RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Slim Shady

4th placing

After the greyhound industries hard grafter's being shafted by the Association in regards to petrol vouchers and the fact a stake increase is not likely in the next 100yrs then maybe its time we all get behind them paying us out for 4th place. The TAB now make very good money of 4th place getters and we are getting jacksh*t for supplying the product they are making all those bucks off. The horsey people would of kicked up a right stink by now but it doesn't affect them as they already earn stake money for running 5th. The first four bet type's are very popular and generate big dollars, I think it's time they paid for this product, should be at least $50 across the board for all 4th place runners despite grade/distance/feature race etc, keep it simple so they action it and don't attempt to put it in the "too hard bin".

completely agree,tab making money out of 4th place,so wheres our share

Yes the TAB and other outlets around Australia are making money from first 4 bets, so the owners are getting shafted, the only way you will get progress if all trainers went on strike . NO way should Group 1 stake money be increased until  owners are looked after across the board

Yes the TAB and other outlets around Australia are making money from first 4 bets, so the owners are getting shafted, the only way you will get progress if all trainers went on strike . NO way should Group 1 stake money be increased until  owners are looked after across the board

I'm going to explore what avenues to take with raising this issue, it's only fair we get something for supplying the product. Chances are they will do there sums and quickly raise the vouchers back to $40 to stop it going any further!

I'd rather see petrol vouchers scrapped altogether and the money saved go toward a 4th stake money, then it is at least some recompense for running a competitive race.

Absolutely, petrol vouchers encourage mediocrity and poor fields.  We should be encouraging competitiveness and excellence.  

They should scrap the tier 2 races (which dont even do the job they were originaly were meant to by giving bad dogs form as they select of best form)) and only have nz bred c5 series, why should average dogs get 4-5k checks of nzrs graduation and novice series

How much $ does the NZTAB recieve from those betting on NZ greyhounds thru the Aussie TAB? I think some of you guys need to take a look at non-commingled totes and actually realise how important it is we try get new punters / owners involved in the industry... They are embarrassing to say the least.

Since their now giving $40 to each of the 5 non place getters, why not split that $200 differently?

4th $80

5th $60

6th $40

7th $20

8th Cheers for showing up. Better luck next time.

Would that not be better in rewarding the owner/trainer of an unplaced dog?

A forth might cover petrol, wear & tear and a sandwich & cold drink for two for lunch.

A fifth might cover petrol and wear & tear.

A sixth might cover petrol.

A seventh might help to pay for petrol.

An eighth couldn't have finish any further back!

If they have to go ahead and reduce to $20 as their now suggesting, simply cut the value I've mentioned in half. (although I hope the cut back doesn't happen)

It wasn't that mant moons ago we had to pay a nomination fee to get into a race and now we are complaining about not getting enough for nothing?

Maybe we should now have 4th, 5th and 6th place medals at the Olympics as they are providing a product as well, how far do you go?

This expecting something for nothing mentality is pathetic in my book, if you can't provide a competitive product for punters to bet on then why should you be rewarded?

There are many dogs who are just in the fields to get a petrol voucher to fund the trip to the races for the more competitive dogs in the kennel, you hear all the time people saying 'this is my petrol voucher dog' .

We should scrap the petrol vouchers and put the $200 currently paid out to unplaced runners in petrol vouchers to a 4th stake money cheque as a reward for at least being competitive in a race, any further back than that then you don't deserve to get anything.

The TAB now make very good money of 4th place getters and we are getting jacksh*t for supplying the product they are making all those bucks off. 

Wednesday afternoon & six races gone by in Whanganui.

In those 6 races the total first 4 pools when added up equals $13125.

What is the take out % for tote betting?

At 20% with the pools totalling $13125 that would make the input $16400 leaving $3275 in profit for the bet type alone.

10% of that profit would be $327 or just over the $50 per race you've suggested SS.

It wasn't that mant moons ago we had to pay a nomination fee to get into a race and now we are complaining about not getting enough for nothing?

Maybe we should now have 4th, 5th and 6th place medals at the Olympics as they are providing a product as well, how far do you go?

This expecting something for nothing mentality is pathetic in my book, if you can't provide a competitive product for punters to bet on then why should you be rewarded?

There are many dogs who are just in the fields to get a petrol voucher to fund the trip to the races for the more competitive dogs in the kennel, you hear all the time people saying 'this is my petrol voucher dog' .

We should scrap the petrol vouchers and put the $200 currently paid out to unplaced runners in petrol vouchers to a 4th stake money cheque as a reward for at least being competitive in a race, any further back than that then you don't deserve to get anything.

You cant compare Racing of this age  to the days of paying to nominate, or can you  compare  our sport to medals at the Olympics. The Racing board use Racing and it's competitors  as a Medium to make money.  The Racing Board make money from every runner that makes up a greyhound field. 

You theory is fine if we just have racing  and the stake money is obtained by sponsorship or advertising and no  third party is making  money from owners entering there dog. 

Well I think you can compare, yes meat, kibble and petrol and the 'extras' are a lot more expensive nowadays than when racing in the days of paying for nominations, but the stake money is also a lot higher now than what we were racing for back then.

We also have to realise that yes we are putting on a product for punters but there are a hell of a lot of other racing that punters could bet on.

As for third party's making money on our races, yes that is true, but what about if our stake money was only paid out on what our turnover was? I think we would come out a lot worse off if you do the maths (and I don't have the inclination to do it!)

Yes we are always striving for more stake money, but we have to improve the product to do this and by paying trainers/owners 'just to turn up', well where is the incentive to strive for the best in that?