RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
puha

Trackside/Motels

Guaranteed the Intercontinental Hotel in Wellington had Sky,how else would the team be able to keep up with what was happening.

Did you mean "keep up"  - or "keep it up" at the Intercontinental Midget?  Trackside probably not required for the latter ....

This is exactly what we had serious concerns about & raised prior to the loss of Trackside on Freeview tv - as per Freeview topics on here.

There are plenty of people that also now live in motels due to accommodation issues & there rights to retaining there interest & entertainment along bets in racing has also been affected.

Grr..

Unfortunately there are motels/ hotels that do not belong to MA & Sky TV head staff also need a shaking up by those that made this stupid & shortsighted change to our Sport of Kings & Queens & others...

I stayed in a motel based on there advertising that they had free wifi. I ask the office for the password and they gave me a printout with all the details and for my three day stay i got a small amount of data for free before I had to start paying. I don't recall the amount I had to pay once I went over the allocated amount but I do remember it was very high.

I took issue with them for there misleading advertising to be told it is a normal pratice within the industry, and if you go to some of the more up market hotels/motels you will be paying a lot more.

This really got me going, I was now pissed off, I get sick of this whole thing in NZ where we have an industry of corrupt business practices that believe in ripping people off so I started telling them that nowhere on there website does it state the free wifi is limited. After I said I will be taking this matter up with the right people we started getting into some negotiations. In the end I got my free unlimited data and I still haven't taken it further, but really be careful when you think you are booking into a motel/hotel and getting free wifi.

And yes they had no Trackside and they weren't even interested in having it, there answer was I was the first one to ever ask about it. So there you are we are a dying sport within the motel/hotel industry, they don't care!!!

Man that is bad form.I remember the wife and I went to Cup Day  a few years ago,and after the cup we decided to head back to the motel,which didn't bother me as I knew that I could watch the last couple of races on TS,and there was a couple that were staying a few doors down from us,that done the same thing.Well looks like ya can't do that now.You either have to tough It out on course for the last 2 races or resort to the radio or take ya laptop with you and watch it on the net.Crazy stuff Motels.

very annoying this.

I have stayed in quite a few hotels and motels recently and only 1 had trackside (Village Inn Havelock North which is excellent btw !)

Last night I was in a very nice hotel in Wgn. No trackside - but I had my laptop etc. Turns out wifi was $10 per hour or $26 for 24 hours !!!!

So did the personal hotspot thing through my phone for a few hours before deciding to hit a TAB pub for a beer

Taxi to Trax bar - TAB open but bar closed to be recarpeted. Needed a drink so look up pub tabs on TAB website.

Old Bailey pub nearby - walk there - no TAB any longer (WTF TAB - update the website !).

Walk up to The Pub which I knew had a self service machine. Place closed. Eventually find Three Kings (?) after another taxi - turns out it is 3 minute walk from my hotel.

the first beer went down quick !!!

thankfully Soriano and the Japanese horse covered the taxi fares...

very annoying this.

I have stayed in quite a few hotels and motels recently and only 1 had trackside (Village Inn Havelock North which is excellent btw !)

Last night I was in a very nice hotel in Wgn. No trackside - but I had my laptop etc. Turns out wifi was $10 per hour or $26 for 24 hours !!!!

So did the personal hotspot thing through my phone for a few hours before deciding to hit a TAB pub for a beer

Taxi to Trax bar - TAB open but bar closed to be recarpeted. Needed a drink so look up pub tabs on TAB website.

Old Bailey pub nearby - walk there - no TAB any longer (WTF TAB - update the website !).

Walk up to The Pub which I knew had a self service machine. Place closed. Eventually find Three Kings (?) after another taxi - turns out it is 3 minute walk from my hotel.

the first beer went down quick !!!

thankfully Soriano and the Japanese horse covered the taxi fares...

It is like 'undertaking' - it is a dying industry!  :mellow:

mmm, does take some of the gloss out of a weekend away with the mrs...used to be a given!...

at any stage you could flick on TV to get update, or watch "lets say" the Caulfield Cup

for example...any race less, while romancing, was akin to signing ya own Death Warrent!

But at least it was available and post nookie,pre dinner bet, was as enjoyable as

Breakkie in bed.

Boris goes to local Taverna last nightz - askz publicanz to switches the channel to Trackside for few mintuez to watch Caulfieldz Cup.  Sorrez he sayz - don't subscribe.

BorschIct I sayz where watch big race on first Tuesday in November?  He wasn'tz sure - didn't think about thatz even though alwayz has promoz for pretty girlz dressed up and normally allz races.

Let's hope some up the food chain read all our frustrations and make amends.The usual ritual of checking horses race morning having a nice break kid then chilling for an hour watching the first call before heading of to the course are now gone.

Boris goes to local Taverna last nightz - askz publicanz to switches the channel to Trackside for few mintuez to watch Caulfieldz Cup.  Sorrez he sayz - don't subscribe.

BorschIct I sayz where watch big race on first Tuesday in November?  He wasn'tz sure - didn't think about thatz even though alwayz has promoz for pretty girlz dressed up and normally allz races.

Boris - it is couzie Horis Hadenov here again ...

I was talking to other couzie Moris Madenov last night and he said he has a message for those in charge over the trackside on sky issue.... he said " I have upped my subscription - now up yours!"  ;)

Let's hope some up the food chain read all our frustrations and make amends.The usual ritual of checking horses race morning having a nice break kid then chilling for an hour watching the first call before heading of to the course are now gone.

. Damn predictive text not break kid breakfast!

Ascot Hotel / Motel in Invercargill also has trackside but they also have a sports bar / tab and are next to the race course so may be understandable.

hasnt been trackside anywhere else i have stayed since the change

Plenty of places I stay have Trackside, but in saying that I have made the choice to only stay at motels that have 50+ (decoder in your room)

Cannot understand why motels dont have this along with free wifi.

Its a big drawcard!

Plenty of places I stay have Trackside, but in saying that I have made the choice to only stay at motels that have 50+ (decoder in your room)

Cannot understand why motels dont have this along with free wifi.

Its a big drawcard!

Motels is a very tough business to turn a profit in...any extra costs for business unlikely to be covered in extra tariffs.

Pricing very sharp in accomm. sector......some bigger chains e.g. Sheraton have free wi fi but to most this is an add-on.

I read where now some hotels have electronically monitored mini-bar and fridges.....lift a bottle for more than a few seconds or open your fridge once too often and charges are added to your room.

A bit like the airlines and their sharp basic prices...add food or movies etc and you pay more ,soon the oxygen masks will be dropped down at regular interviews and you will need to pay for a supply in order to breathe !!!!

I'm sure motel users overall would prefer a low basic rate to pay ,then pay for extras .....as opposed to a much higher basic rates with add-ons thrown in ,meaning you pay for them even if you don't use them.

The computer is the way to go if you want to watch the Bulli dogs or Globe Derby trots in your roof...just pay for the wi-fi ,and help the struggling Motel owner make a few bucks off ya !!!

Next time any of you ask re Trackside, or for that matter WiFi, at a motel & they tell you that you are the first to ask, look the person directly in the face & ask them how many others before you have they tried to fob off that way.

It's a b/crap excuse & totally unacceptable in any customer service industry to tell such porkies.

99% of the time you wont be the first person that has raised the issue, its sheer laziness & they are paid by you to provide a service.

It's overdue some in customer service industries got a wake up call, esp in " entertainment/ hospitality" sector.

"It's the little things that mean a lot & the customer always comes first".

Try film them on your phone & show them up by exposing them online.