RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tatura

What German Sire stood in Nz

With the success of the German sires sons, can anyone recall the German stallion that stood at Matamata in The seventies?

I'll give you a tip. He was grey and stood alongside Blue Carnation.

No prizes but I think he may have been the first and possibly the only German stallion to have stood here.

Sorry Guys I've been away.

Tazrula I understand had a (Ger) prefix. He was by Grey Sovereign out of a German mare Nona by Oise from Naxos byTicino from Nixe. I think it was the family of Neckar a champion German sire.

I bred a mare to him many years ago at Ballingarry Stud owned by the Holmes' in Matamata. I am going by memory so I stand to be corrected. That's the only German family I can recall in NZ.

One sire that I recall with German bloodlines that stood in NZ in the early nineties was Antic Boy (by Nebos ex Alaria by Kaiseradler). Though born in Ireland he was conceived in Germany. Antic Boy raced twice at 2 years and once at three years. At two years he won the GR3 Lepardstown Stakes beating Mulhollande and Bluebird and was placed on his debut. At three years he ran third in the GR2 Derrinstown Derby Trial Stakes behind Seattle Dancer and Ancient Times.

Antic Boy was retired to John Shaw's Prebbleton Farm where his potential went unrecognised and wasted. Antic Boys sire stats were respectable, he sired 49 named foals, 36 starters, 14 winners and three stakes winners. His three stakes winners Kincaple Lad (GR3 CJC Stewards H), Thomas James (GR3 White Robe Lodge H) and Auchtric (Listed Canterbury Breeders S) were all from his third crop that numbered only 10 named foals.

v8mMOJT.png

It is a pity he was undervalued , Henri. I'm sure someone will find a suitable Monsun stallion for NZ in the near future and so an Antic Boy mare ( or grand dam of a mare) would be an interesting "experiment".

It is a pity he was undervalued , Henri. I'm sure someone will find a suitable Monsun stallion for NZ in the near future and so an Antic Boy mare ( or grand dam of a mare) would be an interesting "experiment".

Not sure if anyone here will buck the "Coolmore" hold Henri.

I still wonder if "anyone" will acknowledge the benefits of a Monsun son import. Takes sometime to do this here in NZ. Too "Protectionist" I feel.

Star Wolf's mother was a German-bred mare by Neckar. Star Wolf's best win came in the 2400m Allianz-Pokal at Munich. He was trained by Theo Grieper who also trained Star Way's sire Star Appeal to win the Arc de Triomphe. He also trained Eapaulette's and Helmet's 3rd dam Anna Paola as well as Aspros, Animal Kingdom's 3rd damsire and also Animal Kingdom's own 5th dam - Diu (1972 German Oaks winner by Utrillo).

Soult was champion sire1908-13 and Martian was champion 7 times between 1914-21 so on that basis if it's not 1 of them there is a single year when possibly a German bred was champion but god know's who that would be because i can't seem to find a bloody list.Then again i could be barking up the wrong tree.