RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Black Kirrama

Balmerino remembered tonight

For those of you who had a Japanese National Transistor radio----  with Short wave -- and were aged about 26  ( in 1977  ? )

listening to Peter Kelly's call on the great horse is  one of those great racing memories.

The Arc is on Racing Channel 2   about 3 am Monday morning..

This should be a NZ National Holiday to celebrate the most travelled and successful Group One performer ever bred in NZ.

From memory  he raced in Italy, England, USA, Australia, and France after NZ.

Can not believe it is nearly 40 years ago.

Will watch the coverage  tomorrow  with a cup of tea and toast and think of how BJ (Smith) must have thought about having Dunlop Train "His" Champion. Lester ( On Alleged) out rode Hutchings...

Rambling Kidd there should be a Statute of Limitations on bagging jockeys.Get over it!

Weird, where did I bag the jockey ?

You sound awfully like some one else  ...  :ph34r:  

and if you need a comment about the ride and the horses potential to win, ask Maurie ... ;)

I was a recent graduate flying to London for my OE in 1977. Started up a conversation with the gentleman sitting next to me on the plane and after initial pleasantries he told me he was on his way to France to watch his horse race and my teenage years loitering around TABs enabled me to proffer "you must be Mr Stuart". No better way to pass the time on a flight than by talking horses. Those were the days! A super performer who lined up something like 17 times as 3year-old for maybe 14 wins?

Not sure how many of the Petone crew were hanging around Longchamp in "77.

bal  merino :wub:

some one will remember his first run in (aus) i reckon it was at rosehill

m campbell up ?

pushed through on the fence at got the money ?

or is it a thousand coronas ruined my memory. :o

great horse.

Balmerino is the great-grandad of our filly. Overall he appears to have been a bit of a disappointment as a sire? He must have got some high quality books in his early years. Are their any of our champion horses in recent years who trace back to Balmerino?

Talk he sired King Delamere who sired top horse Corndale.Some of his better progeny were Metropolitan winners Donegal Mist and Balciano/Bounty Hawk V.R.C. Derby,Mackinnon Stakes. Eastern Classic All Aged Stakes winner.He was the dam sire of Slipper winner Belle du Jour.

Treve, Costume and the Turnbull Stakes winner.  Three mares in top "weight for age" races in three countries over one weekend.

I am beginning to wonder about the fairness of the sex allowance in weight for age events.

Were you wondering the same when mares have not been winning their share of the Kelt in recent years?

My first memory of any raceday was at ellerslie,balmerino in 77, I was 9, the next was going to blue denims auckland cup (awful wet day) in 80, don't remember much in between but didn't miss many race days after :)