wet period there is nothing wrong with the track.  If the TAB had a proper ontrack betting system then that would be a major help.

I don't know how it got contaminated , it was reported  in a release issued to members just before the AGM.   As a member, I agree with assessment you make on facilities. The member's stand is open to public as is the owners / trainers stand and nothing wrong with those.  Apparently the Racing Authority feel the look of public stand and outer, doesn't fit TV images they want for group race. Or so we were told in annual member's report. 

I don't know how it got contaminated , it was reported  in a release issued to members just before the AGM.   As a member, I agree with assessment you make on facilities. The member's stand is open to public as is the owners / trainers stand and nothing wrong with those.  Apparently the Racing Authority feel the look of public stand and outer, doesn't fit TV images they want for group race. Or so we were told in annual member's report. 

Grandstands are a thing of the past. NZTR brought out an English racecourse planning expert for their AGM. The interesting thing he had to say was that at Ascot the most expensive boxes to be at the track was not overlooking the track but overlooking the parade ring.. Something Trackside need to consider when they cover the horses on screen with the odds.

A big shift in attitudes re the general Avondale set-up would be needed before the people flock there.

About 250 people attend meetings there...100 in OT area after finish line ,100 members in dated but OK members area and 50 folk around birdcage and big stand.

That big stand could do with a glassed conference room/dining room built......that or pulled down completely ,its a shocker.

Any viewing outside adversely affected by wind/chilliness !!!

As Avondale is at moment its one of the few tracks where you can watch horses parade , bet, get an OK coffee ,some hot chips and steak sandwich and watch race ....all within 50m radius.

Take some fly spray to escape the flies at tote/toilet  nearest the birdcage !!!

It certainly needs more race days.....track good.

Agree something needs to be decided with the big grandstand. I remember back in seventies going around all the old dairy factories in Taranaki almost a 100 of them and was staggered at their uses. Ingenuity knew no bounds. Perhaps canvassing for proposals best option for Avondale.

Still making more money off the markets and rentals, than the races.

I think we need to rid ourselves of that parasitic bank, and start making a profit for ourselves instead of still servicing a bleeding 20 year sore from those parasites.  If Auckland can get all their debts wiped by the board, then why can't we ?

The foundations of the main stand are solid as and its only peripheral things ( roof, windows ?, ... ) that need work, the top bar is still fit and the main public bar is still very usable (ie Housie) , I guess the other bar is still solid, just lacking fittings.

If you are sure its just the Racing Authority stopping us getting OUR races back and some Saturdays, then I guess I'm going to hold them all responsible and will deal out to them as they have to us ... ;)

Legacy grandstands as with factories are a worldwide phenomena not just restricted to horse racing.

After a quick internet search the most successful solutions have been where the non privately owned have been opened up to community proposals.

Committees on racing clubs are usually too busy running their own businesses and in the case of Avondale the operations are on a shoestring. There has to be more openness and canvassing the community is actually good for building raceday attendance. Relying on outside experts may present a few good ideas but its the initiatives within the community that count.

Community rules, especially out West ... :)

I am sure if you sat down with the right people, not racing admins or advisors or bean counters,

you could easily plan a years community activities for Avondale.

The other bastards to ignore or avoid are the council, those blind monkeys just see dollar signs, and not good earning dollars but evil one-way gone deals ... :angry:

The day has dawned for the Counties Racing club Cup meeting.

The clouds are a light grey, but high.  The track is perfect as always.

Looks like the team has given the place a spruce up for their big day, well done !  ;)

The fields are fantastic ...  :)

R1: Time for Owen to SHOW if he's still got it,  but I got a p e f  for a place.

R2: With the Graph scratched, the betting says the ADMIRAL is going to sail in, but even tho I love the Williams team, its been around a while. So looking at something a little south.

R3:  Wide open with many chances, field in the last leg of the treble !

R4: Wide open for a different reason, don't like taking the field in the first leg of a treble, but have too. :blink:

R5:  Again the money says DJ is likely to PROCURE,  but I am looking at MDP to get some place money.

R6: Fantastic field of females, any selection can win and deserve it ...  :)

R7: A little CURIOUS abt DJs ride, as it let me down way back in Feb, since down very well. SHOW No E has definitely shown some.

R8: Not a great Cup field, but still lots of interest and a few up and comers to take on the old stayers.  Taking form with the LADY, but I hope the POSTMAN runs well for Don and Shane. :ph34r:

R9: A great sprint with many talented horses, Weight can stop a train, so the TOWN is out of my normal place bet on it, Going WHOs - RUUD but don't be surprised.  

R10: Going for the Ms, with MASSA, from MUSCAT and the PRINCESS ........

Wish the Club and all the owners, trainers and some on course punters a great day.  B)