RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
crustyngrizzly

R I P NELSON BUNKER HUNT

Nelson Bonker Hunt one time owner of over 1000 thoroughbreds died on Tuesday in Dallas Texas.He was 88 years old.At his peak he ownened oer 5 million acres of grazing land in Australia as well as many stud farms in Ireland NZ,US and Australia.If my memory is correct i think he owned Waikato Stud and stood Pretendre.Again if my memory is correct he raced a colt by Piko called Bartillsville in NZ and the US.He lost most of his money when he and his brother tried to corner the silver market and it collapsed.however a lot of his wealth was tied up in trusts left to him by his father and nobody could touch it.When the silver market collapsed and left him supposedly with nothing he said""a billion dollars ain't what it used to be"".

Pretendre was to be the first shuttle stallion to stand in New Zealand.  Shortly after he arrived here Canonero (by Pretendre) won the Kentucky Derby.  That made Pretendre flavour of the month amongst breeders.  His stock did not do much in New Zealand.  Hunt was also interested in breeding charolais cattle.  It took great foresight on Peter Keatinge's part to turn that Tower Road site from an average dairy farm into what they sold in 1984.

Geez now I feel old, I remember riding what I think was his first runner in NZ! Green and white checks and the cap had a pom pom, the stipes had the boss in the room over the pom pom, it was at Hawera in about 69/70………I think Kevin Old trained for him also. The horse was called Brightest or similar.