RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
meomy

Catching trains to the Races

Once more Auckland has a race meeting on a public holiday weekend & in traditional style of the Railways there are no trains running to get there as the tracks are closed for maintenance as they always are when there's a public holiday.

When will these Railways people get there act together so those that rely on trains to get them to the races are able to?

Isn't it Whips n Spurs this Labour weekend Saturday meeting?

So much for encouraging people to get to & from the races safely.

We remember to,that loads of people used to catch the trains to the races.

Why oh why Auckland has shut down it's train tracks since 2009 on public holidays is beyond us.

With a train station based right on the door step of Ellerslie it's unfortunate there Promotions team & CEO haven't got there act together & been out & about promoting to those that travel by train to hop off & enjoy going to the races on Melbourne Cup day. This should be getting done at there own local & other train stations.

Basic marketing 101.

Image if there were no trains running in Melbourne over the Melbourne Cup carnival, all hell would break lose, wouldn't it?

If our memory is correct there was threats of a train strike around 20 years ago there but it thankfully never happened

Why oh why Auckland has shut down it's train tracks since 2009 on public holidays is beyond us.

Basic marketing 101.

Are you really serious?

I would have thought it was obvious.

The best time to do maintenance is on a public holiday, where there will be less people inconvenienced by the shutdown, though I'm sure you know this, then again.

I think you overestimate the amount of people that give a flying #### about horse racing, other than the big days nobody cares, well not as much as you think anyways.

spot on Traka, Meomy is a typical Labour supporter who lives in a complete dream about real people who have to get of their arse and work 5 days a week.

Best to ignore any dribble he trots out funded by hard working NZer's.

The Melbourne cup is run on a public holiday & they don't shut the trains down on that day for those that are once more belittling us.

They also operate trains in Melbourne on public holidays as they look after there customers.

Perhaps you should take a trip to a city in NZ & see just how many people do indeed catch trains, including electric trains that operate. Get up with the play folks.

The other new trains for some lines are sitting waiting still unfortunately but will be up & running soon from what we have been reliably informed.

Where did we mention the old steam trains kakama?

How about you get your facts right mate.

Traka they do maintenance 24/7 on the railways, trust us we know people that work for them so we know first hand what goes on there for better or worse.

meomy,

You make valid and constructive posting on this topic. Dosen't deserve the juvenile braindead response from barryb.

Billions have been spent on Auckland infrastructure including the trains. Maintenance is only on some weekends as 

electrification is being rolled out. The carriages have been modernised as well electronic ticketing and timetable displays.

In fact the travel is now hugely more pleasant than waiting at traffic lights by auto.

Plus also there is an untapped market of over sixty fives who travel free that clubs in metropolitan areas could well take heed of. And I might add one dosen't need to dodge traffic cops if a bit tipsy.

The Melbourne cup is run on a public holiday & they don't shut the trains down on that day for those that are once more belittling us.

Do you think that public holiday could have anything to do with the Melbourne Cup being on ?

1.  Melbourne has a population almost the size of the whole of New Zealand.   So comparing Melbourne to Auckland is a bit silly.  Do you think the Melbourne Cup would get the same support if it was not a Public Holiday?.   Hence the trains running.  They do so to support the Melbourne Cup which is one of the biggest races on the planet.

2.  Secondly, there are few meetings on Public Holidays in New Zealand, as has been spoken about before on here.  If the Government here is doing away with tea breaks in support of 'flexible breaks' during working hours, do you think they would ever support the Auckland Cup (for example) being a Public Holiday?  I very much doubt it.

If it was perhaps the trains would run.  As an alternative perhaps there are buses that run.  Or for the more extravagant, taxi's. :)  OR....... like back in the good old days "Shanks's Pony". 

Has the prospect of running trains to Ellerslie on major racedays ever been canvassed?

If not, why not?

The people who run such facilities work for us and are well-paid to do so.

If you think that this is not financially feasible, then give me the figures.

If you don't have them, then shut up and wonder why you want to post when, in reality, you are ignorant of the facts.

"Society" exists in our interests, but this fact has been so distorted in recent times that most people have lost touch with this reality.

Yours, in anticipation of a plethora of brain-dead responses...

Ashoka

Centrofold...

Yours is a brain-dead post devoid of any fact.

You appear to believe in dismissing ideas without ascertaining any relevant information.

Please read, and, at least, attempt to understand the content.

All the best.

Ashoka

Ashoka.

I gather you are just looking for someone to bait.  Perhaps being in Pamerston North you are bored senseless :)

Let me spell this out as clearly as I can.   Don't you think Train Services do their homework and decide what days cause less inconvenience for track maintenance?  

Some people on here have got nothing better to do than complain.   It is almost like they believe the world should revolve around them.  Perhaps those people would prefer the tracks to be maintained other days causing inconvenience to the general working commuters who use the services on a more regular basis.  I believe there are four days of racing at Ellerslie on Public Holidays this racing year (Boxing Day 2014, New Years Day, Easter Monday and Queens Birthday) and generally, according the Auckland Train timetables, trains run on Public Holidays.  However, if they do not because of track maintenance, be thankful the tracks are being maintained.  The same complainers would have more to complain about if there were derailments.

It is really quite simple to comprehend.

Anno Domini

or in this case

Anniversary Day, the 2 year old Million is on

Although the Karaka Millions is run on Auckland Anniversary weekend it is being run on Sunday 25 January 2015, Alan.  Twilight Meeting.  Which is not a Public Holiday.   Monday 26 January is Auckland Anniversary Public Holiday. 

Centrefold...

You are confirming my presumption in regard to the replies that my posting would incite.

Please note the following:

• I am never bored, no matter where I happen to be, because I think for myself and always have much to contemplate
  • I have postulated an idea that I believe should be checked out...I have not demanded anything nor preempted the outcome of research
  • I understand that ideas seem simple to dismiss for you as you, apparently, require no relevant information in order to reach a decision
  • Your apparent belief that organisations innately get everything right seems to define you

Cheers.

Ashoka

Perhaps you would like to contact Auckland Transport Train Services and ask why they pick the days they do for rail maintenance.  They may be able to answer the concerns aired on this thread.

It may be presumptuous of me to think they choose a time that is less inconvenient to the bulk of train commuters.   A bit like closing the waterview link of the motorway for work between Saturday evening and Sunday morning.  How inconvenient for the traffic from West Auckland to have to detour. :(    These things happen.  Can't make an omelette, without cracking eggs ;)

Centrofold...

What concerns?

I have simply suggested that the opportunity to have train  travel to Ellerslie as appropriate should be canvassed.

Industry stakeholders pay a large sum of money to people to run racing. 

Have they already done this?

I don't know.

Do you?

If not, why are you posting?

As I said, I expected brain-dead replies and you have indulged me.

Regards.

Ashoka

There is a huge population in the Auckland central area living in apartments. Quick access to Ellerslie via train is a desirable option.

Furthermore since Auckland have sold off the car park areas there is a point where extra racegoers won't go because of lack of parking.

THe access from train to grandstand has not had any thought or development. Not something all the real estate gurus on the Auckland Racing Club Board would relate to.

There is a train service from Brittomart to the Southern Line (Ellerslie) which does include a public holiday timetable.  So there is no issue with those living in downtown apartments not to go to the races at Ellerslie by train.    However it does not stop right outside the racecourse as is the case with Flemington.

Yes, the access from the train station to the course could be improved. 

As far as the current parking goes.   I have not seen the infield parking area of Ellerslie full for years.  Plus the old public stand was knocked down which provides a parking area which was not in use for parking decades ago.  Perhaps, if required they will put a car parking building in.  Although the train station access to the race course option would be less expensive.  I would think.

Ellerslie is never going to be like Flemington on Melbourne Cup day no matter what is done.  The Auckland population alone does not demand the same facilities as Melbourne.  I think New Zealanders think beyond their pockets.   We do not have the population of Australia, therefore the revenue gathered to fund wish lists is not readily available.    Aucklanders have enough to contend with getting their heads around road tolls to fund New Zealand Transport's extravagance funding the new motorway system.  Especially the Waterview tunnel and the Northwestern/Southwestern link to the Airport.  Mind you, I am supportive of that because it effects a large number of people and business.

Not forgetting the economy does well out of oil and the Government is not exactly supportive of upgrading public transport to the same level as the money they spend on roads.  Which I do think is a bit short sighted.

Centrofold...

I like the idea of trains (public transport) because I, apparently, like getting legless...not that I remember.

All the best.

Ashoka

PS I haven't had an alcoholic drink for over eight years...so I'm really looking forward to the next one.

I have never been much fun...currently, I'm no fun at all.

:(  :(  :wub:  :angry:  :)  :)

Centrofold, please reread our posts & you will get your answers.

We have first hand info from a person that works in the Railways.

All the Auckland train tracks are shut down over the days that fall on public holidays & either immediately before or after.

Many people do not have other means of transport.

The train stops at the Greenlane round about right next to Ellerslie Racecourse so it's a perfect marketing opportunity to get new blood along to the races.How many of those that people that commute by train even know there is a Racecourse there? Or when the races are on until it is to late to organize a day off work, or other to attend?

There are no excuses for those we pay good money to both in racing & the railways to be reaching out to potential customers & looking after current ones.

Whips & Spurs was on the Saturday of Labour weekend & the same no trains happens in March when Ellerslie hold a race meeting & when Pacifica & other events are on.

They need to get there act together