RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
nek minute

who to send my mare to

hi guys i have a nice maiden mare by postponed thats had a win from a handful of starts. she is a 3/4 to a group 1 winner and is out of a stark south mare. we want a sire thats fairly new to stud and have a 10k budget what are your ideas on whos the best value. im new to breeding 

Sweet Orange perhaps if you are looking for a sprinter/miler.Brent Gillovic is standing him at Highview Stud for a very affordable $5,000.If you are hoping for a stayer perhaps look at the young High Chaparral stallion Redwood.I think his fee is $6,000.

something with bolak or wharf in the pedigree

if you cant get that

guillotine

and call it

nopainnogain.

My syndicate has a FILLY by Swiss Ace to name.

Any ideas ??

I see the tennis swiss ace had a very lucky win in Shanghai Tennis.

Any news on RF ???

ps...SBW took the crowd from 3000 to 8000 in rugby game last night.He played 20 mins off bench.

it was Beautiful play !!!!!

tasman man 11 what is the Swiss Ace filly out of?

Out of a Thorn Park mare.

You may be in the syndicate.

Swiss Ace's mum was Rapid Serve and grand-dam Tennis Partner.

I thought Pogo may be able to help as he is a tennis expert ,plus his household and pickle factory has a strong European female presence.

But thanks for your help !!!! 

hi guys i have a nice maiden mare by postponed thats had a win from a handful of starts. she is a 3/4 to a group 1 winner and is out of a stark south mare. we want a sire thats fairly new to stud and have a 10k budget what are your ideas on whos the best value. im new to breeding 

Sorry about hi- jacking your thread but Gotta like Tavistock on recent results....$7k plus gst.

I think he may be fully booked this season.

You should ask Peter Jenkins on Competitions thread.

He's the Postponed guru ,I'm sure he will assist you.

Good Luck !!!

Unfortunately Tavistock's out of the loop because he's fully booked. That's a very tricky mare to mate up. She's by Postponed who is by Summer Squall who is by Storm Bird who is by Northern Dancer. Just so happens that Postponed's Grand dam is also by Northern Dancer. Your mare is also out of a Stark South mare. Stark South is by Dixieland Band who is also by Northen Dancer.

This is very American blood which is dirt track stuff which is a very different type of horse in relation to turf. If you have a look at Postponed's best, they are Dorobella, Pasta Post, Postman's Daughter and Naturo. That's the type you need to replicate based on the sires side of life. As you haven't given us what the family is then we can't assess the right ideals in relation to this.

If it were me, I'd go Showcasing

nek minute

Interesting mare. I note she is a strong grey which has traces back on her female line through a succession  of grey mares (4 in total) to a Grey Sovereign mare. Also the matching with Postponed has produced your mare and from her grandam ( Blue Heaven) has produced Pasta Post.

I agree with Berri's comment on USA dirt track form but Postponed seems to have worked with Sir Tristram blood and in your mare's family  Centaine could have been beneficial. As always it depends if you are breeding to race or sell.

So have a look at Showcasing as Berri suggests but also -- Jimmy Choux ( Centaine) , Sufficient ( Sir T & Centaine) , Power ( similar to Showcasing but brings in a line of Grey Sovereign on the bottom line) and if you are definitely breeding to sell look at Cape Blanco.

I'm sure Henri Joost could come on here and also present a good case for Indy King.

Hi Nek minute - agree with Breeder Sufficient looks good giving you some more Centaine and Sir Tristram as you are new to breeding try to see the stallions on your short list in person and take it from there. I watched Sophie Louise's racing replay and she looks like a lovely mare. I will get back to you with some more ideas but just busy at the mo.

Questions:

Are you breeding to race? Breeding to sell is a whole different ballgame!! (as it stands I would think she is a non commercial proposition)

Is there a region in NZ you are limited to?

10k is this for stud fee or inclusive of vet costs? Scans etc..

What is your rationale for using a newish stallion? considering they are only new if you go to a first season sire they are not newish 3 years down the track when your horse is due out as a 2 year old - they can be confined to the failed stallion bin by that stage

Look forward to others replies and hope to help:) :)

Not 100% sure if we will race or sell. Possibly race unless it's a very nice type?? I have looked at super easy as I like him as a racehorse and he would be a apealing to the Asian buyers. She is a bit hot so anything that is a bit hot wouldn't go together maybe??

nek minute

I'm sure Henri Jooste could come on here and also present a good case for Indy King.

Thank you for the invitation for my 5 cents worth Breeder !

A few points that need to be made:-

Firstly until this mare can produce a black type winner her offspring will be confined to Festival Sale status.  The question therefore Nek Minute is whether you want to continue along the breeding pathway with her ? You do ! Great because now you can use any sire that you choose to produce that elusive black type winner without the constraints of fashion dictating.

The most obvious first choice for sire would then be Ekraar for your mare Sophie Louise. The resultant foal would be bred on the same pattern that produced the very good race mare Rising Romance. There is a good chance that you may be able to breed another good horse this way because Rising Romance is the product of an affinity between members of the Missy Baba family when duplicated within pedigrees. Missy Baba is the dam of Gay Missile (dam of Lassie Dear). Lassie Dear is of course the grand dam of Summer Squall the sire of Postponed.  To distill down my point, Rising Romance features linebreeding to the relatives Raja Baba and Lassie Dear. The best example of exactly this pattern, in reverse, is the brilliant sprinter across the ditch Hay List.

If you like what I have described but want to explore another option then Indy King could be as good an option as Ekraar. The very best colt bred to date by Indy King is the GR1 Florida Derby runner up Pleasant Prince. His pedigree features line breeding to Lassie Dear and Missy Baba (dam of Raja Baba). If you need more convincing then take a look at the pedigree of Indy King’s best daughter to race, Mindy Queen ( 10 wins including the Assinaboia Oaks in Canada and Prairie Rose Stakes in the USA). Just like Hay List and Rising Romance mentioned above Mindy Queen features linebreeding to Lassie Dear and Raja Baba. Indy King has proven to be a good sire of both sexes. The latest development with the Missy Baba family is duplicating Lassie Dear in pedigrees which is proving to be as effective, so Indy King over Postponed mares makes sense.

Below are pedigree grids for the horses described:-

g8mcjJj.png

tHfjht8.png

pF61Jto.png

TpWtSZI.png

nek minute

Since you appear to be from the South Island , I'd add Highly Recommended to the list of stallions to look at.

Hi Breeder.  Do you suggest Highly Recommended here because of the double up of Grey Soverign or other reasons.  We have a foal on the way with this double up so are interested if this is the reason? :-)

Irish Bay

Yes you do get two extra lines of Grey Sovereign from HR but also and more importantly you get a cross of Crimson Saint ( dam of Royal Academy in Fastnet Rock. She is also the granddam of Chapel of Dreams in Postponed) . In fact Chapel of Dreams and Royal Academy are similarly bred as one is by Northern Dancer and the other by a son of Northern Dancer.

I'll have to look later but I think there have been a few good horses resulting from the doubling of Crimson Saint.