RaceCafe..#1...Tipsters Thread.... Share Your Fancies For Fun...Lets See Who The Best Tipsters Here Are.
Mardy

Vespa

Did anyone else see how unlucky he was at around the 300m?.After trailing the leader all the way,he was going for a run inside the leader,when it looked like that the leader who was starting to give ground laid in on Vespa,and 2+3 was lucky to stay on board.The horse then picked himself up again and hit the line pretty well for 6th.I know he wouldn't of beaten the impressive winner but in  my mind I'm certain that that interference cost him of at least running 2nd.It was his first run over in Oz and I don't think he'll be embarrassed over their.Interesting also was that none of the TVN boys commented on the unlucky Vespa.

Did anyone else see how unlucky he was at around the 300m?.After trailing the leader all the way,he was going for a run inside the leader,when it looked like that the leader who was starting to give ground laid in on Vespa,and 2+3 was lucky to stay on board.The horse then picked himself up again and hit the line pretty well for 6th.I know he wouldn't of beaten the impressive winner but in  my mind I'm certain that that interference cost him of at least running 2nd.It was his first run over in Oz and I don't think he'll be embarrassed over their.Interesting also was that none of the TVN boys commented on the unlucky Vespa.

Agreed. Liberation has a record of racing erratically and unfortunately for Team Vespa they found out the hard way.

As Mr Biff is in South America and as a good "other half" does, I need to keep the fire stoked….

From Barrier 1, they should have done their homework as the race map would have told you they would be looking for a run at the top  of the straight…and yes, it should have been a much discussed tactic to avoid Liberation at all costs…in fact the Lady Trainer joked that perhaps "he would lay in" this way of going….and so she was proved correct, and Team Vespa found out the hard way.

He is a good colt, but just being a good horse is not the be all and end all…..you need strategies when you mix it with the big boys at this time of the year.

The way I saw it (just once, on tv) the other horse shifted in when there had previously been a gap on the rail for Vespa to improve into.  I thought Vespa was stiffed - just glad he only blundered badly as a result and wasn't put over the rail.

I was also surprised none of the comments ppl/commentator said anything about it ...hopefully Vespa took no harm from it. 

I was at Caulfield and had Vespa in everything. I was always worried having MDP on in Melb but I think he rode her fine. Liberation was always going to cause a problem for someone and unfortunately it was Vespa. Stopped in his tracks and may have run a place uninterrupted. Don't know about 2nd (2nd and 3rd were both strong at then end) but would have been interesting. Tough for Connections - but that's racing. As for the Dissident protest - thank goodness it was dismissed. But if Dissident had not headed The Gust at the 50m, then I reckon it would have been interesting.

Why would you be worried about MDP on in Melbourne?? He has ridden Caulfield and Flemington numerous times including Caulfield and Melbourne cups.

He knows Vespa and his ways better than any jockey. He is a world class jockey having ridden for years in the hotbed of international racing Hong Kong. In his last full season there he ran 7th in the premiership and you were worried. His achievements in Singapore and NZ are well documented.

He is a champion jockey, a champion bloke and a proud Kiwi.

Bring on Flemington next sat where he rides Bounding and Albany Reunion

In my opinion 2+3 showed a significant lack of judgement in staying on the rails. They were never going to let him have it easy.

Agree with Biffs comments about them not having read the race properly.

Thats the price you pay when you use an out of town jock, from NZ or anywhere.

Why would you be worried about MDP on in Melbourne?? He has ridden Caulfield and Flemington numerous times including Caulfield and Melbourne cups.

He knows Vespa and his ways better than any jockey. He is a world class jockey having ridden for years in the hotbed of international racing Hong Kong. In his last full season there he ran 7th in the premiership and you were worried. His achievements in Singapore and NZ are well documented.

He is a champion jockey, a champion bloke and a proud Kiwi.

Bring on Flemington next sat where he rides Bounding and Albany Reunion

Why then does he never smile?

In my opinion 2+3 showed a significant lack of judgement in staying on the rails. They were never going to let him have it easy.

Agree with Biffs comments about them not having read the race properly.

Thats the price you pay when you use an out of town jock, from NZ or anywhere.

And if he had got off the fence you would have all bagged him for not staying on the fence..some of you guys really have no idea.

Like the occasion and environment are all too big for him.

If any one can me exactly what his statistics (1,2,3)  are at Caulfield and Melbourne then I would be most grateful.

I cannot recall one winner in any big races, but please if you have the numbers, let them roll ......

There was nothing wrong with his ride. Some of you clowns have misread what I said so Ill repeat it just as you used to have done to you in Primmer 1 !! " He rode it well". It was not intended as a free for all bash of a very good rider, so pull your collective heads in. My point was that I think it's advantageous to have a local jockey with local knowledge. Michael Walker is a very good local jockey for instance. But having decided to take their NZ jockey, MDP, I thought he rode it well. As for that Liberation? As soon as they ban that looney head the better. He's going to stuff plenty of horses runs up in future. Given that the first four on the turn had plenty of room, the only other choice would have been for Vespa to move off the rail and go out a bit. May have made it interesting for the placings but the winner is special.

Like the occasion and environment are all too big for him.

If any one can me exactly what his statistics (1,2,3)  are at Caulfield and Melbourne then I would be most grateful.

I cannot recall one winner in any big races, but please if you have the numbers, let them roll ......

Too big for him my a... he has ridden successfully in big races all over the world... he is a top class jockey... who i will not let a few keyboard warriors without names or faces take potshots at... he rode the horse well... was unlucky  end of story.

Too big for him my a... he has ridden successfully in big races all over the world... he is a top class jockey... who i will not let a few keyboard warriors without names or faces take potshots at... he rode the horse well... was unlucky end of story.

It's just an opinion scooby... It seems it's alright for you to say John O'Shea is overrated yet not alright for someone to call an NZ jockey overrated? This site is based on people sharing different views, maybe you should make it clear for everyone who is a protected species and who isn't.

It's just an opinion scooby... It seems it's alright for you to say John O'Shea is overrated yet not alright for someone to call an NZ jockey overrated? This site is based on people sharing different views, maybe you should make it clear for everyone who is a protected species and who isn't.

No one is protected but I will let the forum be a dumping ground for people who want to bag jockeys when in my opinion it is unwarranted......he is a decent guy and it was only bad luck yesterday which can happen anytime ....so if people want to bag him over that then they have little clue about riding in a race....and that is my opinion....did you see me once stick up for D Walker as he was worthy of comment... As what he did was robbed people.

Well said Scooby. He rode it well. As for the comments about John O'Shea - again over the top by a nutter or two. He's a good trainer and has to fit into a totally different setup. He'll find his feet and then pow!!

EH ?

I wasn't bagging MDP for his ride on Sunday at all, VESPA was unlucky to collect the wayward horse !

All I wanted to know was what MDPs record was at Melbourne and Caulfield, u know, 1,2,3 placings out how many rides ... BIG wins ?

And if you wanna get bitchy about it, tell me ALL his big wins all over the world as well ......... could also be interesting ... :blink:

and once again I have nothing against MDPs ride on VESPA (who this thread was about).