RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Midget

Jockeys lives ruined...

On 1/11/2018 at 12:49 PM, poundforpound said:

About 72/73

The accident was 07Jul1973 returning from Timaru races, DR and Dianne were killed the other two Anning and Latimer injured.

It was a sad day in the 80's when I heard Tracey Khan (Ron's Niece) & Tracey Reddaway (Keith's Daughter) from Matamata were killed at the bottom of the Kaimai's on the way home from Poverty Bay races. 😥 It was not so many weekends beforehand I'd met the pair at a social gathering at Ron Khans Fieldhouse Park. I can't remember the year exactly...mid to late 1980's? I was a young teen at the time they were older possibly around 18? I was in charge of the music and still remember the girls requesting songs and dancing. Particularly Tracey Khan dancing to Madonna's song Holiday. Former jockey Don Margison was Tracey's partner at the time from memory? Teenage memories aye! 😑 🤧😟

Young Hunter Thomas was a friend of mine at Hagley high school in the third form. I left Hagley high to go to Rangiora high after 3 months at Hagley high. I was at Rangiora high school only a week and my dear friend Hunter dame me dead started at Rangiora High was well. We was the best of mates right through school. When Hunter and I left school we keeped in touch when we started our new careers. Hunter at the Harris's horse stables and me on a mixed cropping farm just out of Ashburton. Hunter rung me up one night so so excited about him racing in his first steeple race that was at the Ashburton race track he come to the races and we have a catch up. I was so good seeing Hunter again after not seeing him for like 8mths was great. I watched the race in horror to see his horse in the middle as 3 horses up over the steeple at the same time and colliding with Hunter getting crushed and falling off his horse and getting trampled by other horses. I never forget that day for as long as I live. He was the best kindest and funniest loving guy to be around with. Hunter will always be deep in my heart and one day we will meet again im sure. To this day I still miss my wee buddy Hunter. Kevin Numan

Hello Tarl, I certainly remember him. I was a year or two or three older (now 74) but there wasn’t that much between us. What I will say is that from my perspective he was an excellent jockey, extremely  talented. I think that I can give you a contact that knows far more than me about your dad.  He was a jockey in Christchurch at the same time as David and very talented also. I will private message you. 

On 7/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, tarl Harris-reed said:

Does anyone have more memories of David earnest reed by chance I'm his son he died when I was 1 years old so all I have is photos and a few story's 

Hi Tarl , i have a friend who was best mates with your dad and is happy to help you , if you would like to PM me i will give you his email address , good luck .

Hi Tarl, Iv'e tried researching the facts but NZ Thoroughbred Racing doesn't have them, but I think that your dad once or twice [maybe more] rode the greatest mare that I ever saw race in NZ. Her name was Show Gate. 

Hopefully you are making some headway in finding out a little more about your dad.

On 7/24/2021 at 11:06 PM, Baz (NZ) said:

It was a sad day in the 80's when I heard Tracey Khan (Ron's Niece) & Tracey Reddaway (Keith's Daughter) from Matamata were killed at the bottom of the Kaimai's on the way home from Poverty Bay races. 😥 It was not so many weekends beforehand I'd met the pair at a social gathering at Ron Khans Fieldhouse Park. I can't remember the year exactly...mid to late 1980's? I was a young teen at the time they were older possibly around 18? I was in charge of the music and still remember the girls requesting songs and dancing. Particularly Tracey Khan dancing to Madonna's song Holiday. Former jockey Don Margison was Tracey's partner at the time from memory? Teenage memories aye! 😑 🤧😟

Tracey use to ride  Glenstrae who was responsible for a brilliant days punting for me  at Ellerslie beating a good field of sprinters on a 1.18 track in June. Lifes a bitch

On 7/17/2023 at 3:21 PM, tarl Harris-reed said:

Does anyone have more memories of David earnest reed by chance I'm his son he died when I was 1 years old so all I have is photos and a few story's 

If you want to know what really happened that day your dad was taken, ask Paul Thistoll, not that he'd probably tell the truth anyway.  David was in no fit state to ride that 2nd horse that day, he'd taken about an hour just to walk to & from shop for an icecream was sitting having it & coffee when Paul & others kept giving him S..T  teasing & goadiing him as morons do about  riding the 2nd horse that ended up resulting in his sad demise.  How he was even allowed to ride given his medical condition is beyond me as well as not being fit enough at that time to according to experienced jocks present.  Paul can thank his lucky miserable life he never got smashed over for his major part as I know who wanted to & so pleased they didn't Paul's not worth it Karma deals to them eventually.  Those present know who along with {Paul have blood on their hands over that disgusting treatment dished out by those morons to David that morning.  

Tarl your Dad David Reed had a remarkable association with Show Gate. He rode her 8 times for 7 wins and a second. Ashburton 13/3/73, Riccarton Great Easter Handicap 23/4/73, Riccarton 28/4/73, Banks Peninsula 27/10/73, Riccarton Stewards Handicap 3/11/73, Riccarton Churchill Stakes 10/11/73, Wingatui 26/12/73 ran second and Kurow 5/1/74.

Hi Tarl,

A racing historian has just phoned to say that between the racing seasons 68/69 and 74/75 your Dad rode 150 winners.

In those days in the South Island racing was held but once a week, except for the Carnivals, so that's a pretty good result especially given how long apprentices often take to get going.

Gubellini mentioned in his posting above, his great association with Show Gate. I knew that he had one, but not to that level!