RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Jockeys lives ruined...

zzz i got this of wikiapedia

Daniel Baker, 23, died from head injuries after his horse fell in a race at Grafton,

New South Wales on 2 December 2007.

Charles W. Boland, Canadian jockey, thrown from his horse.

Hughie Cairns, 40, a jockey who died on 27 July 1929 in a fall at Moonee Valley, VIC. [1]

Philip Cheng, Hong Kong jockey, fell from

horse and was trampled to death.

Tom Clayton, Australian jockey, died from injuries sustained in a 12 horse fall.

Thomas Corrigan, fell to his death while riding 'Waiter' in the Grand National Steeplechase at Caulfield, Victoria on 13 August 1894.

Earl Dew, 19, American jockey, 1940 national champion. Died from head injuries caused from a spill in the 6th race on 2 February 1941. It was Earl Dew day at Agua Caliente Racetrack.

Frank Hayes, American jockey, died from a heart attack while riding his horse Sweet Kiss to victory at Belmont Park.

Willy Kan, Hong Kong jockey, fell from

horse and was trampled to death.

Cecil "Skeeter" Kelly, killed in a race fall at Glen Innes, New South Wales.

Kieran Kelly, Irish jockey, died from injuries caused by a fall at Kilbeggan racecourse, 2005.

Adrian Ledger, 25, was killed when his horse, Daring Movement, fell near the home turn at the Corowa, NSW races.

Charles John Lewis (1867-1895), was thrown onto his head and lacerated his brain during a steeplechase at Caulfield, Victoria.

Gavin Lisk, 23, died of head injuries he

suffered in a fall at the Moe races in 2005.

Manny Mercer, died in 1959 after being kicked in the head after a fall at Ascot Racecourse.

Donald Nicholson, killed in the 1885

Caulfield Cup fall, when 16 of the 44 runners fell.

Ray Oliver, killed in a fall at Kalgoorlie

Western Australia.

Jason Oliver, killed in a fall at Ascot Racecourse, Western Australia when horse broke both front legs.

Alvaro Pineda, Mexican jockey, died in 1975 through a blow to the head in the starting gates; brother of Roberto Pineda.

Roberto Pineda, Mexican jockey, died in 1978; brother of Alvaro Pineda.

Michael Rowland, American jockey, died from head injuries after falling from his horse.

Neville Sellwood, Australian Racing Hall of Fame jockey killed in 1962 at Maisons-

Laffitte Racecourse, France.

Brian Taylor, British jockey, died from injuries sustained after tumbling from his horse.

Sam Thompson, Jr., American jockey, died from injuries five days after his

mount collapsed at Los Alamitos Race Course on 30 December 2008.

Mike Venezia, American jockey, died after a race fall.

Jack Westrope, American jockey, died in 1958.

George Woolf, Canadian jockey, concussion after a fall during a race at Santa Anita Park believed to have been caused by hypoglycemia. (Woolf was a Type 1 diabetic.)

Nathana

MURRAY WALL

died in te aroha track work fall

trainner was told by the breaker in that horse was nuts and should be shot yet but the kind guy that murray was he rode it and died

What planet are you on zzz?

What on earth do mean by "You guys have a dreadful record when it comes to jockey welfare"

Jo McGartland was originally apprenticed to Gary, but it was years later when she was free lance that she clipped heels at Rangiora and died as a consequence.

Jo was a wonderful friend of ours and her accident was just that, an accident, she was riding a horse that she loved and rode all of the time in trackwork for the Coles.

Accidents do happen in all walks of life, and unfortunately some are more serious than others and the consequences are irrepairable.

It is very upsetting to friends and family when these awful tragedys are dragged up again and this is why I do not like where you are going with this topic.

I have nothing to feel guilty about and would never intentionally risk another human being or animal for that matter, so please refrain from labelling Gary & I in "You guys have a dreadful record when it comes to jockey welfare".

I had no idea you had any relationship with Jo McGartland and on that basis I'm sorry if you're offended. That was not my intention.

