RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
jess

Des C got gelded?

Was reminded just now what it is that frustrates me about Des on the radio.    

A caller was referring to an earlier interview (that I hadn't heard) that another Trackside presenter had done with Trudy Thornton recently.  It seems that Trudy had made reference to David Walker and said something along the lines that he wasn't the only one "doing it" (illicit betting, presumably).  Today's caller went on to ponder whether perhaps the RIU should be talking to Trudy about her comments - see what she knew etc?

Well!  -, Des hosed it down quicker than you can call triple one! - despite the fact the caller's comments amounted not so much to a fire - as the tiniest flare of a new-struck match!

He even went on to place his own spin on what Trudy had actually meant by what she had said (apparently he is able to inhabit her mind and thoughts now) - and to opine that her words were tongue in cheek ( and therefore of little consequence).

And quickly Des moved right along to middle-aged Mary of Mangaweka who wanted to talk about how well her dollar each way in the 3rd at the Bay went the other day .... (ok - I confess this caller is my own invention - but you get the drift ...) 

Don't get me wrong - Des is chatty, amiable and reasonably knowledgable.  But IMO he is just so goddamn timid!!  Any time there is any caller with anything to say which has the merest hint that it could spark some lively debate or (god forbid) controversy - Des toes the party line and dilutes what's been said till all we're left with is luke warm and vanilla flavored.

I accept he has to be careful of anyone saying anything slanderous - and I acknowledge he's entitled to adopt the stance where he personally refuses to be critical of our racing bodies or individuals.  But I wish he would stop shutting down every conversation that might stray into areas which might be seen as provocative,  If he could relax and impose himself less (velvet-gloved as his dicatorship is ... ;)  )  - I, for one, would enjoy his programme a lot more. 

C'mon Des - just for once - if you can't unleash the stallion within - please let other people walk theirs out of the stable now and again ....  

Just my take on it.

J

He even went on to place his own spin on what Trudy had actually meant by what she had said (apparently he is able to inhabit her mind and thoughts now) - and to opine that her words were tongue in cheek ( and therefore of little consequence).

Seems insulting to Trudy

I agree with Jess. Des is beholden to his masters and has obviously been given strict guidelines for the show.

God forbid that anyone raise any contentious issue, or, shock horror, dare to criticize those in lofty positions....!!

The arse kissing that went on when Bayliss and his team were on a while ago telling us how good they were and what wonders they were about to perform, should have given us a heads up on future direction..

......what a waste of time that was...

Freedom of speech anyone.....?? ;)

I think Des runs a wonderful programme for the industry , I can think of about 6 others I would hate to have to listen too......... clearly this was a very serious accusation and the callers comments were unsubstatiated at the time. I think it was suggested that he listen to the interview and I would have done the same under the circumstances before picking at the scab and calling the ambulance. 

The words libellous and defamatory spring to mind and they are very expensive if you get it wrong.

Sorry Jess I have to disagree with you about Des.I have been a regular caller for a number of years and have raised a number of controversial issues with him and he has allowed me full reign.Issues such as the $14 million Typhoon Betting System/Slow starting gates/Stakes for some feature races being less than they were 25 years ago etc.I heard Trudys interview.I predict her claims will be followed up!

A bit tough on Des here I think.

First off he's a good bloke, loves the game and puts a lot of work into it.

Secondly when he's on the radio he is employed by the nzrb (?), and while it's easy for us to be critical of him being soft etc, how many of us publicly criticise our employers?

I actually think he does raise issues and debate them. His informant column also does this.

Totally agree with you Chelseacol.He is inscrutably fair to all his callers and is very personable.He has been in racing media for well over 40 years and still retains his enthusiasm! He even tolerates the callers who speak through their pockets about some so called shortcoming of a jockey etc.!

Havn,t listened to Des,s show for a year or so on a Sunday morn...shame as i really enjoyed it!

BUT  from memory, too many ads and if he doesn,t agree or wants to move on, as comment/subject

controversial...he will make a comment and cut caller off!!!

Thanks Kakama.I mainly ring Des to answer caller queries about horses/racing people.Many are grateful for the information.For example the name Blue Winter came up.He was one of the first good horses that the late Jim Campin trained.He was cleverly named being by Blueskin 2 out of Red Summer.What is pathetic and nonsensical about providing that information Kakama.I provided his racing stats as well.

My apologies Kakama! The horse I was thinking of was Kankama.He was foaled in 1975 by Skyhawk 2 out of the Prince Poppa mare Poppa's Gold. I see Kakama means Mask of Speed.Great name!

Kakama another query I answered on Des's programme was from a relative of the Hastings jockey Bill Lepper.Bill rode between 1946 and 1961.If you can tell me how many winners he rode again I will make a donation to a charity of your choice.

Thanks RK.If I want medical advice I will consult my doctor.I will extend my offer to Kakama to you.I will await your answers with interest.Your derogatory adjectives display a limited knowledge of the English language matched only by your limited knowledge of racing!

Another challenge to RK and Kakama.Please ring Des next Sunday and talk about a controversial subject.I doubt that he will give you the swerve.He is far more polite/tolerant to people than you pair!

RK Rambling Kidd was foaled in 1974 by Scottish Command out of the Warrior mare Sheryll's Daughter.My memory is not so bad! Incidentally Scottish Command won an Auckland Cup driven by the late Ian Hunter.Ian drove a winner for me at Hutt Park on 27/2/81.

RK further proof that my memory is not so bad.I can remember Togo/Beryl Lee walking pacers along Taylor St in the 1960's to the old Cambridge grass track.Ha Ha!