RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Insider

Otago Bred.....

The first Kiwi bred horse home in the Melbourne Cup, Who Shot The Barman was Otago bred. 

That's wonderful and shows that a quality animal, capable of competing on the world stage can still be bred anywhere in New Zealand.

All, any other part of NZ needs, is an outstanding stallion and that part of NZ will be in breeding resurrection.

Disclosure: I have my mares based in the Waikato but for the good of the Thoroughbred Industry I would love for many other areas to become strong as they were in the 70s, 80s and 90s.

Hi Insider, I share your sentiment here.  Sometimes it only takes one good horse and a stallion is on there way.

What south island stallions have a chance of moving to the next level?  Coat Choice was our best last year.

Hopefully Per Incanto is about to really resurrect the Central Districts given his results to date.

From a S.I. perspective, I have high hopes for Zacinto. It will be interesting how his yearlings sell in the next few days although that really doesn't matter.

It's all about results on the track, nothing more, nothing less.

Raise The Flag hasn't done what I hoped for and Coats Choice is good, but not good enough to be a game changer.

Just my opinion. Liz

How about Highly Recommended is he the new Handsom Ransom?

How will Per Incanto re-invigorate CD breeding when he will likely be priced out of the range of the majority of CD breeding , particularly if one wins tonight. I don't imagine his fee staying the same.

Just for interest.  I have 3 Highly Recommended foals from 3 mares with very different bloodlines and theses 3 foals are very much the same type. Could pass for sisters, so similar.

Remind is another SI stallion who stamps his progeny with his own signature.  

Time will tell how many of the very good bloodlines in the South Island stallions fire - it would be nice to have a leading New Zealand stallion down here again like the glory days of the past.

Hi Tapu totally agree on the Highly Recomendeds.  They are all like peas in a pod from what I see.

The one we have here is a lovely type with a great attitude :-)

Like you say it would be nice to have a top line stallion down here.

How about Highly Recommended is he the new Handsom Ransom?

How will Per Incanto re-invigorate CD breeding when he will likely be priced out of the range of the majority of CD breeding , particularly if one wins tonight. I don't imagine his fee staying the same.

For sure he wont stay the same. The positive though is that there are any number of local breeders who have either foals on the ground or in the belly all breed off a 5K fee or from the use of their share.

Better still most of the share holders are CD based and for once they might make some money. I know a guy who has a share which gave him the opportunity to put two of his mares in-foal to him. But not only that, because he liked what he saw during the spring he put another three in foal too, all off the 5k fee and I bet that he didn't even pay 5k for each of them!

If that sort of thing doesn't help re-invigorate CD breeding tell me what will.

By the way I think that the fee will be 15k max, hopefully 12k.

At either of those fees surely one can still make money, but even more important, BREED A BLOODY HORSE WHICH IS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO WHEN I SAID RE-INVIGORATE THE CD.

After all, its fine to make money but if you don't breed Stakes Winners on a regular basis you wont last anyway. 

Re Top line stallion, to be honest how many of us could afford the service fee of a proven top line stallion? I think the stallions that the Sth Island all have nice pedigrees on paper and a number of them were nice racehorses but most of them do not get the quality mares and numbers behind them that the Nth Island stallions get which makes it harder for them to stand out against the others.

For sure he wont stay the same. The positive though is that there are any number of local breeders who have either foals on the ground or in the belly all breed off a 5K fee or from the use of their share.

Better still most of the share holders are CD based and for once they might make some money. I know a guy who has a share which gave him the opportunity to put two of his mares in-foal to him. But not only that, because he liked what he saw during the spring he put another three in foal too, all off the 5k fee and I bet that he didn't even pay 5k for each of them!

If that sort of thing doesn't help re-invigorate CD breeding tell me what will.

By the way I think that the fee will be 15k max, hopefully 12k.

At either of those fees surely one can still make money, but even more important, BREED A BLOODY HORSE WHICH IS WHAT I WAS REFERRING TO WHEN I SAID RE-INVIGORATE THE CD.

After all, its fine to make money but if you don't breed Stakes Winners on a regular basis you wont last anyway. 

The fingers couldn't keep up with brain.

The second last sentence should have read:

Breed a bloody GOOD horse which is what I was referring to when I said, re-invigorate the CD. 

Re Top line stallion, to be honest how many of us could afford the service fee of a proven top line stallion? I think the stallions that the Sth Island all have nice pedigrees on paper and a number of them were nice racehorses but most of them do not get the quality mares and numbers behind them that the Nth Island stallions get which makes it harder for them to stand out against the others.

Yea probably a fair point.  I guess sometimes its a crystal ball thing trying to anticipate which sire will be selling well in 3 years when you have a two year old.

I sometimes look at the nice stallion pedigrees we have had in the South and think if only they had more of a chance in terms of their progeny getting to the races and letting the results speak for themselves :-)