When I said 'you guys' I meant the collective group that has shown insensitivity by openly campaigning for the reinstatement of Rangiora when, in my opinion, they have blood on their hands. You can add Ching to that group too given his appalling lack of judgement.

I might also add that you couldn't be more wrong about the families being dismayed about this thread, on the contrary we have emails from more than one affected family that reflect exactly what I've said, they feel short changed by the industry and by the persons connected to the incidents.

I've derived information from and made informed comment on the basis of what those emails say.

The truth is that this issue will not go away until you deal with at least two issues.

1) how you handle the trauma in the aftermath, the support systems put in place, the reconciliation process, and the appropriate measures put in place to prevent a recurrance.

2) accountability, you cannot just keep putting these accidents down to 'bad luck' or attribute them to being a 'one off'.

They usually happen for a reason, there's normally a cause, and the fact the Peters and Lawson cases have clearly not been dealt with adequately, or rather both had less than satisfactory inquiries conducted by our governing body, and both still have significant doubts about what exactly happened and why, is a concern.

The presence of Ching as a common denominator is also a concern, as is his continued presence on the JCA.

I am actually doing this exercise so I can show the appropriate person why Rangiora has to be treated with great sensitivity and extreme caution, and that doesn't mean they shouldn't have trials, it just means that if and when another person suffers great trauma then we have to act on the points above, and that might even mean NZTR being charged with some form of wilful neglect.

Proportional to what?

look up proportional in the dictionary, and then do a quick reccy with the names we have so far mentioned, once you've done that do the exercise based on populations of racehorses and humans (jockeys).

It's fairly obvious that Canterbury has a problem, proportionally, and Rangiora has a problem, proportionally, and that some trainers have a problem...proportionally.

Got it??

look up proportional in the dictionary, and then do a quick reccy with the names we have so far mentioned, once you've done that do the exercise based on populations of racehorses and humans (jockeys).

It's fairly obvious that Canterbury has a problem, proportionally, and Rangiora has a problem, proportionally, and that some trainers have a problem...proportionally.

Got it??

Well I thought you were doing the exercise but I agree that the data should be analysed in proportion to both horse and jockey populations at least. That was part of the point of posting the earlier article which draws geographical conclusions about horse related injuries in proportion to human populations, only without consideration of horse populations. I'll be interested to see what you come up with and whether there's any statistically significant differences between regions.

The Stacey brothers were Murray and Stephen. But I cannot recall either coming to grief in the way you mention. I do recall one of the Rowland brothers being killed by such means in Cambridge about 1974. It took several hours to find him, given how thick the fog was.

Don't think Stephan was ever a Jockey ...was friends with them and their dad ...

This may be naive, but if you sent a circular round to every jockey asking who would be happy to race at Rangiora again, would that not give you a fair indication of whether it is worth continuing to pursue this topic - I think it would be interesting to see the response regardless of the result.

Megan I dont think you are naive, but on the right track.

If the jockeys aren't happy to ride at Rangiora then thats the end to it as far as I can see.

No point in holding trials or races if there are no riders willing to attend the meeting.

The trials scheduled for the 29th June should tell the story.

On a personal note it doesn't worry me one way or the other, far easier for us if trials are held down our way, but as I have stated before we have no suitable tracks available at this time to use.

It is up to the NZTR, trainers and jockeys in Canterbury to decide the fate of Rangiora, not zzz, Me or anyone else not directly associated with the course.

What will be will be.

Megan I dont think you are naive, but on the right track.

If the jockeys aren't happy to ride at Rangiora then thats the end to it as far as I can see.

No point in holding trials or races if there are no riders willing to attend the meeting.

The trials scheduled for the 29th June should tell the story.

On a personal note it doesn't worry me one way or the other, far easier for us if trials are held down our way, but as I have stated before we have no suitable tracks available at this time to use.

