RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Tauhei Notts

ASHBURTON Abandoned - Where was NZTR National Venues Inspector?

According to the stipe that was talking to Peter Earley on the radio, the track manager had done a great job and there was nothing he could of done better to prevent it, so why was the meeting off then? It says a lot about the way the industry is headed then doesn't it!!

According to the Steward he said that it was a warm N/W WIND and 27deg the day before and no water was added.

Even without any rain,i can see why they are looking for a NEW course manager,this is bordering on Lunacy and the unfortunate club pays the price,along with owners and paying double transporting costs.

Can't control everything - and I'm certainly no expert in this - but you'd think given the circumstances, a bit of water on the track prior may have averted this and been a bit of "insurance" against this eventuality .....

The Torch/Midget you may remember that in the 1970's to the end of the century an abandoned meeting was a rarity.In those days track managers were conversant with pasture management and a lot of clubs grazed sheep.Some of these managers had solid farming backgrounds.Club committees comprised a lot of farmers.Today it is a different scene.Track managers produce marvellous looking tracks that look brilliant on T V but regrettably cannot be raced on.Farcical!Some committee members of urban race clubs have brilliant business skills but know nothing about pasture management and less about horses!

Guest 2Admin2

Just visited the NZTR website looking for details of the National Venues Inspector - Gary Foskett. Couldn't find any details nor a job description - that's not to say it isn't hidden there somewhere.

I also notice there isn't any details on a Racing and Operations manager whom you would assume that Foskett would report to.

Some questions need to be asked about the abandonment of Ashburton - was the track a dead 4 as per the requirement the day before? One would assume that had it been then the extra rain wouldn't have made the track slippery.

Are the RIU going to investigate? Will Foskett comment? Who does he report to? Is it Purcell?

What standard systems are in place to measure compliance against?

Or do we have a third world system of no accountability paid for by the mug owner?

at least the punter that knows what the entirety of form is..will have a good day on the punt tomorrow., doesn't alter the fact that the meeting should've been able to've run on Saturday. [owners, trainers and others have to fork out more and're put Out more having to race on 'the Monday]

Here we go again....Ashburton take two with the track.

One horse broke down but they said nothing to do it with the track.

Jockeys have said it is worse than Saturday...and its the entire track not just the turn.

What a c**k up!!!

why with the 1mls drizzle SAT morn..then 5mls irrigation SAT afternoon, then 8mls of Rain SAT night, why was there irrigation applied SUNday afternoon?! 

there's a 24hr rule in place that no irrigation be applied before a Race day, and in this instance...there was no need to irrigate Sunday afternoon., indeed it was That watering that's not allowed a more sure but kind surface Raceday. [a kind but safe surface]

why with the 1mls drizzle SAT morn..then 5mls irrigation SAT afternoon, then 8mls of Rain SAT night, why was there irrigation applied SUNday afternoon?! 

there's a 24hr rule in place that no irrigation be applied before a Race day, and in this instance...there was no need to irrigate Sunday afternoon., indeed it was That watering that's not allowed a more sure but kind surface Raceday. [a kind but safe surface]

Why is there no mention on the NZTR site, of the Sunday afternoon irrigation?

I was just wondering as the meeting was postponed on Saturday due to the track conditions wouldn't you of think the stipes would of asked a couple of horses to gallop there this morning to see if the track was suitable for racing.

with many trainers and owners 'staying on / over' beCause of the postponedment, why wasn't a strong objection or emphatic "Don't Do" made by somebody on Sunday, attempting to halt the Sunday afternoon's irrigation. [i was going to end that sentence with "by the Club"..but surely 'the Club' wouldn't've been so foolish to've off'f their own backs, watered Well inside the 24hrs..on a surface that'd've dried out Nicely with NO irrigation, and just the natural true Dead that SATurday's irrigation along with nature's 8mls on Saturday night! would've panned out for them :o ]

This loss to the horses of the consecutivity and essentiality to and of their form, does No favours to the impending turnovers To and of the Riccarton meetings upcoming., the punters will be 'flumoxed' and bothered., even confused in some instances..as to the fitnesses of runners whom appear suited..but can't be because too longer gap between their last race gatherings has now enforced upon them, having missed this vital race gathering into them.

Who ordered the Sunday afternoon's irrigation!

Guest 2Admin2

The question is did NZTR send their representative down?

Or are they still sunning in gay Paris?

As an owner I want to know who is paying my two days of float fees for no start.

Tuned into Radio Trackside as I was at work and racecafe was the only way I knew they were abandoned again.

If you want to know it first come to the Race Cafe.