It is up to the NZTR, trainers and jockeys in Canterbury to decide the fate of Rangiora, not zzz, Me or anyone else not directly associated with the course.

What will be will be.

Yeah, I must admit I only have good memories from Rangiora - and only ridden one trial there quite a few years ago so certainly not qualified to make judgement but I just feel that it is up to the jockeys to decide - if they are not comfortable riding there then don't. You may be able to put limited pressure on a jockey to ride a particular horse or at a particular track in this case, but I don't believe you can force someone who genuinely feels there is a danger there to ride.

Megan bullying riders is a definite no go zone.

If a track is deemed unsafe it shouldn't be used doesn't matter where it is situated.

None of us want to see jockeys or horses lives jeopardised.

Life is precious so no one should ever put another person in a position they are not comfortable with.

2 Brothers rode I think - Trevor and Peter?

Trevor was the oldest and the one who suffered the fatal fall. At the time, Peter had started his appenticeship at Matamata (don't know with who). After the accident, their mother wanted Peter out of the game but he wanted to continue.

Trevor was the oldest and the one who suffered the fatal fall. At the time, Peter had started his appenticeship at Matamata (don't know with who). After the accident, their mother wanted Peter out of the game but he wanted to continue.

Last time I saw Peter (a few years ago) he owned a string of night-clubs in Hamilton. Maybe someone from the area can update us.

John Messents fall was at Hawera.It was a two division race and I rode in the 2nd.after his fall we had to wait for the ambulance to return but it didnt for a long time so finally the decision was made that the course doctor would follow us around in a car.The track was treacherous and luckily nothing fell in the second division.The races were called off straight after.As far as I know john messent is still around.I hope so a very nice guy and good rider

...and a pretty good one too, especially over the jumps. Murray moved to Australia many years ago.

must have had a Blonde moment - he baby sat my daughter she was18months old once - she trashed the house -

He said he was going to tidy up before I got home - yeah right -

but they were a laugh and good fun - went to the jockeys rugby with them -

her name is Stacey - no relation though !!!

Well I thought you were doing the exercise but I agree that the data should be analysed in proportion to both horse and jockey populations at least. That was part of the point of posting the earlier article which draws geographical conclusions about horse related injuries in proportion to human populations, only without consideration of horse populations. I'll be interested to see what you come up with and whether there's any statistically significant differences between regions.

And with the horse and jockey populations at the time of accidents

Megan bullying riders is a definite no go zone.

If a track is deemed unsafe it shouldn't be used doesn't matter where it is situated.

None of us want to see jockeys or horses lives jeopardised.

Life is precious so no one should ever put another person in a position they are not comfortable with.

I agree Pam, but they should not be bulled not to ride either if they wont to.

I agree Pam, but they should not be bulled not to ride either if they wont to.

No argument from either perspective there, however, if there is a pattern of behaviour, be it from a trainer, ie the Parsons or the Prices, a steward, ie Ching, a club committee, ie Rangiora, or a track management team, see Rangiora, then those people should be removed from any influential decision making processes.

This thread ha shown conclusively that the North Island is reasonably safe, well apart from Johny Messent and Tinaka Balcombe we haven't too many major accidents, the South is fairly safe apart from young Sam McRae, but the majority of fatals and life chnaging accidents occur in Canterbury jurisdiction.

Fatalities; Reed, Hewitson, McGarten, Gosling, Peters.

Life changing; Lawson, Jamison (Jackie), Lawn, Thornley/Coleman, Skelton (Max)and I may have missed a few or have minor details wrong but that is the data as contributed here to date, and statistically it screams that there's a problem there.

lindsay, john is still around ,caught up with him at kevin thompson funeral,i was in the first division that day,sould have been called off after that race.

' if there is a pattern of behaviour, be it from a trainer, ie the Parsons or the Prices, a steward, ie Ching, a club committee, ie Rangiora, or a track management team, see Rangiora, then those people should be removed from any influential decision making processes.

and insert NZTR or NZR board member! :rolleyes: